WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    blue blazin' hiker trash

If you're considering these for a thru-hike keep in mind that your camp shoe is often your town shoe. I'm not sure I'd want to be traipsing around town in socks, plus, I doubt if you could even go grocery shopping in them (No shirt, no shoes...). Just a thought. But maybe you just want a camp shoe...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by java
    If you're considering these for a thru-hike keep in mind that your camp shoe is often your town shoe. I'm not sure I'd want to be traipsing around town in socks, plus, I doubt if you could even go grocery shopping in them (No shirt, no shoes...). Just a thought. But maybe you just want a camp shoe...
    Wish I could thru-hike,,,,, I'm a section hiker,, may take me 20+ yrs to finish,,, arrrgggghhhh?

No harm, no foul.

PKH

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    As to the Ion, just make sure you aren't in a hurry to eat if you get one. I love it myself, but occasionally I get folks that wish it were faster cooking. If you want some more speed and are willing to take an extra few grams there are other stoves out there that will cook faster.
    Off Topic again... sorry
    Nah,, not usually in a hurry to eat,,, & don't mind waiting the 10 to 14 min boil time. Yes, my pocket rocket will zap that water quickly,, but 4 min,,, 14 min.,, that small of a time difference doesn't cause a concern to me. I just boil water for my zip loc baggie of grub. I can remember the time a few extra pounds didn't make a difference to me,, now I'm counting every ounce,,,, as they add up.

Looking for lightweight camp shoes that double as lightweight fording shoes? check these out: http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/14/147.htm?475 The Underwear Guys just got them from "Billibong" and they are reversible if you don't like the bright colors. They're made from stretch Neopreme and pack really small. (sorry if this seems like and ad but i really think they are what many are searching for as far as lightweight, packable camp shoes and fording shoes) If i'm out of line here, someone let me know. fh

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    Looking for lightweight camp shoes that double as lightweight fording shoes? check these out: http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/14/147.htm?475 The Underwear Guys just got them from "Billibong" and they are reversible if you don't like the bright colors. They're made from stretch Neopreme and pack really small. (sorry if this seems like and ad but i really think they are what many are searching for as far as lightweight, packable camp shoes and fording shoes) If i'm out of line here, someone let me know. fh
    No, Fiddlehead,, definately not out of line,, thanks for the link. I've actually seen these in other threads here,, & have considered these,,,,,, just no tread on the bottom,, so on a rainy evening @ camp,, these would leak thru (unless I also used waterproof/VBL socks). On their web, I noticed size up to XXL, which from prev posts here, would not fit my size 13 foot--comfortably. In past posts, someone mentioned buying XXXL,, seems no longer available on their website. Maybe I should shoot them an email & ask.
    Last edited by Big Dawg; 08-06-2005 at 09:10.

I just picked up a pair of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/47947092.htm?vcat=REI_SEARCH

My guess is that they are more of a "water resistant" sock. Anybody have any experience with these?

Anyways I'll give you a field report when I'm done with the cold and rainy weekend at Enchanted Rock.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

I had a pair from Cabelas for about 15 years ...worked well...no leaks until very late in life.... My initial test was in a bath tup with 6-7 inches of water...spent about 30-40 minutes reading a newspaper...absolutely no leaking...

I got reasonable ventilation... but not as good as just plain socks.

Personally I found the sealing tape on the Goretex types to be a little irritating ( read possible blisters)....

Until I learned THIS TRICK.... First, boots must be a little looser... second, put on socks... third, pull out the insole, place them under the stocking feet.... fourth, put the waterproof sock over all... finally, put the shoes back on ....

This technoque worked super for me... It totally eliminated any contact with the seam tape on the bottom of the waterproof socks....very nice....Also it provided minor air pocket-like stand off around the bottom edge which allowed space for the moisture to vaporize a little and thus pass thru the gortex membrane better ( remember Gortex is designed to pass warmed vapor...not liquid sweat)...

Try it you may like it.... And remember... either your socks must be lighter or you must be able to expand the volume of your shoes/boots to allow for the extra layer... If you don't insure this is done..... you will surely feel cramped, suffer excess moisture and thus have cold feet.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

I found inserting feet into plastic breadbags, rubber band at top, when it is wet have served me fine. feet got too hot in boots with goretex and out west too much dry dirt that clogged up gore-tex,,,granted,,,we don't get the day in and day out pouring raid,,but when it has,,,I just use the old plastic bag method.

Images

I love my seal skinz. I hike in them all winter long with my chacos. they are best in colder weather because they do not let moisture out very well but they are great for keeping warmth in and moisture out
    :datz May the four winds blow me safely to Maine.

www.trailjournals.com/cheesewhiz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++