WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: For thrus: Longest stretch of time without sleeping in a town or hostel or motel.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Longest time between Motels/Hostels

If you were a thru hiker, what was the longest stretch of time you spent sleeping on the Trail? In otherwords, the longest period between hostels/motels.

Images

I am so surprised that 20% say 4 to 8 weeks! What no shower for 4 weeks! Even Krazy Katie and Radio stopped at a hostel or something just for a shower! They kept a very tight budget and skipped towns where most stopped (like Hiawassee). I, on the other hand, managed to spend a small fortune just waiting out the storms/blizzard at Fontana Inn for four days while Katie and Radio were at the Fontana Hilton shelter...

I like to know who never stayed in a town, motel or hostel on their thru-hike.

Although not the purpose I'm out there, I usually really enjoy my time in town. But after a day, two at the most, I'm ready to get back on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by oldkathy
    I am so surprised that 20% say 4 to 8 weeks! What no shower for 4 weeks! Even Krazy Katie and Radio stopped at a hostel or something just for a shower! They kept a very tight budget and skipped towns where most stopped (like Hiawassee). I, on the other hand, managed to spend a small fortune just waiting out the storms/blizzard at Fontana Inn for four days while Katie and Radio were at the Fontana Hilton shelter...
    Well, on occasion I got showers and didn't stay in towns or hostels. For example, I grabbed a shower at Hiker's Welcome and then went on to the next shelter. Also, I had great weather in Maine, and was swimming in the lakes and ponds almost every day. Don't need showers when things are that good.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i think the longest we went was something like 12-14 days, which is probably average for most thru-hikers.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I think I did a 10-day stretch and it was not a happy time! 10 days food is a lot of weight and by about the 7th or 8th day I just felt way too grimy and disgusting. Plus I could smell my own stench, which is a bad time.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Journal Entries
    Images

My longest was between Greymore in NY and Perrisberg, VA. I did sleep in a house in between, but since it was on the Trail so I'm not going to count it. ;-). Probably 6 or 7 weeks using my fuzzy math.

No motels or hotels at all, though. Unless Shaws qualifies.

I'm thinking the "never" in this thread could have been a typo or hallucinagenic moment? Either that, or someone with a dog.
    Last edited by rickb; 08-02-2005 at 16:33.

[QUOTE=oldkathy]I am so surprised that 20% say 4 to 8 weeks! What no shower for 4 weeks!

Who says you need a hotel or hostel for a shower? Fontana has a free shower. Many state parks and even private campgrounds will let you use their shower for a small fee. On the PCT there are so many beautiful lakes to swim in. Some people carry water to wash or even take a shower every night! I often stealth camp in towns to save money or just because i'm in town to pick up a mail drop and will be gone as soon as the PO opens. I don't need a hotel bed to sleep in. We did the Pyrenees in 99 and only stayed in one paid room the duration of the hike. We often stealth camped or got a campground. On the other hand, i've hiked with people who needed to see what was happening in the sports world and got a room just for that reason. To each his own. I admit the AT has a need for more showers than other trails because of the humidity back east. But streams and lakes are sometimes plentiful. There's other threads on this subject and whether it's considered "cool" or not. I do it anyway. (clean up near streams or swim in lakes)

++ New Posts ++