WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Advantage of being schizophrenic is you can usually get the group therapy rate.

A good sense of humor, (usually means he's crazy)
    lack of ego, (good luck)
    ability to see things from a different perspective, (he's a man, it won't happen)
    willingness to lead or be led, (you're looking for a dance partner?)
    and the freedom to speak your mind without feeling stupid or wimpy. (a smart man knows how to appear that he's listening
    and taking turns bringing cookies. (you don't want my cookies, perhaps spaghetti?)

As for the type of hikers out there, I once said to a girlfriend about a apparent nut, "It takes all kinds." She replied, "No it doesn't, it's just that we got them". Several good movies touch this subject, so the issue is not new. Yes, there's a good hiking buddy out there but there no guarantee you'll meet them or more importantly when.

As a comedian once said, "I knew she was the one for me when I realized she also had issues",
    Suggested movies to watch:
    Silver Lining, Playbook - we'll all crazy and sometimes the one is there
    500 Days of Summer - basically life is random

Bottom line, hiking is an activity, you'll find all kinds of people, some stranger than others. Not all hikers like all other hikers, some don't even like themselves. Either way, get out there and set what happens, worst thing that could happen is you'll die, but I have it on good authority that that's in everyone's cards, so don't worry about it. Besides I'm willing to wager that if you don't get out there you die sooner

Quote Originally Posted by ekih View Post
    the guy keeps telling me that I need to find myself a hiking partner, or partner(s). but yesterday I stumbled upon this web page (http://www.hiking-for-her.com/malehikingpartner.html) and read this jewel:

"You should be on the trail with a man who is not out to prove anything in terms of how quickly he can gain the summit, how far he can hike in one day, how long he can last without a water break. Those kinds of people, male or female, are just not worth your trail time."

And if that comment reflects the feelings of most hikers, then I am not the kind of hiker who is worth most hikers' 'trail time'.

So I'm glad I ignored my psychiatrist's advice, because if I had found myself a hiking partner I would have undoubtedly been rejected and that would have only hurt my mental health even further
    oy vey!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    oy vey!
    that's what I was thinking, but forgot how to spell it

just another B S thread in a long line of them recently

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree - one that I tried not to answer.... as a group we see that this was really a bad start... if you want to go backpacking with little or nothing that's his decision...he does not need our help on the internet to validate a OK idea for a section hike, but a dumb idea for a long term trip..
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I have found that goal orintated, type A personalities are a bit difficult to get along with as hiking partners...
    Those folks just turn into mile pushing solo hikers anyway- you DEFINITLEY don't want to hike with them. While it's insensitive to ignore this type of thread, perhaps it's a good plan. If this is truly a "person in need" what they needed is certainly not being provided.

Ok folks, this could be a troll, or the person could need counseling. If the first, well, don't feed it. If the second though, no need to make the mentally ill jokes.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

How about locking the thread anyway ... give the guy some time to reflect.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

How about leaving the moderating to the moderators.

Good advice Gator. Thank you.

Dogwood (and others)- Low post count, quick log-off (not hanging around for the answer they are "desperately" seeking), and in general a goofy sounding post...probably bogus. (Oddly enough though it describes my first post- Just Bill Passes the ball to Lone Wolf- Lone Wolf drives down the lane for the easy score...)

I can't decide if this should be in the humor forum or not. The OP seems to be making a statement based on the quote from the web site. It's just difficult to tell if the OP would like to have a macho partner or would be that macho partner... ?

So, whatcha think? Do you want a partner who wants to prove how far they can hike in a day and gets to the summit the quickest or someone a bit more laid back ?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I can't decide if this should be in the humor forum or not. The OP seems to be making a statement based on the quote from the web site. It's just difficult to tell if the OP would like to have a macho partner or would be that macho partner... ?

So, whatcha think? Do you want a partner who wants to prove how far they can hike in a day and gets to the summit the quickest or someone a bit more laid back ?
    Could be one and the same I suppose, wont know till he comes back, then we ask him.

As I was hiking up to "The Stairs"
    I met a man who wasn't there
    he wasn't there again today
    I wish I wish he'd go away

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++