Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm glad I ignored my psychiatrist's advice and did not find myself a hiking partner

the guy keeps telling me that I need to find myself a hiking partner, or partner(s). but yesterday I stumbled upon this web page (http://www.hiking-for-her.com/malehikingpartner.html) and read this jewel:

"You should be on the trail with a man who is not out to prove anything in terms of how quickly he can gain the summit, how far he can hike in one day, how long he can last without a water break. Those kinds of people, male or female, are just not worth your trail time."

And if that comment reflects the feelings of most hikers, then I am not the kind of hiker who is worth most hikers' 'trail time'.

So I'm glad I ignored my psychiatrist's advice, because if I had found myself a hiking partner I would have undoubtedly been rejected and that would have only hurt my mental health even further

Clueless Weekender Another Kevin's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Not most hikers at all! At least, not the people that I hike with. Most, in fact, would respond to that kind of nonsense with, "if you're in such a blasted hurry, why are you walking?" But yeah, there are some idiot jocks out there, and it seems that too many of those are crazed pink-blazers. A small but obnoxious minority of the general hiking community.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Not most hikers at all! At least, not the people that I hike with. Most, in fact, would respond to that kind of nonsense with, "if you're in such a blasted hurry, why are you walking?" But yeah, there are some idiot jocks out there, and it seems that too many of those are crazed pink-blazers. A small but obnoxious minority of the general hiking community.
    +1.......................

I have found that goal orintated, type A personalities are a bit difficult to get along with as hiking partners...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

"You should be on the trail with a man who is not out to prove anything in terms of how quickly he can gain the summit, how far he can hike in one day, how long he can last without a water break. Those kinds of people, male or female, are just not worth your trail time."

That might be harder to find than you think.....
    up-russell.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Last edited by kayak karl; 07-28-2013 at 11:05.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Just a note on this weaker sex thing...probably the strongest hiker I saw this spring was a sweet young lady, I'd put her up against any of the young dudes I saw. We did a 23 mile stretch across the Mt Rogers/Geyson Highlands area in deep snow, her and a guy left before me in the early morning, I passed the guy at 11:00 and when I got to the Old Orchard Shelter she was set up and settled into her bag.

Journal Entries

Regarding psychiatrist, don't trust them they're all nuts. My psychiatrist was scheming with my inner child to get rid of my imaginary friend.

Welcome to WB Ekih. I'm not following your post. PLEASE let's take it back a bit. Here's what I'm understanding. You're seeing a psychiatrist. Is that helping you? If the answer is YES than why is it that you think the psychiatrist is recommending that you need to find yourself a hiking partner, or partner(s)? Let's answer that first.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Regarding psychiatrist, don't trust them they're all nuts. My psychiatrist was scheming with my inner child to get rid of my imaginary friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    +1 .
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => Click Here <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Agree. Only had dealings with them twice, wife took the youngest son when he was 5, later on in life the wife started seeing one for a while. They did nothing to help in either case, I solved both problems, bounced the sons head off the kitchen table three times, no more issues, had the wife get a good study Bible and running shoes, problem solved. If you want someone to listen to you I suggest starting with God, the fees are reasonable and I've had excellent results...remember psychiatrists make money treating you, not curing you.

Journal Entries

What happened in my case was that Me, Myself & I got together and got rid of my Inner Child and the psychiatrist. It was ugly but it just had to happen especially with all the bickering going on in my head. Just when I would find a majestic sight and would start t experience a moment of solitude the voices would start.

On another note, I noticed that many hiking buddies ended up hiking alone or with another after a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ekih View Post
    the guy keeps telling me that I need to find myself a hiking partner, or partner(s). but yesterday I stumbled upon this web page (http://www.hiking-for-her.com/malehikingpartner.html) and read this jewel:

And if that comment reflects the feelings of most hikers, then I am not the kind of hiker who is worth most hikers' 'trail time'.

So I'm glad I ignored my psychiatrist's advice, because if I had found myself a hiking partner I would have undoubtedly been rejected and that would have only hurt my mental health even further
    So what keeps an opposite-gender hiking relationship strong?A good sense of humor, lack of ego, ability to see things from a different perspective, willingness to lead or be led, and the freedom to speak your mind without feeling stupid or wimpy. And taking turns bringing cookies.

Here's what I think you may be missing in the blog...you don't bake? those that don't bake, buy...problem solved.

Let's get away from the anti-psychiatrist rant for a moment folks.

Ekih, you're trying to justify ignoring your psychiatrist's recommendation based on the flawed premise that had you found a hiking partner you "would have undoubtedly been rejected and that would have only hurt your mental health even further." Can you understand why that premise is flawed? Having a hiker partner does not equal you feeling rejected! You get to choose the people, all with different individual personalities, who you might consider hiking with. You can find hiking partners that meet the qualifications you desire in hiking partners. Not all or, IMHO, the majority of hikers can be described the way that some hikers are described in that article you read.
    Let me ask again, why do you think the psychiatrist recommended you find a hiking partner or group to hike with? Can you see any possible benefits for you, as well as possibly others, for hiking in small groups? Why did the psychiatrist tell you that?

Could it be you feeling rejected is not just about you having a hiking partner or not but possibly by you thinking you are more vulnerable to feeling rejection and possibly pain when you intimately around people or groups in general?

when you are intimately around

Images

think he feels he would of been rejected because he's a passive suicidal hiker.

so whats your plan. no partner or lie to them?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

There are all kinds of hikers out there. There are driven ones and laid back ones. If you want a partner, you may be able to find one with a style that matches yours. There is no question of rejection when someone has a different style. Just start hiking and you will keep running into people who are hiking at the same speed and taking the same kind of breaks you do. There will be someone who is compatible, if you want to find someone to hike with.

I know the feeling. I used to be schizophrenic, but we're all better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Onedawg:1507967
    I know the feeling. I used to be schizophrenic, but we're all better now.
    We are not!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++