WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default Why are you thru-hiking?

So, I wanted to throw this question out there in hopes of connecting with anyone and everyone attempting to thru-hike next year. Why are you thru-hiking? What drives you to do this?

I'll start the ball rolling by saying that I kind of had a pipe dream of hiking the AT many years ago but it was during a rough period of time that most youth go through and I chalked it up to that phase in life of "Oh let's do something radical like join the Army, Navy, etc"

However, ever since moving out to New York and exploring the Adirondacks and the surrounding mountains and falling in love with them, my drive to thru-hike the AT has only gotten stronger and stronger. Plus, on a more emotional stand point, I feel like I really don't have anything holding me back here in NY anymore. My passion is the mountains. My love is the mountains. I feel happy in the mountains and I yearn for that happiness more and more. I feel like the AT is that culmination and its calling is only getting stronger as the days go on.

So with that said, What brings you here? Why will you be thru-hiking?

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Did my hike in 1992 b/c i read a book about Cindi Ross's hike on the PCT and AT. Turns out I was fulfilling a dream I'd wanted to do since I was a teenager, I'd just forgotten about it.

I'm going to do another thru-hike just so I can keep from continuing to cyber hike.

This past spring I read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed and "Thru-hiking" by Paul Stutzman. Those books reactivated a thought I had had many times over the years. The timing seemed good, so why not go for it. Now I can hardly wait. It even motivates me to get out of my chair and walk every day to start.
    God is good all the time; all the time God is good. - We Shall See 2015

Hi Jeff! My fiance (soon to be husband) and I are hiking in 2014, leaving in mid-late February. It was his idea to start with, although we both have an adventurous streak in us and have done quite a few fun adventures in life. But for me, the reason his idea really latched onto me was simply the idea of being in nature a majority of the time and being relatively self sufficient. I can tell that over consumption of modern life is not good for me mentally or physically and I've been making lots of little changes to combat this. For example, we don't have cable or television and avoid magazines with odd societal messages in them like "you must look or act like this to be a worthy person". I'm a sociology teacher, so I especially look at these things with an analytically eye. I know for both of us, it's not so much to evaluate ourselves or 'grow' although I'm sure that will be a natural by product. I'm 31 and he's 27, so we are a bit past that kind of stage in life (early 20's who am I stuff). I think for us, it's more a yearning to be closer to nature, to be in total touch with our physical selves, and to have a more objective lens on life in general.

I have no idea if any of that made sense But it's basically the idea.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Autummyst View Post
    Hi Jeff! My fiance (soon to be husband) and I are hiking in 2014, leaving in mid-late February. It was his idea to start with, although we both have an adventurous streak in us and have done quite a few fun adventures in life. But for me, the reason his idea really latched onto me was simply the idea of being in nature a majority of the time and being relatively self sufficient. I can tell that over consumption of modern life is not good for me mentally or physically and I've been making lots of little changes to combat this. For example, we don't have cable or television and avoid magazines with odd societal messages in them like "you must look or act like this to be a worthy person". I'm a sociology teacher, so I especially look at these things with an analytically eye. I know for both of us, it's not so much to evaluate ourselves or 'grow' although I'm sure that will be a natural by product. I'm 31 and he's 27, so we are a bit past that kind of stage in life (early 20's who am I stuff). I think for us, it's more a yearning to be closer to nature, to be in total touch with our physical selves, and to have a more objective lens on life in general.

I have no idea if any of that made sense But it's basically the idea.

That makes perfect sense and that sounds like a wonderful reason to thru-hike! Have you and your fiance been hitting up any of the hikes around CT or New England/NY in preparation for the AT?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBliss View Post
    That makes perfect sense and that sounds like a wonderful reason to thru-hike! Have you and your fiance been hitting up any of the hikes around CT or New England/NY in preparation for the AT?
    Yes! We actually just did a trip last week It was our first backpacking trip. We did a couple days in CT/MA and then drove to NH to spend a few days in the White Mountains. We LOVED it. It was a lot harder than we though it would be (we are regular hikers, but not backpackers). The backpack added such a different element to it. But it was so rewarding.

How about you? Have you done anything like this before?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Autummyst View Post
    Yes! We actually just did a trip last week It was our first backpacking trip. We did a couple days in CT/MA and then drove to NH to spend a few days in the White Mountains. We LOVED it. It was a lot harder than we though it would be (we are regular hikers, but not backpackers). The backpack added such a different element to it. But it was so rewarding.

How about you? Have you done anything like this before?
    That's great! My first real backpacking trip is coming up next week so I'm pretty excited about it. I've done overnighters before but never carried like 3-4 days of supplies so I know that extra weight will add an entirely new dimension to it.

And nope, never really backpacked before! Hell, I wasn't even a hiker until a few years ago so I'm still pretty much a newbie haha. I try to hit up the Adirondacks once or twice a month though but it's usually day trips or an overnight at most.

Why are you thru-hiking?

So, I wanted to throw this question out there in hopes of connecting with anyone and everyone attempting to thru-hike next year. Why are you thru-hiking? What drives you to do this?

I mostly solo long distance hike. I hike for several reasons. Hiking forces us to come to terms with ourselves! The walls, facades, institutions, and beliefs that have been erected that we mistakenly believe will always protect us, in large part, come tumbling down. Hiking can force us to get raw get real get honest with ourselves. Sometimes we can have problems with this. In a nutshell, I think it significantly contributes to why the drop out rate is so high on the AT.

'It's not the mountain we conquer-but ourselves.' Sir Edmund Hillary

It's not the trail, thru-hike, or wilderness we conquer - but ourselves - Paraphrased by Dogwood

I find a very unexpected thing occurring for me though. As I've come to tems with my own humanity I've also become clearer in how I relate to the rest of humanity and I better and more clearly see humanity as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBliss View Post
    That's great! My first real backpacking trip is coming up next week so I'm pretty excited about it. I've done overnighters before but never carried like 3-4 days of supplies so I know that extra weight will add an entirely new dimension to it.

And nope, never really backpacked before! Hell, I wasn't even a hiker until a few years ago so I'm still pretty much a newbie haha. I try to hit up the Adirondacks once or twice a month though but it's usually day trips or an overnight at most.
    Enjoy your hike Jeff! Definitely tell us about it when you get back We are essentially hiking newbs too, but have had a lot of varied life experiences that make us feel confident in our ability to do it. Like Dogwood mentioned, I bet it's the taking a very good look at yourself that throws a lot of people off. My fiance and call it "clearing the cobwebs of your soul" (which might sound corny, but is how we visualize it). It's not always pleasant to take a look at that stuff and many people don't have the wherewithal to stand that type of introspection. But, if you push through it, the reward and clarity of mind is so worth the unpleasant parts of that process. I'm sure we have a few more cobwebs that need clearing...and I'm sure the Trail will shed light on it

So with that said, What brings you here? Why will you be thru-hiking?

Good Thread.

1) I love to hike/backpack-Except for last weekend, I've been hiking/backpacking every weekend for the past 4 months.
    2) I'm attracted to the difficulty- Worthwhile efforts can be quiet invigorating.
    3) I love the outdoors and the simple life associated with backpacking.

I did a backpacking trip from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap in the Smokies last March and almost continued North.

J

I've been hiking the northeast GA mountains for years and love it. When renewing my photos after hikes I began noticing a trend of many pictures taken of the empty trail ahead. One time I remarked, "The trail is beckoning". I've been the primary care giver for my mother, who now receives hospice oversight. While pondering what I might do after her death I was thinking outside the box and randomly throwing out ideas. As soon as I said, "walk the AT", it was YES! That is exactly what I want to do. It has been a great diversion planning the logistics of the hike, becoming a member of the AT community, and assembling gear. While there are many other issues to figure out after mom's passing, I will let the Trail work on them. Some of the aspects I want to experience are: spiritual insights and closer relationship with God, releasing schedules, getting in touch with the earth's rhythm, sun rise/moon cycles, nature, getting in better shape/lose weight, nature, making lifelong friends, and whatever else the trail teaches me.

I thru hike to get away from the modern society.

This is such a great question!

I couldn't really tell you the true reason I'm going to pursue this hike- mainly because I don't 100% know. I watched a documentary in the past about the A.T., it's treasures, and it's hikers. Things have slowly grown from there. Last year I followed a blog of a local couple who were actually doing it and it kindled a very real thought. I realized that these were two ordinary people doing this.. and I am an ordinary person, meaning I could do this if I truly wanted to. It's spiraled from there. I've always been a hiker, but I have never backpacked before. Something about carrying only what you need and living off of it, rather than a whole house of useless materials that we cling on, pulled at my heart in a weird way. I went on a two week backpacking course with Roam the Woods in May with the hopes of gaining new skills and confidence to do a thru-hike in the future. I didn't plan it to be soon, but somewhere in my future. Well, after the two weeks I didn't really want to get off the trail. I decided to go in 2014 so I could make gear changes, preparations, and plan but I wasn't waiting any longer. I feel like I'm being called to the trail, whether I finish it or not I simply want to get out there. I want to go back to the basics of life. (Not to mentions.. eating a ton of a food a day without regrets a pretty good perk ;P ). But I think that I will find whatever my heart is pulling me into the woods to find and I honestly hope I make it the full distance, but if I don't that is OK. I am going into this without expectations, but a lot of excitement. I am excited to meet all of you out there on the trail as well! Seems we all have great reasons to get out there!

I'm hiking to get away from all these ******** who say "I need..." when they come to order food at my restaurant. And people who complain about the "sweaty" smell in the gym I work out. I'm going out there for peace.
    The funniest thing, I think, about the trail, is that I was almost always so inexplicably happy. Every night I had the most bizarrely cheerful dreams.
    Late Bloomer

Images

a.to be totally awake, alive, and aware for 5 months

Why are you thru-hiking?

Late with alimony payments.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    a.to be totally awake, alive, and aware for 5 months
    What he said.

Hikerboy, I kind of would like to see you out there dude. Let's trail hang!
    The funniest thing, I think, about the trail, is that I was almost always so inexplicably happy. Every night I had the most bizarrely cheerful dreams.
    Late Bloomer

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    a.to be totally awake, alive, and aware...
    I have to work that into my communication with the GF or when at the bar at 2 a.m. seeking not go home alone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by evansprater View Post
    What he said.

Hikerboy, I kind of would like to see you out there dude. Let's trail hang!
    I'll be out there, but im planning on taking the benton mackaye trail instead of the at from springer through the smokies, as i already sectioned springer to damascus this past spring.
    i dont really care about patches or official "thru hike" status.just like living the life.
    hope to see you out there, too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++