WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Default How to be invisible to skeeters

Everything is easy until you do it.

Hm... I wonder how well it works.

I think this would be a lot more effective though:
    http://americaexplained.files.wordpr...y_filtered.jpg
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Hm... I wonder how well it works.

I think this would be a lot more effective though:
    http://americaexplained.files.wordpr...y_filtered.jpg
    Dang it. You got me. Bubble boy wasn't in the original link. I owe you one.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Sounds very similar, or at least the principle is, to the transdermal Don't bite Me Patches that affix to you skin that masks the ability for some biting insects such as mosquitos to detect Carbon dioxide(C02) and Ammonia(NH3) in your breathe and sweat through the non toxic use of Vitamin B1 and aloe vera.

http://www.dontbitemepatch.com/

I first bought a box of 5 for about $5 of the Don't Bite Me Patches in OR on the PCT at a time when the skeeters and midges were out in force. I wanted to review a non toxic less potentially problematic alternative to toxic bug repellants not only for myself but also for children(my nieces and nephews). I gave the patches out to 3 other PCTers. All four of us had positive experiences increasing our ability to not get bitten. One said he had mild positive results and the rest of us all gave it high marks. I still use them occasionally but have a hard time locating them. I've bought then at Whole Foods in the Vitamin/Supplement section or at Natural Health Food stores like Natural Grocers/Vitamin Cottage.

Images

Going to start looking for these, http://www.dontbitemepatch.com at our local whole foods store pronto.
    I have used N-95 respirator masks, the kind used for people with tuberculosis thinking that would block the C02 emissions ,unaware of the the allure of ammonia salt mixture in sweat .

Being an active blood donor, and having 0- blood , my blood type is in high demand . I joke with the blood service folks who call my house asking me if I've given blood recently. I tell them , " yes , just not to them " ...

Dang mosquitos.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

This comes to you from the same guy who makes the hand held bomb detectors? These guys are a bunch of snake oil salesmen. No way this crap works...at all.

Yeah, 0% chance this works for your whole body. It may get a mosquito to bite a different part of you. Any bit of wind would disperse any chemical that isn't on your skin.

So often we are in a for convenience sake one step one stop one approach do it all mentality. That mindset can have benefits. But it doesn't need to apply to everything or all the time. One way that I approach issues is by tackling them on multiple fronts. I do it as an ULer with my kit like having apiece of gear that is most versatile and of multiple use. I practice the same thing with regard to not getting bitten. I'm doing multiple things to avoid that. You may look at this product that way, as something that is part of complete strategy rather than this one product being the entire strategy. It's a thought that might intrigue some that can offer a better way of finding solutions.

The idea of interrupting or masking the aromas that biting insects are attracted to is not a new concept. However, how that concept is approached and possibly utilized is another thing. No one thing done by all people in all situations is going to work all the time.

Journal Entries
    Images

It may work in your back yard.... but above Connecticut the Skeeters went to Marine's School, of hard knocks...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

After a little sleuthing at the Kite web site, I find that their technology is an adaptation of research by Dr. Anandasankar Ray at the University of California, Riverside, published in Nature in 2011 (cover article). Here is the abstract:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ATURE-20110602

If you want the whole article, you can buy it from Nature, or go to your local University library.

Here is a news release from UCR that is accessible to the non-scientists:

http://newsroom.ucr.edu/2645

Mosquitoes find humans by detecting the CO2 from thier breath. Dr. Ray has identified molecules that interact with CO2 receptors. Some block CO2 receptors. Some mimic CO2 and attract mosquitoes. Others overstimulate the receptors, effectively shutting them off.
    2,3-butadione (aka diacety) is the molecule that overstimulates the mosquito's CO2 receptors. You know this compound from artificial butter flavoring. It is also a fermentation byproduct found in some beers. The Kite website makes mention of "food grade FDA approved compounds". I suspect this might be what they were referring to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacetyl

Hexanol and butanal are molecules that block CO2 detecting neurons. Butanone is an attractant that mimics CO2. These are all pretty simple and common molecules. How well it works on a patch, I don't know. If you could get your hands on some diacetyl, you could test it yourself, I suppose. Or hike with some microwave popcorn, a microwave, and a long extension cord.

Journal Entries
    Images

So honestly save me from the two hours you spent on this.. what is your take on the patch - Yea or nea....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Interesting that you pulled that up Odd Man Out. I read that article in Nature way back when it was first published and had not remembered where I picked up that info.

Now, when someone asks me why I'm doing Jiffy Pop on the campfire I can tell them it's because I'm trying to keep the insects at bay, read about it in a science magazine.

WOO, I can tell you The Don't Bite Me patches worked reasonably well for three PCTers by themselves for about 30 hrs although the manufacturer says 36 hrs for skeeters. But I would combine the patches with other biting bug repelling measures for overall better repellancy. So, take the efectiveness of just the patches in context with the severity of the problem. I'm not saying that you absolutely 100% will not get one skeeter bite by using the Don't Bite Me patches alone when the multiple bogies are swarming on you like Iceman had to contend with before Maverick arrived.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I can test this at home... and the trail I will check it out!

Woo

Garlic in your diet, cigarette smoke in your lungs- works every time...(God I wish I still smoked)

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    So honestly save me from the two hours you spent on this.. what is your take on the patch - Yea or nea....
    It wasn't two hours. Pretty easy to find really. One of the Kite videos gave the name and university of the scientist. After that it took about 30 seconds on Google Scholar, and since I'm a homebrewer and a biochemist, diacetyl is pretty familiar.

As for the patch it's too early to tell. It looks like all of their experiments were in controlled lab conditions. But I think you could buy some artificial butter flavoring at the grocery store, put some on a hankie, put it in your pocket and see for yourself.

Is that butter I smell?

Garlic is great to add to your diet both at home but especially to your trail diet - compact, low wt, cheap, adds taste to anything, found everywhere, packed with anti-oxidants, anti fungal and anti bacterial and anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties, and as JB said some studies show that it has natural pesticide properties. That last one might help at shelters to to get you a spot.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=60

Grumpy old bear

Stop eating bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    It wasn't two hours. Pretty easy to find really. One of the Kite videos gave the name and university of the scientist. After that it took about 30 seconds on Google Scholar, and since I'm a homebrewer and a biochemist, diacetyl is pretty familiar.

As for the patch it's too early to tell. It looks like all of their experiments were in controlled lab conditions. But I think you could buy some artificial butter flavoring at the grocery store, put some on a hankie, put it in your pocket and see for yourself.
    So if I use the patch, would you recommend against a diacetyl rest at room temperature? :-P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++