WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    No one has mentioned the Texas Longhorns which graze in the area. We had 4 pass within 20 ft of us while we were pitching our tent. It was surreal. Those things were monstrous.
    True, the last time I saw more longhorns than ponies. their poop is slimier too!

Quote Originally Posted by S'more View Post
    Anywhere in the Grayson's area, there are usually ponies hanging out! Going up next weekend myself! When you get it figured out, maybe I can work it out! and maybe HM too????
    I'm decidedly leaning toward the "the more the merrier" approach, so certainly I'll let you know when we have some sort of plan. HM will definitely know since part of our VA trip involves her directly!

Side note: Is Groucho's in downtown Statesville?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Default We just went a couple of weeks ago . . .

Quote Originally Posted by S'more View Post
    +1 on heading the signs. It can be drastically different from the parking area to the trail.
    You should go to White Top Station or Damascus and Ride the Creeper Trail (Google is your friend) it is awesome and a great 1 day event. Then 15- 20 minutes away is the Grayson Highlands (specifically Massey Gap parking/trail head. On occasion they'll come down to the entrance fence, but can almost always be found within a mile or two of beginning your hike. Beautiful country . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I'm decidedly leaning toward the "the more the merrier" approach, so certainly I'll let you know when we have some sort of plan. HM will definitely know since part of our VA trip involves her directly!

Side note: Is Groucho's in downtown Statesville?
    I'm def. up for the Grayson Highlands.. S'More and I are very much in touch on FB so we are all well connected.

tbird911... looks like you had great weather... nice pics! Great info post for Teacher&Snacktime!

Ride the creeper trail? In or on what?

My overall VA thoughts so far are:

visit Damascus & do something interesting in that area
    Grayson SP/Massie Gap....either a 1 day there & back to Thomas Knob Shelter w/ possible inclusion of Mt. Rogers peak
    Roanoke area triple crown: McAfee Knob, Dragon's Tooth, Tinker Cliffs (preferably day hikes): The Homeplace
    Shenandoah....some easy hiking with accessibles

additional: Foamhenge, Luray Caverns, Natural Bridge, Monticello

These are just some ideas of AT sites and hikes and educational attractions....and fun. Anyone is free to add. suggestions. I have to get the itinerary and budget set in the next 2 weeks (or so)
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 08-05-2013 at 21:45.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
    You should go to White Top Station or Damascus and Ride the Creeper Trail (Google is your friend) it is awesome and a great 1 day event. Then 15- 20 minutes away is the Grayson Highlands (specifically Massey Gap parking/trail head. On occasion they'll come down to the entrance fence, but can almost always be found within a mile or two of beginning your hike. Beautiful country . . .
    The Damascus/Creeper Trail 1 day event sounds perfect for us, but I don't know what you mean be riding it. Is that just slang for hiking or is there some sort of transport?

And those pics are wonderful...exactly what I had in mind! I was a little freaked at first because I would have sworn that was my grandson Snacktime walking ahead in those pics! Spooky!
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 08-05-2013 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
    Nice. Looks like you had a great time.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

The Damascus/Creeper Trail 1 day event sounds perfect for us, but I don't know what you mean be riding it. Is that just slang for hiking or is there some sort of transport?
    Bicycles

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Bicycles
    This. We're planning to do this over Labor Day weekend when we come hike 23 miles we missed on our spring hike. Hope we can meet you Teacher.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Teach... you rent bikes, they shuttle you to White Top in a hooptie van (if your lucky the well known Lone Wolf will be your driver) and you ride the creeper trail back to Damascus...it's a blast!!

I'm just asking you... do you recognize any of these Mountain Men??? Look at them very closely!!

Ah....I could embrace that, but Snacktime is not a cyclist. Maybe we could rent a tandem....haven't done that in a few years (or decades)

Anyway, I'm starting to think that the best approach is to just show up at HM's door with our hats in our hands and our packs in the trunk and leave alot of these decisions to committee when we get there: HM, DH, Smore, Drybones, etc (I have to go back and check all the interested parties who've posted). It might be easier to coordinate everyone once we're actually there.

So...I need to pick a date...and a number.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    This. We're planning to do this over Labor Day weekend when we come hike 23 miles we missed on our spring hike. Hope we can meet you Teacher.
    Me too FC....you're on that list !!! HM, DH....what about gathering all these folks? One trip to the Homeplace or several?

oh FC....but we can't make it on labor day weekend....but we're also willing to come your way. I want to hike down into Harper's Ferry from VA and finish WV, so if you're available to join or just get together we'd be game.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 08-05-2013 at 22:03.

I recogniza ALL these mountain men! The first three I spent last saturday morning with, and the fouth's journal I've been following ever since you gave him and BRocket snacktime bags!

Have you read my Wonderful Day Journals 1 & 2 ?

Me too FC....you're on that list !!! HM, DH....what about gathering all these folks? One trip to the Homeplace or several?

oh FC....but we can't make it on labor day weekend....but we're also willing to come your way. I want to hike down into Harper's Ferry from VA and finish WV, so if you're available to join or just get together we'd be game.
    Yes & yes... we need an event coordinator to pull everyone together. I'll be here. You guys just get the dates and stuff together and I'll arrange the rest... how about that??

I recogniza ALL these mountain men! The first three I spent last saturday morning with, and the fouth's journal I've been following ever since you gave him and BRocket snacktime bags!

Have you read my Wonderful Day Journals 1 & 2 ?
    No, I've been fighting vertigo.. today is my best day after since a week ago today! I'll check it out... sorry to be so behind the eight ball.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Teach... you rent bikes, they shuttle you to White Top in a hooptie van (if your lucky the well known Lone Wolf will be your driver) and you ride the creeper trail back to Damascus...it's a blast!!
    I think I could talk Snacktime into it....but if they rented Tandems it would be better. Either way it sounds like just the type of fun adventure we're looking for. I'll get him to practice on the bike.

No, I've been fighting vertigo.. today is my best day after since a week ago today! I'll check it out... sorry to be so behind the eight ball.
    No need to apologize...you come first. No point getting nauseus or dizzy when you can read it anytime. How is it coming along?

Yes & yes... we need an event coordinator to pull everyone together. I'll be here. You guys just get the dates and stuff together and I'll arrange the rest... how about that??
    OK....sounds good....are we still thinking around mid sept? Is anyone or everyone else good with that?

Others will chime in, I'm sure, but I've always heard that Thomas Knob Shelter is the place where the ponies hang out. I'm pretty sure Coach and HB went out and back to that shelter this past spring. They can help you with info, I'm sure!
    Hiker who stayed there one night after me had video of the ponies coming right up and placing their heads in the shelter. Really nice shelter with a ladder up to the second floor.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++