WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Climbing San Luis Peak

What is the fastest route to get to and back from San Luis Peak (from the CT)? It looks like there is a 2 trails that come off the CT and go to San Luis Peak-- would it be fastest to take the more northern trail to the mountain, climb it, then get back to the trail on the more southern side trail after descending? Or should we go to and from the mountain via the same trail?

My friend and I are most likely going to get as near to the mountain to camp as we can, so that the next morning we can climb it first thing. I'm trying to figure out if we should camp near the more northern trail that goes to the peak, or the southern.

Thanks!

Staying on the CT is faster. Camp at the headwaters of Cochetopa Creek (last trees) and get an early morning start up to the high point closest to the peak. You can leave your packs there. It's fast and fairly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Staying on the CT is faster. Camp at the headwaters of Cochetopa Creek (last trees) and get an early morning start up to the high point closest to the peak. You can leave your packs there. It's fast and fairly easy.
    The data book says it's 3-4 hours roundtrip. Without accounting for time spent on summit, does that amount of time sound accurate for the time I leave the CT to the time I return?

It's hard to say. Took me about 2-1/2 hours round trip and I hung out on the summit for at least half an hour. It's slightly less than a mile one way but up a very steep slope.

Alright, thanks. So do you think we should aproach and climb San Luis and return from it to the Colorado trail via the same side trail (the southern trail)?

Yes. Only way to do it unless you want to haul your entire backpack to the top.

++ New Posts ++