WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: The Home Stretch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    "Perhaps...Discuss it on the home stretch thread, "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." Gandhi"

Fair enough. I've come to the conclusion that there are not many people here that really understand what it takes to make/break records and that very much includes me. A lot of this is just talk.

Just because one can do a thru-hike, even a "fast hike" doesn't give them a view into endurance events. That's like saying that everyone that does a cross country cycling trip understands what it takes to ride the Tour de France. BTW, a cross country cycling trip can be ~ twice the distance as the TdF.
    Just gently redirecting you to the other thread, not knocking your opinion. Before I joined this site I spent along time weeding through threads trying to find relevant posts. I'm very exited to be discussing this stuff, even if it's just talk. Just trying to help out folks who will come to this site later to check up on Matt's attempt. One post out of 20 makes for tough research on a topic. Hope nobody feels I'm trying to steal the show, just trying to keep the discussion for the discussion, and the original point of the thread on topic. In addition, I think you're dead wrong. Despite the scale of the endeavor; personal limits and surpassing them is fairly universal. That runner who breaks a PR, the cyclist who pushes their body on a 200 mile trip, or that record breaker- little difference on a personal level, just the level that person is on when they break that limit.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    ...Just because one can do a thru-hike, even a "fast hike" doesn't give them a view into endurance events. That's like saying that everyone that does a cross country cycling trip understands what it takes to ride the Tour de France. BTW, a cross country cycling trip can be ~ twice the distance as the TdF.
    Yeah, completely different activities. To keep any activity going every day for multiple months, you need a different approach, and a sustainable pace. As mentioned above, many fast hikers sustain a 26 mpd pace or greater, while carrying a pack, in mountains. I can relate to that pace, can do it for weeks at a time and have fun doing it, but I've never run a marathon and probably never will--I just can't imagine that kind of running. Last summer I rode my first X-C bike tour, the Northern Tier, with a not-too-shabby 80 mpd pace, and likewise am in awe of the TdF cyclists.

What makes those guys different? I agree there's something different in the makeup of top athletes, as Gandhi put so well.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Simplify the decision and do it both ways.

What is the fastest yo-yo hike?
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Just occurred to me that one reason SOBO is better is that if you have a Class 4 day on Katahdin (trail is closed), you can postpone your start date, but if you are NOBO, you lose a day.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    What is the fastest yo-yo hike?
    Not sure of the time but it wouldn't surprise me if that belong to Ward too.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Just gently redirecting you to the other thread, not knocking your opinion. Before I joined this site I spent along time weeding through threads trying to find relevant posts. I'm very exited to be discussing this stuff, even if it's just talk. Just trying to help out folks who will come to this site later to check up on Matt's attempt. One post out of 20 makes for tough research on a topic. Hope nobody feels I'm trying to steal the show, just trying to keep the discussion for the discussion, and the original point of the thread on topic.
    No need to worry about my feelings; I didn't think you were knocking my opinion and if you were, doesn't bother me. As for everything past the first sentence...not sure of your point, but ok, whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    In addition, I think you're dead wrong. Despite the scale of the endeavor; personal limits and surpassing them is fairly universal. That runner who breaks a PR, the cyclist who pushes their body on a 200 mile trip, or that record breaker- little difference on a personal level, just the level that person is on when they break that limit.
    I'm not sure what you're saying I'm dead wrong on? Anything I've said does not diminish all of us that are always attempting to break a PR or even best one of our friends in a little competetion -- so yes, in that respect it is universal.

All I'm saying is that unless you've attempted to compete at the top of the pack than you don't really know what it takes.

Setting a PR compared to setting a record amongst the cream of the crop, especially when others are watching -- it just ain't the same thing.

Dead wrong- probably a bit extreme. I suppose I disagree on the concept that we can't relate to the best of the best. Anytime I read a book or blog, or talk with someone it seems that finding, and ultimately, breaking our personal limits is pretty universal. Doing your best, on any level, is universal. It just turns out that their best is better- which is what makes them the best. I've been on smaller speed hike efforts. I can relate to the small things; Mornings I hit snooze and slept in an extra half hour. Meant to push on after dinner but didn't. And other times I have done some of those things. A monumental effort, is just a lot of small efforts over and over. In that sense I think whatever our sport, we can understand the best, even if we aren't. Could I do a fifty mile day? Yes, could I do them over and over like a record breaker? No, but I can understand what it would take. As a tradesman I can read blueprints, as a carpenter I can do some good stuff. I can read the plumbers drawings, understand how it all goes together, even sweat a few joints or install a toilet- but I couldn't do his job. I suppose that's all I'm trying to say, and ultimately even if I never get there- understanding how it's done seems to be a good first step. And that's the stuff I'm excited to talk about.

Yes, we can relate and can really apprecieate the intensity of the endeavor much more than someone that does not hike. And we can talk about it; my comment, "it's just talk", was not an attack on the thread, it was simply disgust in me seeing what I perceive as the "experts" lecturing. But really not much different than listening to an overzealous sports fan of ________.

However, it is important to point out that some "in the know" don't appreciate the intensity. I think we've all heard some thru-hikers trash-talk someone such as JDP, because they were supported and "slept in a motel everynight" so anyone can do that, blah, blah, blah. I know she didn't sleep in a motel, but that's besides the point. Their perspective is dead wrong, probably colored by their sensitive ego.

BTW, I'm still siding with a SOBO as a faster hike (for record setters), but there are some exceptions to that rule and frisbeefreek brought up some good points. Someone want to prove me wrong

Yar- I wish we were all sitting in a bar or around a campfire talking. Lots of limitations like this- everything comes off back asswards. I think there are quite a few folks here on the junior varsity team so to speak, including myself. I know I may never make the varsity team or get named all state- but I do really enjoy doing what I can do. I also really like talking to my fellow JV squad members and the occasional Varsity Squad member who stops by. Back on track- SOBO- probably better. I guess the original point of the thread- when you are totally gassed- As Matt Kirk seemed to be in his day 49 post, an uplifting trip through the "eye candy" of Roan helped him out quite a bit. I like the south, but had a vastly different experience there than I did in VT, NH, and Maine. It's my kinda eye candy. Not saying I'd have a real shot, but if I could leave tomorrow I would, at this point it'd have to be SOBO. Next season...I'll probably still be dreaming too. Maybe it's 16 years off, when my son will graduate HS, I'll be 51 like Garlic and my son and I can do it together- by then there will be helium filled packs so it'll be no biggie, lol.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 08-03-2013 at 09:14.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++