WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CDT - Colorado Section Recommendation

Any advice on a good 1 week section in Colorado? Also, advice on best time of year?
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Mags should be along in a bit to steer you in a good direction.

Garlic
    Images

Hey, I live here now, too. (Just moved back last week.)

The section from Cumbres Pass to Elkton was one of my most memorable weeks on the CDT, and except for Wolf Creek Pass you get a feeling of solitude you don't always get hiking the Divide in Colorado. Late June there was a good time for me, but I got hit by the beginning of the monsoon. Late August and into September is probably best.

I've been hearing about a new loop in the Collegiates that might be just the thing. Check out the Colorado Trail.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

How many MPD are you comfortable with? Will you have time to acclimate? ARe logistics an issue (i.e. you will not have a car rental?)

As for time, my absolute favorite time is post-Labor Day. Less people, no insects, afternoon t-storms are gone, cool and crisp nights, perfect weather for hiking during the day.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

My guess is I'd arrive only a day or two prior, so altitude may still be an issue at least at first if not for the duration; and I'm thinking 10-13 miles a day will be enough for 7-8 days, so 75 - 100 miles for the hike. I will have a rental car that I could park if there is a safe location to do that and have no problem paying for shuttles. Thanks for the help Mags and Garlic08!

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Hey, I live here now, too. (Just moved back last week.)
    Ugh, I thought it was a Colorado Trail question. It's a CDT question, I could have answered that!

It's all good. I'd hike in the Weminuche Wilderness or from Silverthorne to Grand Lake

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

All good Sly.

75 miles is about right to go from Cumbres Pass to Wolf Creek Pass

The southern San Juans are beautiful, awesome and remote feeling. IF you want "bonus" mileage, plenty of side trips to do, too.

Go to Pagosa Springs and get a shuttle to Cumbres. End at Wolf Creek Pass for a (relatively) easy hitch into Pagosa and back to your car.

Some shuttle providers to try:

Last edited by Mags; 08-02-2013 at 14:24.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    How many MPD are you comfortable with? Will you have time to acclimate? ARe logistics an issue (i.e. you will not have a car rental?)

As for time, my absolute favorite time is post-Labor Day. Less people, no insects, afternoon t-storms are gone, cool and crisp nights, perfect weather for hiking during the day.
    My favorite time as well. Going all the way back to 1964. From Santa Fe to Yellowstone. Post Labor Day ROCKS!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My favorite parts of the CDT in Colorado:
    The South San Juans from Cumbres Pass to Wolf Creek Pass are fantastic. A little rainy right now, but from mid August on is a good bet. (69.2 miles - moderately strenuous - good access)
    Weminuche Wilderness from Wolf Creek to Stony Pass near Silverton. (84.2 Miles - strenuous but fairly easy to navigate - good access)
    The High Lonesome Trail plus some - Start at Kenosha Pass on the CT then turn north on the CDT at Georgia Pass to Monarch Lake (90 miles - very strenuous in places - hits the highest point on the CDT - good access)
    Collegiates West from Monarch Pass to Twin Lakes (71.8 miles -a nice hike with good access, some of it is on jeep trails)
    Rabbit Ears Pass to Wyoming via the Zirkel Wilderness. (52 Miles - A nice blend of strenuous and easy hiking - access at the end is difficult.)

Whatever you decide to hike, I would suggest getting the shuttle first and hiking to your rental car. That will make you much more flexible if you arrive early or late.

Looks like just about all of Colorado is covered. Good job men!

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Whatever you decide to hike, I would suggest getting the shuttle first and hiking to your rental car. That will make you much more flexible if you arrive early or late.
    In 2002 we met a guy coming at us hiking the trail south of Rabbit Ears Pass in cowboy boots. He had a pick-up and an atv or motor bike and would drop off the truck and ride the atv/bike to the start of his section. After a brief chat he asked us if we wanted anything to drink (beer) and he'd meet us at the end of the day. Eventually we found a good place to camp and there he was waiting with ice cold beer, pastries and the newspaper.

Joe Bob Knuckles, from Texas, hiked most the trail in this fashion, but dropped the cowboy boots for trail runners at our urging.

Excellent advice all around. Much thanks everyone!

++ New Posts ++