WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Roll or Stuff a Tent??

Do you roll or stuff your tent? Which way works the best while hiking?

You may start out rolling, but you'll eventually just stuff and go. Manufactures will tell you to just stuff also as it prevent the tent from developing creases in the same spot which can lead to premature leaking.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Hi, My name is Chris and I used to be a meticulous folder/roller.

I am in recovery though and I have been stuffing for a few years now. With the support of friends and family, I hope to never relapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post

I am in recovery though and I have been stuffing for a few years now. With the support of friends and family, I hope to never relapse.
    Ha Ha!! That's really funny Chris!! It took a lot for me not to fold it .. I stuff it now. Never going back either...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kodak-RM View Post
    Do you roll or stuff your tent? Which way works the best while hiking?
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

These days i usually fold the tent and fly of my double wall separately and the put them in the front pocket of my pack so that they can dry during the day.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Manufactures will tell you to just stuff also as it prevent the tent from developing creases in the same spot which can lead to premature leaking.
    I've also heard that, but I'm a roller (I roll around the stakes and the poles) and I've never experienced that problem before it was time to replace the tent because it became technologically obsolete.

You may start out rolling, but you'll eventually just stuff and go. Manufactures will tell you to just stuff also as it prevent the tent from developing creases in the same spot which can lead to premature leaking.
    Now do you stuff in the smallest stuff sack possible or one to give it room to breathe?

I have my second section hike coming up at the end of the month. Last year I rolled it all the time. I am constantly learning new and exciting ideas/techniques all the time on here.
    ~ Hike Your Own Hike ~ Dead Men Walking (Hiking Group)

Saw someone post this once...thought it was funny...

Bro, just stuff it in the bag it came with

LOL!!

I will be up on your neck of the woods towards the end of the month... We will be hiking the state of MD SOBO. We are breaking it up over 4 days. Looking forward to some great hiking for our second section hike.
    ~ Hike Your Own Hike ~ Dead Men Walking (Hiking Group)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodak-RM View Post
    Now do you stuff in the smallest stuff sack possible or one to give it room to breathe?

I have my second section hike coming up at the end of the month. Last year I rolled it all the time. I am constantly learning new and exciting ideas/techniques all the time on here.
    I don't stuff my tent in a stuff sack. I do make sure that the netting is protected in the middle of the tent material, then I just stuff the tent down the bottom of my pack. I do the same thing with the fly. My daughter taught me that trick.. just make sure the netting is not "exposed" in the bottom of your pack. You can fill up the small spaces in the bottom of your pack with the tent and fly. (basically using the bottom of your pack as a "stuff sack" for your tent and fly.)

Images

I used to meticulously fold and roll both my tent and sleeping bag....this year I discovered "the art of stuff" I fit the tent, fly and foot print all in the sack in came in ...its much faster , easier and i think it compacts easier also..and when you pull your stuffed sleeping bag out it just lofts nicer!

on trail i roll, fairly loosely though. at home after i've aired out the tent i store it stuffed in a pillowcase. i think most people try to use stuff sacks on trail that are simply too small, for tents and sleeping bags. even the ones that come with tent/bag are usually too small. i use gg airbags.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I've also heard that, but I'm a roller (I roll around the stakes and the poles) and I've never experienced that problem before it was time to replace the tent because it became technologically obsolete.
    Yep, like elf says 6 of one half dozen of the other. I'm like you in a way I just kinda roll my poles a little at the start at one end then start mushing and stuffing. I don't even bother trying to dry out half way through the day. Never a problem with leaks or mold. Like you said, the tent will be wore out someplace else.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Yep, like elf says 6 of one half dozen of the other. I'm like you in a way I just kinda roll my poles a little at the start at one end then start mushing and stuffing. I don't even bother trying to dry out half way through the day. Never a problem with leaks or mold. Like you said, the tent will be wore out someplace else.
    I don't think they are equal in this case. All the folding and rolling takes more time and for me it was always harder to slide it in the stuff sack.

The other problem I had was folding in the winter. My hands would be freezing by the time I got my icy tent packed up and its almost impossible to put a tent away with gloves on.

I don't think they are equal in this case. All the folding and rolling takes more time and for me it was always harder to slide it in the stuff sack.

The other problem I had was folding in the winter. My hands would be freezing by the time I got my icy tent packed up and its almost impossible to put a tent away with gloves on.
    I'm with ya. When it's freezing it's what ever will work.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Saw someone post this once...thought it was funny...

Bro, just stuff it in the bag it came with
    I think I have said it before and ill say it again. I enjoy Red-Dog's straight forward answers....BRO

I'm a roller.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
    Well, I only carry one tent.

Procedure for striking the tent:

1. Remove all stakes except the one on the right end point and the one on the left end point
    2. Remove trekking poles
    3. Allow tent to collapse
    4. Put all tent lines on top of the collapsed tent
    5. Fold the sides walls inward causing the floor to overlap itself to a width of about 12 inches
    6. Remove the stake on the right end point and fold right end point over to line up with the left end point
    7. Remove stake on the left end
    8. Fold over in half again (the tent, not me)
    9. Roll up what is left
    10. Shove tent in stuff sack
    11. Put in backpack
    12. Hike one mile
    13. Turn around, go back and retrieve stakes

Journal Entries

I don't believe any one technique is necessarily best for all tents. The only way that I can get my Traptent Rainbow (which contains a short built in ceiling pole) into its stuff sack is to first roll it up around that pole, creating a cylinder, and then start stuffing. After the Tarptent is completely in the sack I then add to the stuff sack its main pole, the bag of stakes, and my Tyvec ground cloth/footprint.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    Well, I only carry one tent.
    Well there's your problem.

13. Turn around, go back and retrieve stakes
    Now you're gettin it right!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++