WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Monarch on Butterfly Weed

First one to be seen on my native wildflowers:

When you say your native wildflowers do you mean that you planted them in your yard or someplace. Nice pix. Congrats on the new tenant.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    When you say your native wildflowers do you mean that you planted them in your yard or someplace. Nice pix. Congrats on the new tenant.
    I grew them from seed. The coneflower is actually a cultivar. Native condeflowers have more "droop" to the petals.

The seeds used for the butterfly weed were obtained from a natural area. The gathering of the seeds was authorized by the IDNR Illinois Dept. of Natural Resoruces. I'm a vollunteer with them and do research in remaining natural habitat in the county in which I live.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I grew them from seed. The coneflower is actually a cultivar. Native condeflowers have more "droop" to the petals.

The seeds used for the butterfly weed were obtained from a natural area. The gathering of the seeds was authorized by the IDNR Illinois Dept. of Natural Resoruces. I'm a vollunteer with them and do research in remaining natural habitat in the county in which I live.
    Very cool. I hope your research is a success and you get the results you seek.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I heard that the Monarch population was really suffering. We have a butterfly bush in our backyard an have seen few butterflies this year (did have a hummingbird on it the other day). I also leave the milkweed when weeding as this is where the monarchs lay eggs. However, I think you picture is of a Tiger Swallowtail.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    However, I think you picture is of a Tiger Swallowtail.
    Yeah, that's it, they come in various colors/patterns http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ec...wallowtail.htm

I've been attracting butterflies for a while in my yard and I get those a lot landing on my 4 o'clock plants. I don't know why, they're not laying eggs and the flowers don't bloom until night, hence the name 4 o'clocks. Just saw some monarchs mating this morning and got some caterpillars on my milkweed. I have another species of butterfly lay eggs on my citrus plants, but their name escapes me now.

We have a butterfly bush as well, I think this is a Monarch, though it's not on our bush, took it on one of our local trails. We've been getting lots of butterflys, but what species they are I do not know, that bush also attracts all kinds of critters, bees, wasps, moths..ect ect. it is the busiest plant in our yard, we love it.

Attachment 23153

Awesome. Great photos.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    We have a butterfly bush as well, I think this is a Monarch, though it's not on our bush, took it on one of our local trails. We've been getting lots of butterflys, but what species they are I do not know, that bush also attracts all kinds of critters, bees, wasps, moths..ect ect. it is the busiest plant in our yard, we love it.

Attachment 23153
    Yuppers. That's a Monarch if I'm not mistaken, RS.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Yuppers. That's a Monarch if I'm not mistaken, RS.
    yeah I'm not really sure bout mine, I just looked it up, and it looks like it, but there are so many subtle differences that you really never know, unless you know...ya know?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I heard that the Monarch population was really suffering. We have a butterfly bush in our backyard an have seen few butterflies this year (did have a hummingbird on it the other day). I also leave the milkweed when weeding as this is where the monarchs lay eggs. However, I think you picture is of a Tiger Swallowtail.
    You're correct, it's a Tiger Swallowtail. Wish I Knew my butterflies as well as prairie plants

https://www.google.com/search?q=mona...w=1280&bih=817 (Monarch)

https://www.google.com/search?q=swal...w=1280&bih=817 (Swallowtail)

Images

020 West Mtn Monarchs II.jpg020 West Mtn Monarchs VI.jpg We came across these beauties on the West Mountain Shelter access trail in NY. Swallowtails? Monarchs?

Last year we were up in the Pigeon River Country area of northern lower Michigan and saw tons of butterflies. At one point, the Tiger Swallowtails were so thick, it was like a black and yellow blizzard.

butterfly1.JPGButterfly2-001.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post

Snacktime and I did something like this in 5th grade. Based on a "state garden" we saw at a rest stop in S. Carolina, we tried to make a RI state garden....a small habitat that featured the state rock, native wildflowers which provided food for native animal species. We set ours by a stone wall so the chipmunks could live there too, and included a birdhouse, etc. We had a heck of a time getting a sample of the state rock, but we did and it's part of the plan. It still hasn't been finished, but we're getting there.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Snacktime and I did something like this in 5th grade. Based on a "state garden" we saw at a rest stop in S. Carolina, we tried to make a RI state garden....a small habitat that featured the state rock, native wildflowers which provided food for native animal species. We set ours by a stone wall so the chipmunks could live there too, and included a birdhouse, etc. We had a heck of a time getting a sample of the state rock, but we did and it's part of the plan. It still hasn't been finished, but we're getting there.
    What is the RI state rock Teacher?

What is the RI state rock Teacher?
    I just looked it up...Cumberlandite..cool never heard of that one.

interesting story,and rare!
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 08-05-2013 at 21:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post

Really nice photos PF,,,thanks for postin

I just looked it up...Cumberlandite..cool never heard of that one.

interesting story,and rare!
    Yes it is....we got our first specimen from a lady we took an Audobon tour with who collects it. She goes to Cumberland and finds pieces then distributes them to various state environmental agencies ...like Audobon and the RI Natural History Museum .... and she donates them for preservation. When we told her what our project was she ran home....literally....and got us a softball sized stone from her collection. It came with the understanding that it would never be just left behind somewhere, but donated if he tired of it.

Then last fall we trekked up Diamond Hill in Cumberland ourselves...with a sack and a magnet....and found a dinnerplate sized piece. When we get this garden straightened out, they'll have places of honor...and labels. Hopefully by next spring.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Yes, these pictures are awesome....definitely have to show them to Snacktime. He loves butterflies and caterpillars....and snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...all of that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++