WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
    One of the best marked trails I've been on used orange reflective triangles tacked to trees along the hike. The direction the triangle faced was the direction the trail took. It was extremely useful over rocky sections or when you can to sharp, hidden corners. I certainly don't expect all trails to be marked like that (in fact, most trails I hike aren't marked at all), but wow I was impressed with the volunteers who maintained those blazes on that route!
    Have you ever hiked at night with a headlamp on a trail with such highly reflective blazes, especially one that's been over blazed? It can be intrusive IMHO. These types of highly reflective blazes are mostly used on trails when the trail is widely experienced under specific conditions such as rain, fog(smoke), at night, or trails that are experienced by many under snow/ice, etc They use blazes like this on snowmobile, sking, snowshoeing, and winter hiking trails. Where you live it can make sense though as long as it's not overdone.

Images

I really don't think the original idea is that bad. There's all sorts of little ways they could indicated direction. Even if they only did it once every ten blazes. Put a dot above the blaze for north bound, and one below the blaze for south bound. I'm by no means suggesting we need to do that, because I'm not into making somebody else do work I'm not willing to do, but shooting down the idea as ridiculous is a little harsh.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    We used to blaze trails with a double blaze at turns where the upper blaze was off-set in the direction one should turn. For some reason the standard was changed some years ago so that the double blaze is done without the off-set.

I never understood this change as there are still two blazes so it is no more of a visual intrusion on the landscape, they just are configured to convey less information. I'm sure some reason exists for this, I just don't know what it is.
    I wasn't aware of this so I went to the ATC website. Apparently it is up to each club to decide. I agree that since you are painting 2 blazes anyway that the use of the offset is preferable. I wonder why a club would choose to do otherwise?

Double-Blazing Standards: The standard (two-inch by six-inch) white paint blaze has marked
    the A.T. footpath since the 1930s. ATC has advocated the use of the double blaze to indicate
    turns or other places where hikers should be alert. In July 1995, ATC adopted the following
    amendment in response to the increasing variations in blazing standards:
    Individual clubs may elect to choose one of two alternatives for double paint blazes,
    the in-line double paint blaze or the standard offset double paint blaze, but no other
    variations. Painted arrows or blazes that are slanted or at an angle are nonstandard
    and should be removed and replaced by standard blazes. Only one of the two
    variations for double paint blazing at turns may be chosen, and it must be chosen for
    application to the club’s entire Trail section. In areas where clubs choose the offset
    blaze, an in-line blaze may be desirable at locations other than turns, where a
    double-blaze warning is necessary.
    If a club intends to change its blazing style, it should consult with its agency
    partner(s) before implementation, and it should incorporate these changes into its
    local management plan prior to implementing the change. Individual maintainers
    should not effect a change to the offset blaze on the basis of their personal
    preferences. It is hoped that—by giving maintaining clubs discretion to choose only
    one of two variations—nonstandard blazing should be reduced, if not eliminated.
    Both the in-line and the offset double blaze should be used sparingly, since they
    become meaningless with frequent use. Double blazes are used to indicate abrupt
    changes in the direction of the A.T. or at other points where hikers should be
    especially alert. Use two standard (two-inch by six-inch) white blazes, one above the
    other and two inches apart; if using the offset, the upper blaze should be clearly offset approximately two inches in the direction of the turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    On the other hand, this is probably a trifle excessive:

IMG_2558 by ke9tv, on Flickr
    (How long am I supposed to stand there reading the signs?)
    That's a sign post in NY possibly at the Long Path/AT junction. This is what can happen when you let Naw Yarkers sign trails. Surprised there wasn't a Tony's Pizza Shop at the intersection.

Cannot take all the fun out of the hike.

I think they should replace every third blaze with a scratch and sniff decal. The smells associated with going north draw a hiker north and the smells associated with going south draw a hiker south and are appropriately used in degree with how far north or south you are.

How about adding a decal of a confederate soldier in uniform to every 5th blaze going south and the picture of a union soldier above every 5th blaze going north?

I just got an email from Sherwin Williams. They say they are in favor of adding more paint to ANYTHING including trees, rocks, walls, bridges, etc.

Home Depot wants to support the AT too. They are in favor of increasing the number of shelters and rebuilding all the old ones. They are offering a 30 % discount on all building materials used for shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

Do you know the AT doesn't always take a direct N/S direction? Do you know there are places on the AT that I've visually seen ahead up to 8 blazes and then have turned around and counted another 8 in the opposite direction?
    That is too many blazes. I was taught (when doing the painting on a trail) is as you pass one blaze, you should see the next. If you can stand in any one point and see three blazes (let alone 8) then there are too many. If you walk more than 15 feet and don't see one, there isn't enough.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

That's a sign post in NY possibly at the Long Path/AT junction. This is what can happen when you let Naw Yarkers sign trails. Surprised there wasn't a Tony's Pizza Shop at the intersection.
    Oh, like AT thru hikers would object to a pizza shop being on the trail......

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I think they should replace every third blaze with a scratch and sniff decal. The smells associated with going north draw a hiker north and the smells associated with going south draw a hiker south and are appropriately used in degree with how far north or south you are.

How about adding a decal of a confederate soldier in uniform to every 5th blaze going south and the picture of a union soldier above every 5th blaze going north?
    If it smells of bacon which direction should you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    If it smells of bacon which direction should you go?
    Never saw a Piggly Wiggly grocery store with their logo of a pig on their signage in Vermont! What immediately comes to mind when you think Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine? If you say bacon Rasty you need counseling. You've been thinking too much of dogs saying "I love BAAACON!" For me it's maple leaves, maple syrup, Vermont cheese, skiing, The White Mountains, lumberjacks, evergreen forests, etc. As you go north the scratch and sniffs become scents of a fir forest, maple syrup, etc. and as you go south the scents become..... This is where southern pride kicks in. Help me southerners.

Seeing a blaze every 15 ft is WAY TOO DAMN often! Who told ya that? That's close enough for me to experience a blaze every 3-4 steps! I see Sherwin Williams emailed you too. Are they giving you free hiking gear to say that? You must be an unemployed painter.

Never saw a Piggly Wiggly grocery store with their logo of a pig on their signage in Vermont! What immediately comes to mind when you think Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine? If you say bacon Rasty you need counseling. You've been thinking too much of dogs saying "I love BAAACON!" For me it's maple leaves, maple syrup, Vermont cheese, skiing, The White Mountains, lumberjacks, evergreen forests, etc. As you go north the scratch and sniffs become scents of a fir forest, maple syrup, etc. and as you go south the scents become..... This is where southern pride kicks in. Help me southerners.
    Maple flavored bacon!

LOL. There are a few therapists you might want to your discuss your bacon infatuation with.

the journey IS the destination!

Seeing a blaze every 15 ft is WAY TOO DAMN often! Who told ya that? That's close enough for me to experience a blaze every 3-4 steps! I see Sherwin Williams emailed you too. Are they giving you free hiking gear to say that? You must be an unemployed painter.
    I think you misread JustATouron's post. He didn't say there should be a blaze every 15 feet. He said you shouldn't have to walk more than 15 feet without seeing the next blaze. That next blaze could be 100 feet down the trail.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

No, not one every 15 feet. You pass a blaze, you walk 15 feet, you should see a blaze (not be standing next to the next one)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood:1519320
    LOL. There are a few therapists you might want to your discuss your bacon infatuation with.
    Do they have Bacon?

Default Blazes

Right in right out/left in left out, I tell myself that when I move off the trail to a shelter. I am also in the habit of making a twig arrow on the trail for the direction and at night pointing my poles next to my shelter in the direction of travel. I even do this at rest stops if I have moved off the trail and yes I have been turned round.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++