WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fur Queue View Post
    Has anyone noticed an appreciable difference between regular prayer and praying hard? Please advise?
    No reason to add a religious debate to the mix.

For those are religious, please pray.
    For those who are more of the more recent spiritual persuasion, give good thoughts.
    If you are not religious , let us hope that the outcome is for the best for our community, the hiker and her family and friends.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

i pray that she will be found safe... and i pray for the minds of her loved ones who are agonizing right now... i can't imagine their pain.. God speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    You could always take it to the non AT thread....
    But if god is omnipresent, then the discussion can stay here, yes? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Praying helps me, even if it doesn't help the object of the prayer. It might indeed help the object of the prayer - but it's at least as much about the one doing the praying.

At the very worst, it's an expression of solidarity from those who have nothing material to offer.
    So, it makes you feel better. Thank you for the insight AK.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

OK folks..really. There is a person missing and you are debating the power of prayer.

I am an atheist and I recognize how prayer is something people find to be comforting in times of sorrow. Is that a bad thing?

Let's remember there is a person out there, a person in our community, who is lost. A husband is worried for their wife. Family and friends hope she is OK.

So pray. Send good thoughts. Hope for the best (my option).

But endless squabble about it? Really? You can do better.

EDIT: Feel free to start a group and have at it, too
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/group.php
    Last edited by Mags; 08-06-2013 at 19:04.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

As a devoted agnostic I fully agree with Mags. Some of the side discussions about this missing wife and mother are sickening.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    The Trail is still safer than most people's towns, homes, schools, workplaces. It would be a mistake if people's concern over recent events in Maine led folks to believe, or led folks to tell others that the Trail is an overly dangerous place. This is simply untrue, and nobody is well-served, especially new-comers to the Trail, by putting fears in their head that simply don't belong there. That there are inherent risks involved with outdoor activities is not in dispute, but the fact of the matter is this: Most of you reading this right now will spend all or part of today in places far more dangerous than the A.T.
    Thank you Jack for reminding folks that the AT is in a sense a sanctuary. We are very fortunate to be able to use the AT and in some cases abuse it as each of us sees fit. For what ever reason, this is more just another missing person or accident victim, she is part of each of us that have hiked or wish to hike the same trial. Up until a couple of weeks ago, she was only followed closely by those who love her as she continued toward her goal and now she has become part of each of us. It is difficult sitting on the sidelines watching the game being played out before us but not even in the slightest, comparable to the anguish her family and friends must be going through right now. This affects all of us in different ways, some get sad, some get mad, some pray, some do not, yet all us are part of a common community and hope for her safe return.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    OK folks..really. There is a person missing and you are debating the power of prayer.

I am an atheist and I recognize how prayer is something people find to be comforting in times of sorrow. Is that a bad thing?

Let's remember there is a person out there, a person in our community, who is lost. A husband is worried for their wife. Family and friends hope she is OK.

bump, needs to be read

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Hmm, well you kids have fun. I'm going to take advantage of the Ignore Thread feature.
    Not a bad idea, I've been tempted to respond but had to remember: "answer a fool according to his folly and you will be like him".

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Not a bad idea, I've been tempted to respond but had to remember: "answer a fool according to his folly and you will be like him".
    but you did respond and added your own jab.

I hope she walks out of the woods tomorrow safe and sound. But it is looking very dire.
    It makes us sad. We want to know who did something to her, or where she fell, etc. Details are good as it helps future hikers try to avoid such things.

Journal Entries

As a former law enforcement officer I am sure that the facts will be announce when and if the case is closed. Until that time it is not proper for officials to say or speculate publicly. I have had to deal with the press several times throughout my career and usually said no comment when asked for information.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    As a former law enforcement officer I am sure that the facts will be announce when and if the case is closed. Until that time it is not proper for officials to say or speculate publicly. I have had to deal with the press several times throughout my career and usually said no comment when asked for information.
    That is par for the course.

.................................................. ............

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post

What to do? Stop contributing to the hype.
    This!

Seriously, because there's no information, why is the default reading 'FOUL PLAY' for some people? She could've gotten lost, wandered off trail, got injured, nobody knows, so all the sudden anything that bad that happens to a few people all up and down the trail is somehow connected?

I hope the OP remembers to account for his tinfoil hat when he's calculating his pack weight...
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

No reason to add a religious debate to the mix.

For those are religious, please pray.
    For those who are more of the more recent spiritual persuasion, give good thoughts.
    If you are not religious , let us hope that the outcome is for the best for our community, the hiker and her family and friends.

This means drop it, the religious debate. Not keep talking about including why we were unhappy about it. Just end it at the warnings given by the moderator.

THANK YOU!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    This means drop it, the religious debate. Not keep talking about including why we were unhappy about it. Just end it at the warnings given by the moderator.

THANK YOU!
    No, thank YOU! (I was wondering when a moderator would step in on this one.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

This is the most mystifying event. And troubling in many ways, esp for us women who want to pursue our dream and go solo. Now this dark cloud hangs over things. I wish at least there was some kind of evidence. A piece of gear. Clothing. anything. I just don't understand how there isn't anything found in the woods anywhere. She most definitely is NOT on the AT. Which means she got off the AT herself. That was probably her choice, wheter to find a road or having gotten lost. If it were a major fall, there would be evidence. SOmething comes off a pack. The dogs would pick up a scent. What the outcome was of that decision and where she ended up, obviously not good. Very hard.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    This is the most mystifying event. And troubling in many ways, esp for us women who want to pursue our dream and go solo. Now this dark cloud hangs over things.
    This should hardly be a reason not hike the AT. It might be a reason to to carry a locator device (SPOT) or take other precautions. It is unlikely that if she got lost in woods that a portion of her gear would show up. It is most likely she and all of her gear are in the same location, however, not in the search grid.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++