WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default I see they called off the search for the hiker in Maine.

So do you have a mass murderer again? Or is it just a "got lost", "had a stroke" thing? Bears? The police have given us no real feedback as to what we are dealing with for any of the dead or missing hikers on the AT for the past 3 or 4 years. I can't even recall how many this makes now. The guy killed in central Virginia had been partially buried. What to do? Stay home? Group up? Pack heat? What are you all going to do? Pray?

Journal Entries
    Images

mmmm Pray.

Pray this question doesn't go spiraling into another gun knife thread....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I still have hope.
    These incidents are unrelated to each other beyond the fact that they occurred to hikers on the AT.
    There is not a conspiracy.
    Do whatever makes you feel safe.

Images

No need to get yourself worked up. As is always pointed out the AT is very safe compared to society in general, and incidents of violent crime in this nation has continued to fall to the lowest levels since the 1940s.

Other than internet commando detectives with lively imaginations, we do not yet have any evidence of any foul play up in Maine.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    The police have given us no real feedback as to what we are dealing with for any of the dead or missing hikers on the AT for the past 3 or 4 years.
    I've seen follow up information on every missing/death I have read about except this one, where there isn't a conclusion yet. She is still missing. Most of the ones I have seen follow up on have been natural causes.

What to do? Stop contributing to the hype.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

The Trail is still safer than most people's towns, homes, schools, workplaces. It would be a mistake if people's concern over recent events in Maine led folks to believe, or led folks to tell others that the Trail is an overly dangerous place. This is simply untrue, and nobody is well-served, especially new-comers to the Trail, by putting fears in their head that simply don't belong there. That there are inherent risks involved with outdoor activities is not in dispute, but the fact of the matter is this: Most of you reading this right now will spend all or part of today in places far more dangerous than the A.T.

So do you have a mass murderer again? Or is it just a "got lost", "had a stroke" thing? Bears? The police have given us no real feedback as to what we are dealing with for any of the dead or missing hikers on the AT for the past 3 or 4 years. I can't even recall how many this makes now. The guy killed in central Virginia had been partially buried. What to do? Stay home? Group up? Pack heat? What are you all going to do? Pray?
    I have refrained from making this comment on other threads. I am not going to name my source. The police were not in charge of the search.

What am I going to do? I am going to take all reasonable advice. I am not going to act like a tough guy. I am going to follow the advice of those that preach safety. Other threads have given practical advice on how to be safe in the woods. Ignore said advice at your own peril.

As far as Inchworm goes: I am not going to judge her actions or jump to ignorant conclusions. And yes, I am going to pray. I do not believe prayers are cute warm gestures that are done out of love. I believe they go beyond the room in which they are spoken. I believe they are heard.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Gerry Largay is someone's wife...She has many friends...She is a fellow hiker... These are only snippets of who Gerry Largay is. But, the one thing she is not (in my opinion) is a story for the entertainment of others. She is out there, somewhere.

It has been over two weeks and the police have no new leads. Unfortunately, unless some new shred of evidence/some lead appears... It only makes sense for the search to be cancelled at this time.

You want to know what to do? How about offer of wishes for closure for her family and friends? I do not know Gerry Largay, but everything I have read leads me to believe that if there is a chance, she will figure out how to make it home. It is absolute hell to be on the other end of things - Waiting and wondering and not knowing answers. Please show a little respect for Gerry, and her friends and family.

Images

I can think of two other missing hiker cases I followed intensely--a friend of friends who disappeared along the PCT several years ago, and the young man who disappeared between Logan Pass and Avalanche Lake in GNP last year. In both cases all-out searches failed to find the hikers, but their bodies were found, in one case, a year later, in the second case about three months later. Other hikers stumbled across them. It is not easy to find people who have gotten lost or Fallen. It just isn't, however much we might wish otherwise.

My thoughts are with Inchworm's family and friends.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Do whatever makes you feel safe.
    No. Please. Don't do whatever makes you feel safe. That way lies madness. (Bites tongue before starting into a political screed.)

I pray for Gerry to have a happy homecoming, whether in this world or the next.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    As far as Inchworm goes: I am not going to judge her actions or jump to ignorant conclusions. And yes, I am going to pray. I do not believe prayers are cute warm gestures that are done out of love. I believe they go beyond the room in which they are spoken. I believe they are heard.
    +1................

Images

is there a reason for this thread?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post

this should be merged into the main thread
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I could guess at one. It would not be nice to do so. Putting it on ignore now. Thank you for the help.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I could guess at one. It would not be nice to do so. Putting it on ignore now. Thank you for the help.

That's the best advice if you don't like the current thread.

The news thread was for "Just the facts Ma'am".

This thread is for discussion on something very much related to the AT.

Please try to keep it civil.

Thanks.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

What are you all going to do? Pray?
    yes, that is exactly what i'm going to do

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Already have and will continue to Pray ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    The Trail is still safer than most people's towns, homes, schools, workplaces. It would be a mistake if people's concern over recent events in Maine led folks to believe, or led folks to tell others that the Trail is an overly dangerous place. This is simply untrue, and nobody is well-served, especially new-comers to the Trail, by putting fears in their head that simply don't belong there. That there are inherent risks involved with outdoor activities is not in dispute, but the fact of the matter is this: Most of you reading this right now will spend all or part of today in places far more dangerous than the A.T.
    Well said Jack.

Leading cause of death on the AT - heart attack. Leading cause of injury - falling down. Every year at least one person falls to thier death and many more have to be carried out. Mt. Washington is a popular place for that to happen, but there are pleanty of other places where it is possible.

Homicide is way down at the bottom of the list.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Just a friendly reminder to everyone when posting about missing persons:

Everything you post to Whiteblaze is searchable by google and other web searches. Before you write anything about specific missing hikers remember that friends and family can and more than likely will end up locating this site and reading your comments about their loved ones. Please be tactful, and don't needlessly fuel speculation and rumor.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++