WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Please help suggest 1 week trail for a l family with a dog.

Hi, we live in Chicago and would like to take 1 week (5-7 days) hike on AT next week (August 11-18). We are going with the car. Our youngest daughter is 10 years old and we have a small dog. The dog will be not a problem, however parts of AT restricted to dogs. Could someone recommend the best, most scenery trail? Where we can have some activities (like swimming, fishing..) for the kids to not get bored with hiking. May be some civilization in the middle of the hike, so we can rest and replenish... Thank you very much in advance!

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sekal View Post
    Hi, we live in Chicago and would like to take 1 week (5-7 days) hike on AT next week (August 11-18). We are going with the car. Our youngest daughter is 10 years old and we have a small dog. The dog will be not a problem, however parts of AT restricted to dogs. Could someone recommend the best, most scenery trail? Where we can have some activities (like swimming, fishing..) for the kids to not get bored with hiking. May be some civilization in the middle of the hike, so we can rest and replenish... Thank you very much in advance!
    Sekal - there are numerous places like this on the AT. And, dogs are only forbidden in the GSMNP and Baxter state park. The rest is fair game. As for a section of trail, you'll probably get lots of responses on "the most scenic." I can recommend Shenandoah National Park, McAfee Knob/Tinker Cliffs/Dragon's tooth, and Mt. Rogers in Virginia. Some of those sections are a bit remote however so do some research first and see if the distance/town ratio is right for you.

There are also some good hikes to be had in NJ, NY, CT and MA. However, as you get further away from the middle of the trail (MD and PA) the terrain gets steeper and a bit tougher (though the PA rocks in the northern section are hard to beat on your feet). In New York and New Jersey you can almost hike from deli to deli every day and there are plenty of places to see sights, take in a swim, stay in a state park, etc.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hey FC....I was just going to suggest they look for you for this info!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Welcome to Whiteblaze Sekal . I've made the car trip to Chicago a few times myself, so I empathize with you on that drive.

I believe Shenandoah National Park is your best bet for a family hiking experience and fun activities for the kids.

,* Hiking in August can get hot and muggy with bugs that can spoil any adventure. Shenandoah Nat'l Park offers above 2,000 foot elevation along the AT , a good 6-10 degrees cooler than the valley below.

* I'd suggest doing the central district of the park beginning Swift Run Gap heading north to Elkwallow Wayside.
    About 15 miles into your hike you'll be rewarded with a respite from your hike when you reach Big Meadows Wayside. The amenities include a restaurant , where milkshakes ,blackberry is my fav, can be purchased. Skyland Resort is another 8 miles north , another potential break.
    When you hike as far as Elkwallow Wayside, 7 miles beyond Thornton Gap , the experience can be repeated.

* Luray's Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park and Resort,www.campluray.com just a few miles from Thornton Gap , is a family campground if the weather doesn't cooperate for outdoor hiking.

Have fun ,wherever you decide to go.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Thank you for your replies! Sounds like we are going to Shenandoah National Park!!! I have a few more questions;
    The biggest concern for my family is the bears!!! Do we need to buy pepper spray?
    Water! Do we need to carry a lot, or there are refiling places? Do we need filters?
    How many miles/day can 10 year old hike? I hear different opinions from 7 to 15 miles/day.

Thanks again

1- learn to bear bag & google Leave No Trace & learn principles
    2- I'd suggest filter for water as you have a dog & you need to protect the dog from Giardia too
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...king-with-dogs
    -- do not allow dog to drink from springs or loll around in streams where others gather their drinking water -- go downstream --- watch for slick rocks & MY advice - keep dog on a harness and leash at all times in case you have to rescue the dog --- you may never see a snake or your dog may be "voiced controlled" but I've seen the best trained dogs go "deaf" at the sight of deer
    3- your DOG will determine your hike -- dogs dehydrate & overheat faster than 10 year olds
    4- a slower pace -- hiking to camp & exploring -- is my suggestion if your child is not already an experienced hiker
    5- check out the loop hikes along the Skyline Drive and consider a base camp (I'm partial to Big Meadows if they have space) with day hikes as a viable alternative to striking out on the AT if your 10 year old has not hiked before
    6- treat your clothes & shoes with Permethrin and treat the dog for ticks -- do a tick check 2-4 times a day on everyone - dog too
    7- consider head nets for the gnats & bugs
    8- be ready for rainy weather & have a contingency plan -- a fun one that is dog friendly -- carry ponchos

Hope you have a great time
    Coosa

++ New Posts ++