WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Would you call Eric Honnold an idiot? How much do we know about this guy's skill level?
    Quite a bit, I suspect. For one thing they obviously had never done much ass-sliding.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Perhaps I was a bit harsh on the fellows. I have learned today that the Huntington ravine trail is considered one of/or the most dangerous in the Whites.

A freind of mine who has done pretty much every trail you can name in the Whites said he went up that way once (because he was hiking every trail you can name) and would never, ever do it again it was that scarry. The trail is primarly used to access the bottom of ice climbs in the ravine in the winter. It's that steep.

Apparently the two meet on the trail. A likely senario would be they got to where it started to get sketchy and instead of going back then, one of them said or just unconsiously thought "I think it would be easier this way" following a path of least resistance until it dead ended. Once into the boulder field, it is easy to go astray. And then find yourself stuck. Going up is one thing, going down is quite another.
    it is stupid steep with some really hairy scrambles. and kinda like madison gulf trail in that its not an easy trail to follow all the time.i could see it happening to me, did it about 12 years ago with 40 lb pack, and only remember it took forever to get atop the headwall, with places i was hanging on for life.
    ive also done my share of highballing, although those days are behind me and have been 40 or 50 ft off the deck without a rope with sewing machine legs kicking in. never fell, but it have just as easily went the other way. i wouldnt judge those kids at all.that is absolutely one of the toughest "trails" in the whites

Looks like a fun climb if your paying attention. Not sure I would want to descend that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Looks like a fun climb if your paying attention. Not sure I would want to descend that.
    it was a little scary, but i loved it

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    it was a little scary, but i loved it
    If I get back I'm doing it. Looks like as much fun as the far right side of Tuckermans snow field. About a 50 to 60 degree angle in some parts.

Images

its tougher than tucks, but you'll enjoy it.try the madison gulf trail too when you get the chance. another trail you really dont want to downclimb

Images

coupla shots from www.hikethewhites.com of the "hiking" the headwall of huntington ravine trail

headwall04.jpg

photo04.jpg

headwall01.jpg

headwall06.jpg

It is easy to loose the trail up Huntingtons ravine, there are multiple slide paths that intersect the trail and look like the trail plus several apparent relocations. I was with a hiking group who had someone who claimed to be experienced take the wrong route and end up quite a distance from the trail. The actual trail itself has one 150 to 200 foot long spot that is mostly climbing a slab without a lot of features. In some other areas, no doubt they might have installed metal rungs or possibly pin steps. On a dry day is a fun challenge for most and I avoid the place when its wet. After that section the trail is steep and has some exposed spots but the biggest hazard is folks above knocking stuff down or even worse individuals who ignore the warnings and try to descend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++