WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike from Jo-Mary Rd

I will be completing a section hike northbound in Maine covering the last 55-60 miles, finishing at Katahdin. This will be my first time on the AT and I'm looking for advice on where to put in or be shuttled to in order to make it to Antler's campsite by dark on September 4th. I'll be driving from Syracuse early that morning and am looking for a logical place to keep my car for about 7 days (I'll have a ride back to that location from Baxter State park).

Any additional wisdom for a 24 year old fella doing his first solo trip and first backpacking trip in years would be appreciated.

You could leave your car at the Jo-Mary road crossing. There is a large parking area but you have to pay by the day to keep your car there. That will still be cheaper than getting shuttled due to the distance involved. When you enter the campground and pay your entrance fee they have a really nice map and getting to the trailhead is easy.

http://www.northmainewoods.org/jo-ma...omaryinfo.html
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Another option that I used was the float plane service from Katahdin Air. You could fly into several places. Crawford pond is right on the trail. Not expensive either and a nice part of the trip.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

I hiked in the 100 mile wilderness in June of this year and I used Phil Peppin as my shuttle driver. You could contact him for a ride. http://100milewilderness.info/services/
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I don't think that the shuttle from Millenocket to Jo-Mary is that expensive, perhaps in the $60 range. You could try these guys.

http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/

Also, in the past they have provided free shuttles from Katahdin to the lodge in September at around 3 or 4 pm, not sure if that is the case now.

Are you planning on climbing Katahdin? If so, you better get your reservations in order. Katahdin Stream campground is almost full already from Maine residents. Consider doing Katahdin as a daytrip based out of lodging in Millenocket.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Seconds for Phil Peppin...registered guide, great guy, great help and will work out and around whatever suits your plans best...

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Another option that I used was the float plane service from Katahdin Air. You could fly into several places. Crawford pond is right on the trail. Not expensive either and a nice part of the trip.
    Where can I find more information about that? Also, do you recall the fee involved with that trip? Thanks.

Default Section Hike from Jo-Mary Rd

My wife and I used Phil in 2012 and he was great! You can't go wrong with Phil!!

++ New Posts ++