WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fees Hiking in Maine

As mentioned in my other post:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...rom-Jo-Mary-Rd

I'm hiking the last 55-60 miles of the AT, NOBO in Maine. My question is for section/thru-hikers who've done this portion, what type of fees does one encounter at various campsites or especially surrounding BSP since my ride will be picking me up the day I summit Katahdin and I want to make sure getting in and out of the park is smooth for them.

You can probably get all information from the Baxter State Park web site. http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....king/index.htm But here is what AWOL AT Guide list. $14 nonresident fee for cars entering the park. Limited parking but you can reserve a parking spot for a $5 fee. $10 per person camping fee at the Birches. Any other camping I think you need reservations and fees vary.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I reread your OP and realized you won't qualify as a thru hiker, so the birches are not an option.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries
    Images

He will be fine here.

we ask that visitors starting their long distance hike reserve a regular lean-to or tentsite at Katahdin Stream Campground or Abol Campground (not to be confused with Abol Bridge or Abol Pines down on the West Branch of the Penobscot River). Abol Campground has quiet, wooded sites, located just off the Park Tote Road two miles south of Katahdin Stream Campground and often has sites available when Katahdin Stream is full. Regular Park fees apply in Katahdin Stream Campground
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The only fees are for Baxter. Other then BSP, there are no fees on the AT in Maine.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

As I indicated in Geoff's other thread, he may have difficulty getting a campsite on a weekend in September (based on his itinerary, it looks like he will finish on a weekend). He needs to reserve a campsite ASAP (there are only a few spots left at KS and Abol). Otherwise, he will need to either hike about 20 miles to finish up from Abol Bridge, or will need to spend a night outside of the park on his summit day.

As an FYI, at Togue gate, if you have a car with Maine plates, you may not have to pay the $14 fee. If you are using a rental car, ask for one with Maine plates.

My itinerary should place me in Baxter state park to summit on the 10th of Sept, or stay the night that night and summit the next day. Unless the ~10mi/day average I have set for myself (starting from Cooper Brook Falls on Sept 4) on mostly level ground, meaning little more than 250-500ft in elevation change per day, is unreasonable then I will be in BSP well before the weekend. In fact I HAVE to. I'll be carrying all my food for the entire trip with me.

How far to the trailhead if I must tent outside the park and summit the following morning? I REALLY want to avoid fees for camping at a site for budget reasons, which is why I posted this thread separately. Now that you all know my itinerary, let me know what you think.

If you are only doing 10 miles per day, you need to stay at KS or Abol in the park to summit comfortably. Staying outside of the park would be more expensive.

I tried to attach the list of campsites in BSP for the day I'll need a site which is $11 per night in the bunkhouse but I can't seem to see that listed on the image attached. I thank all you amazing and experienced folks in advance for helping me through the logistics to this amazing trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The campsites in Baxter are on a reservation system, not first come, first served. Therefore, you need reservations before you arrive. And as Joshuadad mentioned, better do that ASAP as there are not many spots left. That is a very popular time of year for the park.

BTW, it's an 8+ hour round trip to summit Kathadin, make sure you have a good headlamp with you, there's a good chance you'll be using it on the way down.

You attached the backcountry sites on the wrong side of the mountain from the Hunt (AT) trail. I see no easy option other than paying $30/night to reserve a campsite or lean-to at Katahdin Stream or Abol. You could try to hitch to Roaring Brook to get into one of the $11 bunks, but that is a 1 hour drive to the other side of the mountain.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The only fees are for Baxter. Other then BSP, there are no fees on the AT in Maine.
    Speck Pond Shelter and Campsite in southern Maine $8/PP.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    8.00 fee at Speck Pond Campsite
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

For what it's worth Speck is handled by AMC while the rest of the trip thru Maine is free until BSP. MATC does not charge for any of our sites.

Be aware that you will also have to pay a fee to access the trailhead at Cooper Brook.

I did an overnight at the Antlers Campsite a week and a half ago (hiked in from Cooper Brook Trailhead at Jo Mary Road on the AT) and we had to pay a usage fee of $12 per person to drive in on Jo Mary Road.

You can find more information about that fee here: http://www.northmainewoods.org/
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

get a hold of phil at the 100milewilderness.info what a nice guy and really helpful. he said today that some of the campgrounds will let you leave your car there for a small fee while you hike. I'll be doing the 100 mile last week in aug. and climbing Katahdin around the 4th or 5th and phil said he would shuttle me back to my car. He was just so helpful I can't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Speck Pond Shelter and Campsite in southern Maine $8/PP.
    Forgot about that one, I guess it is in Maine, barely.

Spoke to Phil and he said leaving my car near JM and here's what he had to say:
    ME: "So there are plenty of dedicated parking areas for hikers that would be safe for me to keep my car for about 6-7 days? Or, would I merely pull to the side of the road and leave it parked at the shoulder?"

PHIL: "Plenty of room at the trail head. Park before the bridge on the right driving in. You'll be all set there and no worries."

and regarding BSP, I spoke with them yesterday and I am cleared to just walk into the park, no reservations, and stay at the Birches ($10) which, as I asked them to confirm, is not just for thru-hikers. Anyone coming from the 100-mile wilderness is cleared to stay there.

Anyone who has hiked through 100-mile or NOBO on the AT recently, please corroborate this for me.

From the Baxter web site:

Use of "The Birches" facility is limited strictly to Northbound long distance or thru-hikers (must be hiking, at a minimum, the "100 Mile Wilderness") and is limited to 1 night. To assist you as you approach the Park, we post a sign-in sheet for long distance hikers on a clipboard, just after you cross the Golden Road and enter the Park no the A.T. If all 12 spaces are signed up for the night you are hoping to stay at "The Birches", it means that the site will be full and you will need to stay elsewhere.
    "Hiking the 100 mile wilderness" is taken to be hiking the entire 100 miles, not just part of it. Since your only hiking half of it, technically you don't qualify to stay at the Birches. Of course, there is no way they can know that is the case. However, since you'll be there at a very busy time for thru-hikers to finish, you might take away a site from a more qualified hiker - your call on the ethics of that.

++ New Posts ++