WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting from Pittsfield to Williamstown on a Sunday

Hi All,

I'm leaving for my NOBO E2E on August 18th. My bus gets into Pittsfield at 445pm but the connection to Williamstown only leaves 5 hours later. It seems stupid to sit around for 5 hours when I'll only be 30min or so away. I'm open to taking a taxi (how much would it be?) or really any other suggestions. It seems the public transit bus doesn't run on Sunday.

Thanks

Matt

Virginia Tortoise

I had that same problem when I ended a section hike. Took a bus from Lincoln, NH to Boston, then, 6 hours later, took a bus from Boston to Pittsfield. The bus driver said it would be 2.5 hours till a bus came through to go to Williamstown. I was lucky. There were some Williams College students on the bus with me. They called one of their buddies and had him rent a zip car and bring it down and picked them up. I asked if I could chip in some money and come along. They said sure. If it wouldn't have been for that, I would have had to wait for the next bus.

I would say a cab, though expensive, will be your best bet unless you can find a shuttle between Pittsfield and Williamstown. It's 21 miles up US7 between Pittsfield and Williamstown.

Longtime Trail angel and all-around great guy Tom Levardi lives in Dalton, a few miles from Pittsfield. He may be able to help you either when you arrive or perhaps the next morning. (It might make more sense to stay in Dalton that night and go on to Williamstown in the AM; after all, what will you do in Williamstown at 10PM?) Anyway, you can reach him at(413) 684-3359.

I took one from Dalton to Pittsfield much shorter but I think I paid $20. You could call the companies in Pittsfield and get a price beforehand, they should give it. Or call a shuttler. It'll likely be somewhere between $20-$40.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

If your leaving from Boston, the Geryhound web site lists two buses going to Willimstown on Sunday, August 18th. One leaves 10 AM and arrives in Williamstown 2:45 PM, the other leaves Boston at 4 PM and arrives 9:45 PM. There is a transfer in Pittsfield, but its only 5 minutes, not 5 hours....
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm not leaving from Boston, I'm leaving from Montreal. Not sure where the Boston thing came from...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewrozon View Post
    I'm not leaving from Boston, I'm leaving from Montreal. Not sure where the Boston thing came from...
    Well, I saw you were coming from Canada, but not from where in Canada. Boston is often used as a hub to get to and from places. I suspect you'll be traveling through Albany, NY instead. I see the problem, the 10 AM bus from Boston gets to Pittsfield well before your 4:45 bus and the late bus doesn't show up until 9 something, hence the 5 hour layover. Fun with public transportation.

Here's an idea, start the hike on the AT at Pittsfield. It will only add a couple of days to the trip and would be a good warm up before hitting the more serious hills of Vermont...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks Slo, That's actually a great idea. I'm going to look into that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewrozon View Post
    Thanks Slo, That's actually a great idea. I'm going to look into that.
    Technically, you'd most likely start at Dalton, 5-ish miles east of Pittsfield. Tom Levardi, as Jack noted, might be able to help - he's a legendary trail angel.

Starting there would take you over the beautiful Greylock Range, which would be great, and worth adding a couple days to your trek, if you've got them to spare. The four-ish miles near or above 3000' on the A.T. are very pretty.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

There is lots of traffic on Rt 7 or Rt 8 northbound. Hitching up to Rt 2 probably wouldn't be bad.
    When I went through in 09, Tom Levardi was offering slack pack options for thru hikers. They would ride from Dalton to Rt 2 and slack back to his house over Mt Greylock. (I believe he works/worked at the Stop & Shop on Rt 2). If that was true and he could include you, stay at his house Sun and be on the trail early to mid morning Monday.

chris
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

++ New Posts ++