WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Looking into a new tent

I'm looking for a new tent (for 2 people), I like the big agnes silhouse2. Before I drop alot of money I would like your advice. For solo I hang or use a tarp. My girl likes tents and its an easier way to get her out of "glamping" lol

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

A SoLong 6 for 2? Who knew.
    Something for the OP to ponder: Many folks believe that the best 2 person tent is a 3 person tent. Same goes for 1 person tents. Look at the shape of the floor and the walls. Does the floor taper? Do the walls slope? 2 doors, on the long side of the tent, are much nicer than crawling through one end. 2 doors also means that one of them will probably be sheltered from wind & rain.
    Look at the total, enclosed, sheltered VOLUME of dry space that a tent affords. Volume to weight ratio is a better selection criteria than weight alone.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What do you mean by big agnes silhouse2? It's not a tent currently listed on the Big Agnes web site, and a google for that phrase only finds this web page.

In the mean time, if you're not looking for an ultra light weight tent (like a Big Agnes Copper Spur or Big Agnes Fly Creek), I would suggest the Kelty Gunnission 2.1.

You will find the Kelty to be a little heavier than your typical 2-man $200 tent (such as Marmot LimeLight, Mountain Hardware Drifter) but only by a little, and it will be VERY roomy. I'm currently regretting buying a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2 (poor ventilation) but I've been liking my new Kelty Gunnisson 3.1 that I take when camping with both my boys.

What do you mean by big agnes silhouse2?
    Seedhouse

Images

You might check the Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo, too. It's a pretty amazing two person tent -- our favorite of all the light tents we've tried.

I hang when I'm solo, too, but my lovely wife likes the big tent. And the Lunar Duo is pretty huge inside.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I typically hammock but, I recently spent A LOT of time and energy researching a lightweight tent for use by my wife and 9 year-old on a week-long backpacking trip. I finally settled on a Tarptent Statospire 2 and could not be happier with the choice. Easy to pack, easy to set-up and huge inside for 2 and could accommodate 3 if necessary.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I typically hammock but, I recently spent A LOT of time and energy researching a lightweight tent for use by my wife and 9 year-old on a week-long backpacking trip. I finally settled on a Tarptent Statospire 2 and could not be happier with the choice. Easy to pack, easy to set-up and huge inside for 2 and could accommodate 3 if necessary.

Good Luck
    Thanks for the confirmation of one of the 3 tents that linked to in Post #2.
    One more important feature to look for in a tent: Setting up the tent in the rain. The inner tent of the Seedhouse mentioned by the OP, and all similar tents & external flys, will be soaked before you can get the fly in place. TarpTent borrowed a feature from Hilleberg: The fly is set up with the inner tent attached. The inner stays dry.
    TarpTents are made in the U.S.A. If that matters to you. It does to me.

Wayne

Images

Sorry seedhouse, I'm now looking more into tarptent looks great! Anyone else own a tarptent

Default Looking into a new tent

Big Agnes Scout2. Under 2lbs & stays dry thru some heavy storms.

I don't have experience with the models you are researching, but I did get rid of my BA fly creek for a tarptent contrail. One of the reasons is because its easier to keep the tent dry when setting up in the rain. Love the tarptent, but you have to do a really good job seam sealing it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Sorry seedhouse, I'm now looking more into tarptent looks great! Anyone else own a tarptent
    Have the TT Notch and Double Rainbow...both good tents...like the Notch best but it's a solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Onedawg View Post
    I don't have experience with the models you are researching, but I did get rid of my BA fly creek for a tarptent contrail. One of the reasons is because its easier to keep the tent dry when setting up in the rain. Love the tarptent, but you have to do a really good job seam sealing it.
    Once again, Thanks for confirming what I said earlier about TarpTents. Given all the rain on the southern half of the AT this year, getting into a dry tent and staying dry is a HUGE benefit.
    Apparently, I must be talking myself into buying a TarpTent. Which one is a tough decision.

Wayne

Images

i have the fly creek ul2, used it this spring down south, and its really not that difficult to keep it dry inside while setting up, even in heavy rain. and held up in 60 mph winds.regardless, the front vestibule is the only drawback. i just bought the lightheart solong 6 which weighs about the same, but has side entries and more floor space than the fly creek. im anxious to try it out next month in maine

I have the BA fly creek ul3, and so far have found it to be an outstanding tent. Yes, a little heavier than the ul2, but the extra room we had during our last hike made it well worth it, especially when it was raining! ( bought it to use as a two person tent).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onedawg View Post
    Love the tarptent, but you have to do a really good job seam sealing it.
    That's why I paid $25 for them to seal it for me.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Yes on the tarp tent. I have carried a Double Rainbow for a couple of years. Pay the extra to get the seam seal done. My wife isnt as big of a fan of it as I am, but she is picky. She prefers the Hubba Hubba over any tent we carry. Either one is a great tent, just big difference in weight. I personally solo with the Double Rainbow and have carried a Lunar Duo. The Lunar Duo is great as big cranky said. Great headroom. Get a shammie towel for the single walls to make life easier on those really damp mornings.

Images

My wife and I use a Tarptent Rainshadow II.
    For two people it's spacious, airy, and light.
    With 2 people there's plenty of room for gear, or a 100 pound dog

my opinion but the zpacks heximid twin is the best on the market

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++