WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Central Virginia Section Hike

I am planning a section hike beginning at Daleville, VA going north for about 10 days beginning Sept. 2. Possibly ending at Spy Rock Rd or the Tye River.
    Looking for suggestions as to a safe place to leave a vehicle and shuttle service. Also I would appreciate any suggestions for resupply.

Hey rmitchell.... you can leave your vehicle in the park & ride right next to the trail on 220 in Daleville or if you feel more comfortable you could leave it at my house. (if I end up shuttling you) Homer Witcher does shuttles in this area. I could help you out...maybe Deer Hunter. He is closer to the your ending point than I am, obviously.

As far as resupply, it's tough through here. It's very limited. Buena Vista & Buchanan are a lil ways off the trail.

Food drops are a possiblilty on the BRP.....

Images

Homer did shuttle me last fall to Wind Rock and I hiked to my vehicle in Daleville. I left it next to the trail at the dry cleaner's (I think) on 220. Usually I prefer to hike north and leave my truck at at the ending point. But I can be flexible. Is there much of a resupply at the campground at VA614, Jennings Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Homer did shuttle me last fall to Wind Rock and I hiked to my vehicle in Daleville. I left it next to the trail at the dry cleaner's (I think) on 220. Usually I prefer to hike north and leave my truck at at the ending point. But I can be flexible. Is there much of a resupply at the campground at VA614, Jennings Creek?
    I know exactly the dry cleaner's you are talking about...

Ok... I see- so you would need a shuttle to Spy Rock/Tye River, leave your car and then start hiking North from Daleville.. OK got ya!!

Seems like we could work that out for you.

That campground at VA624 is a primitive campground... not a resupply option.

I could pick you up for a resupply into Buena Vista or Glasgow and possibly pick up you at the end and take you back to Daleville. The ride into Buena Vista could be from either Rt. 60 or Punchbowl Shelter. It's a short walk down from the shelter to a pick up point. Whichever would work better for you. Glasgow has a small grocery store, restaurant and a Dollar General. Buena Vista has a little more in the way of resupply.
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; 08-10-2013 at 21:40.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Images

If I can find a good place to leave my vehicle, I would prefer to leave it at the northern end of the section. May be the campground at Montebello if they are ok with that or maybe at VA 56. Glasgow might be a better choice milage wise for resupply.

If I can find a good place to leave my vehicle, I would prefer to leave it at the northern end of the section. May be the campground at Montebello if they are ok with that or maybe at VA 56. Glasgow might be a better choice milage wise for resupply.

Ok. The parking lot on 56 may be ok or the one near the fish hatchery but you may check here and they may let you park and take you to the trailhead. http://www.dutchhaus.com/hiking.htm

I could bring you in for the resupply and maybe hikermom and I could tag team and get you back to Montebello. What do you think, mom? Possible?

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Ok. The parking lot on 56 may be ok or the one near the fish hatchery but you may check here and they may let you park and take you to the trailhead. http://www.dutchhaus.com/hiking.htm

I could bring you in for the resupply and maybe hikermom and I could tag team and get you back to Montebello. What do you think, mom? Possible?
    Why yes, we can do that!!

The Dutch Haus is worth staying at. It is not a cultural institution like Ron Haven's place, but it is a very enjoyable place to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Why yes, we can do that!!
    Ok Rmitchell, looks like we can help you.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Just want to chime in and say it's great to have folks like DH and Mom that are willing to go out of thier way to help hikers....blessings to you both.

I think the Dutch Haus is closed for the rest of the year. Too bad, it's a very nice place to stay.
    http://www.dutchhaus.com/

I'm hopeful that I will be hiking labor day weekend myself. I would take you to Montebello myself if it wasn't for that.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Just want to chime in and say it's great to have folks like DH and Mom that are willing to go out of thier way to help hikers....blessings to you both.
    We try and help out when we can.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Thanks DB... that's a kind thing for you to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    We try and help out when we can.
    Yeppers... we make a good team! Have a fun time hiking, DH!!

Thank you Whiteblaze for providing a place for all of us to meet so we can help each other out.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was going to say something just like that. Of course, it's not surprising, but very cool nonetheless.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I think the Dutch Haus is closed for the rest of the year. Too bad, it's a very nice place to stay.
    http://www.dutchhaus.com/
    It is. That was my original plan, to use it as sort of a base camp. We stayed at the B & B there a few years ago on a car trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway.

rather than a new thread I will be headin' opposite way from Loft Mtn SNP to daleville. starting 9/21 finishing 10/2 or 10/3 and will need to get to amtrak in Lynchburg. Looking for shuttle plus advice should I shuttle to roanoke and take smartway connector or shuttle to direct Lynchburg. I know quite a difference in mileage but I do not know which is logistically best. Will probably need overnight in one place or the other which brings up lodging
    also planing maildrop in Montebello I see different mileages in different guides my best guess is the PO is 2.5 miles total distance from trail itself correct??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by energier View Post
    rather than a new thread I will be headin' opposite way from Loft Mtn SNP to daleville. starting 9/21 finishing 10/2 or 10/3 and will need to get to amtrak in Lynchburg. Looking for shuttle plus advice should I shuttle to roanoke and take smartway connector or shuttle to direct Lynchburg. I know quite a difference in mileage but I do not know which is logistically best. Will probably need overnight in one place or the other which brings up lodging
    also planing maildrop in Montebello I see different mileages in different guides my best guess is the PO is 2.5 miles total distance from trail itself correct??
    That distance sounds about right. I just returned from my hike that ended there. From the trail about a half mile south of Spy Rock, Spy Rock Rd is a private gravel road that goes downhill for about 1 mile where there is a hiker parking lot (I left my truck there). At that point it becomes Fish Hatchery Road, still gravel but passable by car. Then continue past the fish hatchery to a stop sign and turn left toward the Post Office on a paved road. The PO is in the same parking lot as the Montebello General Store and Campground. They have some supplies there if you need something that is not in your mail drop.

Images

That distance sounds about right. I just returned from my hike that ended there. From the trail about a half mile south of Spy Rock, Spy Rock Rd is a private gravel road that goes downhill for about 1 mile where there is a hiker parking lot (I left my truck there). At that point it becomes Fish Hatchery Road, still gravel but passable by car. Then continue past the fish hatchery to a stop sign and turn left toward the Post Office on a paved road. The PO is in the same parking lot as the Montebello General Store and Campground. They have some supplies there if you need something that is not in your mail drop.
    These directions are spot on . Spy Rock Rd.is rutty and may knock your muffler bracket loose,so I'd take it slow.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++