WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    REI Traverse (made by Komperdell): The MOST sturdy of the poles I have used by far. Accordingly, they are heavy. Great grip, great handle; I liked them despite my initial misgivings since it wasn't true cork, but cork mixed with resin. It works well and is durable. The major downside is that the tips are not replaceable. Even with the low initial cost, that is a deal breaker for me.
    Equinox pole tips fit the poles, for what it's worth. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___29178. I haven't tried them yet, because I haven't had to replace a tip. I have torn a basket, and the Equinox baskets fit fine.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boots View Post
    Got my replacement lower section from Black Diamond yesterday. Excellent service no cost and no s&h. I highly recommend them
    I had a pair of BD fixed length Z-poles and on about the 4-5 use I slipped on a rock and LIGHTLY bumped one of them from the side. The aluminum portion that inserts into the next section broke. I believe there was something defective about this pole. This was a $160 pair of poles. BD would not warranty them and as it turns out the middle section can not be replaced. Before they knew what section it was they told me I could purchase a section.

So, mine did not break in the typical way the carbon poles break. I would think just to have a happy customer they would have replaced a pole but no they will not budge or give benefit of the doubt so I will not buy anything BD again. Too bad for them, they lose access to my deep pockets and any other deep pockets I have the ability to influence.

What’s the consensus as far as durability? Carbon or aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Bear View Post
    What’s the consensus as far as durability? Carbon or aluminum?
    Bamboo. www.americantrekkingpoles.com
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    Bamboo is great. Cheap, light, strong. I made my poles out of bamboo. $3/ea. from Lowe's. I modified the handles so they can also serve as spreader bars for my bridge hammock.

Michael

We own a pair of Leki poles that have the internal spring to absorb shock. Sounds like a great idea, but it always feels loose or has "give" to it. The noise of it rebounding gets old after a while too, so I'm thinking something more simple the next time. (and with levers instead of twist lock)

I have to say I would not buy BD poles simply because of their customer service. I lightly bumped my $160 z poles from the side and the aluminum insert twisted and snapped. This was not a hard enough bump that should have broken something - I believe there was a defect in the pole. Not only that but it was a segment that could not be replaced. The poles were relatively new. BD would not warranty. Even if I had slammed the things (I didn't) - for the cost and for customer satisfaction purposes I would have expected a pole to be replaced under warranty. When I pay a premium for a product, I expect kick ass customer service. You won;t see it from BD so think before you spend your hard earned cash with them.

I use Lekis but not so sure it matters that much which brand as long as they are comfortable in your hand. I don't like the spring tips. You will probably walk faster with poles, and it can help stop your hands from swelling. But that is not the main reason I use them. I found that without them, I was always looking down at the ground, of course you still need to do that but with the poles I look up a lot more. I can plan my path forward better, they can keep things at bay that I want at bay and there are many other uses. Sort of a life metaphor. Without support you spend a lot of time looking at the ground and just plodding forward. With support you can look up, see down the road and plan a better path.

Images

I got a pair of bamboo poles (i couldn't help it) and they do the job while hiking. I'm not fond of the cork grips and I had to order a different ridge pole for my tent to make them work. But alas they are awkward to take on planes because they are too long for my pack so they need to be shipped separately! Other than that, try Americantrekkingpoles.com
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Got wonderfully light Leki's at 2/3 off at a ski store. There were these adjustable leki trekking poles that they could not seem to sell out of a skiing store, so after a winter season they were cheap. Look around. Buy good high quality trekking poles on sale. I've never paid full price for much of my outdoor gear, there is so much used or marked down excellent gear out there. You might peruse the backpacking light gear swap, it is an excellent source of used gear but you have to know what you are looking for.

I have two pair of Cascade Mountain Tech hiking poles, one set has cork handles and is a twist lock, the other set are rubber handles with and are flip lock. I started to use trekking poles to help regulate my breathing and found that it help with my COPD. POLES ARE AWESOME !!!!!!!

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Journal Entries

So I used a pair of 30 year old ski poles my dad had to hike the AT. Never had a problem, but they are a bit heavy and now i'm thinking about investing in some new poles (Gonna be hiking the Grand Canyon in April). And One thing i do remember is the constant hikers with pole issues. replacing tips, poles breaking, wrist strap breaking. Adjustable poles make me nervous. But would be cool to be able to lend them to my dad sometimes...and i'f i want to bring them on a plane. I'm not looking to spend more than 100 bucks. I've decided against anti shock. There are way too many options here. Heeeeeeeeeeelp. Be decisive

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    BD ERGO Corks!!!!!!
    This .............

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I tell my scouts to either find an old set of ski poles at a thrift shop, or buy the Costco poles before they spend money on something they won't keep using.
    That is a good call for someone who doesn't know if poles are for him.

I have used Walmart poles for several years. When we started backpacking (husband, myself, and 2 sons), we had to cut some corners, and poles was definitely the start - $19/pair at Walmart. Everyone of those sets has broken, plus a couple more.... At this point, I am the only one hiking, and I don't want to be in the middle of a 100 miles hike again and have a pole break (which also means I have to carry it out!). NOTE: My hiking friend put in way more miles with her Leki poles than any of my Walmart ones lasted....but, as bfayer said, they are an inexpensive way to start!

Thanks for the pole advice! I will be looking at all of your suggestions and choosing a quality set this year!

Shelb,

Check out Redbeards Youtube video on his Trekking Poles for his PCT hike. He does a great job discussing his experience hiking the AT with one set and now his choice of Leki Poles.

I had already purchased a different set of poles before watching this video, yet it confirmed my purchase. While I purchased Leki, I went with a different model than his, because of the handles. I wanted Cork versus any other material. I also waited and waited, and waited some more for the price to be low enought for me to pull the trigger. Therefore, I got a $159 dollar set of poles for $129 (plus free shipping).

Your smart for using the Walmart Poles to insure the cost of more expensive poles is worth it. Now that you know you want poles, good luck in choosing the best set for you. The best purchase is the one that you are happiest with!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++