WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default I am I missing better choices on camp shoes?

As I currently see it, there are several ways you can go on the camping shoe issue:
    1. Don’t take any - just use your hiking shoes around camp
    2. Take some type of commercial ultra-light product (like a foam sandal) or homemade version (like this creative camp shoe http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95481-1-oz-waterproof-camp-shoe&highlight=camp+shoes) for use
    3. Try to find the lightest camp shoe that can also be used for river crossings and, if needed, to hike in
    4. Just take a comfortable camp shoe without giving any real consideration to the weight factor
    After much thought, I decided #3 was the way I wanted to go because of the balance between weight and versatility, and so I started doing some research. From WB, other hiking sites, and internet shopping, I came up with the following choices:
    1. Crocs
    2. Minimalist-type running shoes
    3. Timberland Radler Trail Camp Shoes
    I crossed off the Crocs – they come in at close to 12 to 16 oz for a pair (although knock-offs are often less) and I could not see them being secure enough to hike in (if my hiking shoes failed – which happened not long ago when the sole of my Merrill’s separated) or for water crossings
    The Timberlands seemed like a great choice. I found them on sale, they folded up for easy storage, and they were advertised at about 8 oz. They came and I used them on my last trip, and indeed they seemed to meet my requirements. EXCEPT….. when I came back I actually put them on the scale. It seems that they actually weighted over 1 lb. Although they implied otherwise, the stated 8 oz was for each individual shoe!
    Back to the internet I went…. two other shoes seemed to hold promise, the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure Shoes at an advertised 8.8 oz per pair and New Balance Minimus HI RES at 7.4 oz a pair. I went with the HI RES, although I have to admit that $120 is a little on the expensive side (the Ultra Pure are about half that). When they came they actually weighed in at 8.2 oz for size 12. Although I have not used them yet for long distance hiking or river crossings, in walking around with a full pack, they seem to be durable enough to function as emergency hiking shoes and secure enough for river crossings.
    So my question is: Am I missing better options for a light weight (1/2 lb range) “versatile camp” shoe and/or is there some logical flaw that you can see in choosing “option 3” to begin with?

Waldies are a lighter version of crocs. They may be hard to find in the right size.

Option 3 is just fine. I've seen a number of people resort to their crocs for a 10 to 20 mile stretch. It's your hike

You are missing option 0 though - walking barefoot around camp. It feels glorious! Like a massage.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Cant beat Crocs. End of story

Teva Nilch Water Shoes ~ 13 oz./pair $40-55

I have an older model. One draw back is that your feet don't get to "breath" in camp. I have hiked in them when water crossing were close together but I could feel every small rock so not really for extended hiking.

I've seen a number of people resort to their crocs for a 10 to 20 mile stretch.
    Cant beat Crocs. End of story
    Perhaps. I have tried to use my son's Crocs with little success. They keep coming off, so I have a hard time understanding how you could hike in them, much less keep them on crossing rivers such as you find in Maine. I'd think it was just me, but my son ditched his crocs as campshoes in favor of the NB Minimus Zero Trail (@ 9.7 oz) for the same reason.

Teva Nilch Water Shoes ~ 13 oz./pair $40-55

I have an older model. One draw back is that your feet don't get to "breath" in camp. I have hiked in them when water crossing were close together but I could feel every small rock so not really for extended hiking.

Yea, well.... being super light the HI RES are not exactly what I would want to use as main hiking footware either. It's not "option 0", but I would think that for extended use, foot soreness would definatly be an issue. Again, it is just the idea that there is a backup available without having to go "barefoot sister" hiking.

I like tevas, as you can use them in river crossings, in camp at nite, can hike in them, can wear them around town. Not exactly lite, though.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can usually find Croc knock-offs (or similar) that are lighter at Wal-Mart.

Then there is the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure minimalist running shoes. (But note, the weight specifications of 4oz is for one shoe, to the total is 1/2#).

I didn't buy these necessarily as camp shoes but I got these at K Mart for $6.99. Just weighted them at 6.8 ounces each. I may take them on my upcoming PCT hike. http://www.kmart.com/northwest-terri...6&blockType=G6
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

For the price, that looks like a great find. They look like they would be secure on your feet, and if they are at all durable, that would work. And it represents a savings of $113.01 over the NB Minimus HI RES. For that kind of money, I don't think I would notice the 5 extra ounces

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I like tevas, as you can use them in river crossings, in camp at nite, can hike in them, can wear them around town. Not exactly lite, though.
    Teva recently released their "original" model. I have a pair in size 10 that weigh <13 ounces. I know they are heavier than most other camp shoes, but to me they feel better (and look better) than crocs or croc knockoffs. Can't do the flip-flop thing between the toes.

Long ago I had a problem with my boots in PA and got blisters on the sides of my feet, I had a choice of bailing or wearing Tevas. I ended up doing 18 mile the nest day on the PA rocks and 8 miles the next day to our car. After that I switched to trail runners but on long trips still carry the tevas.

I went with VivoBarefoot as I have size 13 feet and crocs were ridiculously heavy! I also can't stand sandal thongs. The vivos offer no real protection or padding, but they're great for airing out your feet at the end of the day! Also, I could wear them around town without too much discomfort. Crocs are so much more comfortable, but I just couldn't justify the weight penalty. Some people will say you don't need camp shoes if you have the right hikers, but I say BS! I carry a different pair of shoes in my car when I do 10mile hikes in the area. I feel it's important to air out your feet and change the cushioning to give the muscles a break.

Images

Im a vivobarefoot fan myself. And you can pack them too.

I recently bought a pair of Keen Newport H2 sandals. I have every reason to believe that they will be used on trail whenever the "trail" becomes soaked or stream crossings are plentiful and frequent. Camp shoes will be icing on the cake. I weighed my size 9's on a digital scale: 1 pound 5 ounces, contrary to the 14 ounces that Keen lists in the internet.
    I like the Newport sandals. The sole is very wide in the forefoot for extra support and traction. The big rubber bumper up front protects my toes.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/pr.../newport%20h2#

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Croc brand slides--the 'shower shoe' type of sandals, (not those ugly clog looking things). I use them in camp. They weigh almost nothing, they're damn near indestructible, and pretty comfortable after a long day in the boots.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Images

For winter camping I like to wear a pair of Sierra Designs down "booties" around camp...nothing compares.

Journal Entries
    Images

I take the weight penalty becuase I use Teva''s..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Journal Entries
    Images

For Camp Shoes Cedar Tree delivered a great product at 1 oz for the $ and when it had a small separation he came up with a good fix...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ght=camp+shoes
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I started in GA with no camp shoes. I found that after days of rain and sweat, I really wanted to air my feet out at the end of the day. I bought a pair of Waldees (Crocs) at Mountain Crossings. I have hiked with them ever since. I have used them for several water crossings in Maine when I did the 100 mile wilderness. I think you just have to be careful to make sure you have the strap around the back of your heel. With socks, you could potentially use them to hike with for a couple days until you could get shoe replacements.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Huaraches?
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++