Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
It would be awesome sitting at a road crossing cooking some burgers with ice cold soda and when a bunch of thru-hikers approached say, "sorry for work crew and trail maintainers only."
Then you would like this.

My brother in law was doing some trail work on the AT a few years back with his local hiking club. A a couple of long distance hikers past thru w/o saying anything.

Then one thru hiker stopped and not only did he thanked them he asked if they wanted some help. They said yes and he spent about an hour helping them finish installing some steps.

While that hiker is helping out, one of his buddies walks by without acknowledging the trailworkers or even his friend, when his friend called out to him.

When they're done, the guy running the work crew told the hiker that if he is in a hurry to get to that nights campsite not to feel obligated, but there is hot dogs and hamburgers waiting for the work crew down at the parking
lot. And he was free to join them.

The hikers said he would love the food, but didn't know if it was right taking food meant for others being he had only been helping for a short while, the crew leaders responded, "nonsense, we don't get hikers who stop and help that often, actually I think you are the first plus Betty never brings just enough, we always have twice as food than we can possible eat "

While they were eating one person mentions to the hiker that they thought his buddy was quite rude, and suggested he say something, to his buddy next time he sees him. The hiker responds by asking a question, "he came by us only about 10 mins before we quit for lunch, had he stopped and helped for those ten mins, would he have been invited to lunch too?" The group leader responded, "yeah, of course, you see how much food we got." The hiker responded as he picked up his fifth hamburger, "oh, then don't worry, next time I see him and tell him about lunch, he is going to seriously regret not stopping to help. Odds is that will be tonight, I'll be sure to tell him all about lunch while he is cooking up his ramon noodles."