WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 2012

Default how goes the winooski bridge project?

well? and how weird is the road walk in that area?
    Lazarus

-My feet are my only carriage so I've got to push on through-

Going SOBO, I hitched into Richmond for resupply and then when I hitched back, my ride took me across the bridge and over to the trail head so I didn't have to do the road walk

Otherwise, it's your typical couple mile road walk. I suppose if your going NOBO, there's less chance of that happening. But it is a popular trail head, so you could luck out if your timing is good. In my book, road walks don't count...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

It is a 3 mile paved road walk, not exactly fun. We did it during our hike of the LT on 8/9. We were offered a ride part way through, but my son being the purist, declined, so we did the walk. Will be a big improvement when the bridge is built!

Bridge should be finished this Spring 2014. Columns are in and awaiting the span.

Are you talking about the roadwalk between Jonesville and the trailhead north of Camel's Hump? Did that this summer, it took about an hour and a half to walk. Nothing weird about it. It was a nice day. Pretty much flat road walking, with the river off to your right as you walk toward Jonesville.

I wasn't aware that there was a footbridge planned. Moot (to me) at this point. Seen enough of Jonesville. Onward!

Default Any updates as of 7/25/14?

Any first-hand accounts of the bridge being completed? The GMC webpage update is rather old, though I've read varying accounts of a "planned 2014 spring completion." Thanks for the help!

Planning a NOBO hike in a couple of weeks starting at Brandon Gap heading north, and trying to figure out mail drops in Johnson and Jonesville. Looking forward to it!

Wren

Images

Winterwren,

I saw some photos a few weeks ago of the project but I cannot remember where. It looked like some construction had started, but is not finished. I would plan on the road walk into Jonesville if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Winterwren,

I saw some photos a few weeks ago of the project but I cannot remember where. It looked like some construction had started, but is not finished. I would plan on the road walk into Jonesville if I were you.
    Thanks for the update! Much appreciated

With the new bridge, does anyone know how far off the trail the Jonesville post office is now?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh D View Post
    With the new bridge, does anyone know how far off the trail the Jonesville post office is now?
    1.7 miles.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'll check on the mileage tomorrow when I drive by... I remembered it as only 1 mile last time I measured it, but memory isn't reliable. I think it's 1.7 miles to the store in Bolton. The bridge appears to be complete, and I have seen people waling on it. Apparently no official announcement has been made. I have plans to take a walk this weekend.

Stopped by the site today. From the Rte 2 crossing N of the new bridge, it's 1.3 miles West to Jonesville (Post Office), and 1.5 miles East to Bolton (gas station with some groceries and a deli). The bridge appears to be complete, with just a few details to wrap up, although it is clearly not considered open - there is a 2/4 bolted across the entrances. I expect that there will be a grand opening in the spring, as soon as mud season is over and the new re-routed trail is open.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

i actually preferred the country road walk. For thru-hikers it takes you right to the PO where you likely have to go anyway or if not people often hitch into Richmond for resupply. I really didn't see this as a big need for the LT.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I get why they did it. I would rather walk in the woods than through a town. I am doing the Long Trail this summer. This bridge did change my resupply plans. I will not be resupplying in that area. I doubt I am alone in this. I like the bridge because it keeps me in the woods, but because it is there, that area will lose my business.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Official opening ceremony is June 12, kicking off the GMC annual meeting. I don't know if the re-routed trail will be in use prior to that date.

I hiked the LT in Sept 2013, and that road walk was the most hazardous part of the entire hike. Almost got hit by a speeding dumptruck, had to practically dive off the road into an adjoining drainage ditch to avoid the truck. I welcome the news of the reroute and the new bridge. The GMC has been planning this project for years. Looking forward to doing another LT hike this fall, and see the new bridge and trail reroute.

++ New Posts ++