WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I bet if you really did an honest cost evaluation, the Limmers would cost less over a period of a few years.

Wayne
    Yep. I have a pair of custom Limmers from the 80s, and they are virtually indestructible, and can be easily re-soled. I'm happier at this point with the more "disposable" Merrells. Then again, I'm not loading up 75-100 lbs and taking out groups anymore either. Should be hitting the Whites this week though with a group, but for a day trip where each will more or less carry his own. I may be loaded up with a little extra, but not much, as it will have to fit in my day pack. Psyched.

Enjoy! I'll give my Merrell Moabs an honest, real world, 3-7 day test drive one of these years. I do plan to buy a larger, wider size for backpacking.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I like Merrill, but I doubt I could ever buy them online. I have two pairs right now, and one is 13, the other is 13.5... Enough variation in the same year model of boots to have to go up half a size? Tough to find boots wide enough, tried on a pair of keens (can't recall the model) had to go up to a 14.5 to get wide enough! I suppose I could just carry a spare pair of socks in the end of the toe!
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Salewa was sold in Boone at Footsloggers in January. They are still listed as a dealer on Salewa page but I haven't been in since. Footsloggers also has a location in downtown Blowing Rock.

I went to a couple of places in Charlotte, NC and no avail. I tried Scarpa, and Salwea. I'm at a loss. I was fitted but my feet are too damn wide. One of those companies makes a wide ( sorry I don't remember, must of been Salwea, Scarpa is made in Italy ) and it still didn't work.

Has anyone tried work boots.... without the steel toe. I was told that with most trail boots there are two sizes regular and wide. with work boots they can go up in width.

I hate disposable things but I'm getting tired of looking. I do not want to order on line since in the words of one sales person, "you have some really funky feet"

Floyd

I just realized I did not answer the original question... REI is where I have bought 5 of my last 7 pair. Even with the new slightly less generous return policy I like that I can take them back if they really don't work out. One pair I bought at "any mountain" in California proved not to be right after about 15 minutes on the trail.. They would not take them back.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Floyd,
    Limmer Custom Boots. They will make a perfect fit for your Funky Feet. The Limmer standard boots (redy made) come in several widths.
    You might give Red Wing or other work boot makers a chance. Have you looked at Danner boots? They claim wide widths.

Wayne

Venchka,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at Danner and they do have a extra wide size. I do not want to order something on line but I looked at Sierra trading post and will put more thought into it. I want to talk to them about thier return policy and such on the phone.

I'm going to check out some work boots today as well. Will go to REI as well. Went there once and the person really didn't know shoes who was working the department. He had to ask another person if a boot had PU or EVA midsoles. Not good.

Those Limmer custom boots look like battle tanks!!!!! I will look into those as well.

I hate shopping, I really do. It brings out the worst in me. Some like it. I hate it !

Floyd

You might try zappos.com. Order a bunch of pairs, try them out at you house, and return what you don't like. They have a 365 day return period with free return shipping.

Images

Though I normally wear trail runners (or Keens) when hiking, I love my Zamberlan Vioz GT boots! Have about 1,000 miles on this pair of boots and they seem to still be going strong. I know the OP was not interested in EV soles, but these boots are worth a mention. They can also be found at REI.

Images

http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-151...chocorua+boots

I've put two more new pair into my gear closet for my 2016 attempt. I've used them for years, but they seem to be running out of the 13 wide I need. I have them in tan/green. I think I'm on pairs 3 and 4, not sure. They fit perfectly out of the box. I've not had to break them in at all, but that's my luck.

The only problem I've had is with the front toe bumper coming loose about 1/4 inch after 300+ miles. Shoe-goo fixes that with no problem.

Waterproof to the max and yes, they take a day or so to dry while hiking on a dry day. I can't stand cold, wet feet in any type of tennis shoe or sneaker which is what trail runners seem to be to me. I have some pretty significant scarring on the ankles where rocks, etc. have hit me. I think anything low quarter style would have given me a nasty slice.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I've been using the the Targhee 2 Mid since around april. They've been great in the Adirondacks, even with bunion problems. However, I could also recommend trail runners. I find that they give you much more maneuverability than boots. They dry out quicker and take a lot less time to break in.
    I like both. It depends on your preference.

Well the quest lives on!

I have gone to REI and nothing, called every reputable outfitter and nothing with EE. I'm going to have to go directly to Danner, Asolo, and Limmer.

I have done searches on the web for wide feet and nothing.

It is really surprising to have this much trouble. I did try work boots and they felt awful. Not the unbroken feel awful, but the yuk feeling.

Floyd

Call the folks at Limmer. Hopefully they can help. You could do worse.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Some people don't like them, but I use New Balance 411 in wide width. Thge wide width only because I have six toes.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJack96 View Post
    Thge
    "The" sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Well the quest lives on!

I have gone to REI and nothing, called every reputable outfitter and nothing with EE. I'm going to have to go directly to Danner, Asolo, and Limmer.

I have done searches on the web for wide feet and nothing.

It is really surprising to have this much trouble. I did try work boots and they felt awful. Not the unbroken feel awful, but the yuk feeling.

Floyd
    I was at Mt Rogers Outfitters this past weekend and Jeff told me that Oboz is coming out with a new extra-wide shoe soon. You might call him--I know that some of my friends in PA who regularly hike in the rocks swear by the toughness and durability of the Oboz shoe--I personally have experienced the same exact problem as you and can wear-out a Keen boot pretty quickly. Hopefully you can find a good solution--I might be right behind you in line.

I'm looking to replace my Keen Targhees. I love the comfort with them. I have a flat wide foot and I like the wide toebox. I also have pretty flat feet. What I didn't like was that they did not last at least 500 miles. - MisterFloyd

I find this EXTREMELY STRANGE AND ABNORMAL that you say you are only getting 500 miles out of a pr of Keen Targhees! I've gone through about 8-10 prs over the course of the past 6 yrs or so and I routinely get more miles out of mine. AND, I mainly use them on very abrasive rocky hikes not always on trail but on bushwacks out west where I want a more durable and protective low cut than my lightest wt big miles flimsy trail runners. Very strange. I would like to know where they are wearing out in your use after only 500 miles.

Hi Dogwood,

They were wearing out in the lugs on both feet, and also in the brake on the heel. by the time I got off the section of the AT they were pretty worn down nothing left to grip. They started seperating in the narrow section joining the upper and the lower part of the sole. They also started seperating on someplaces on the lower rand.

I'm giving the llbean crest trail hikers a try. They were one of the only companies that had sizes in in EE plus I did a lot of looking on reviews and they were rated well. Got them yesterday. I wore them today at work and will do so tomorrrow. Will take them on some hikes around the neiborhood this week end, as well as a state park this week end. I'm going to give them a month or so to break in to give my final ya or neah. So far pretty comfortable. I like thier warrenty and 100 percent satisfaction. Of course just different than the keens.

If I could get more milage out of them, then I would be on to something!

Floyd

My father hiked with me on the AT for several hundred miles in several pairs of Keen boots. Like you, he loves the fit of Keens but some started to fall apart shockingly fast (stitching coming undone within days, etc). Apparently REI has told him that Keen's quality (at least of their boots--he and I have both been very happy with their sandals) varies hugely depending on the factory where they are made. So it's basically luck of the draw whether you get a boot that lasts for a reasonable amount of time or falls apart within the week. He just returns them to REI for a new pair when when he gets a dud, betting that eventually he'll get some that last. Frustrating.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++