WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default where are the good hiking boots?

Hello,

I'm looking to replace my Keen Targhees. I love the comfort with them. I have a flat wide foot and I like the wide toebox. I also have pretty flat feet. What I didn't like was that they did not last at least 500 miles.

I'm looking for a good sole, preferably vibram, PU midsole, and at least ankle high. Waterproof (ha, ha,) would be great as well.

Well, it has been tougher to find than I imagined. Most are a EV sole, and are too narrow.

I have gone to many places and cannot find what I'm looking for. I live in the Charlotte NC area.

If I cannot I will keep buying the above and accept the fact that they will last 300-500. To me it seems like throwing money away. Would rather buy something that lasts even if it means more $$$$$

Any Help?

Best,
    Floyd

Images

have you tried keen targhees?
    kidding.
    if you're thinking of thru hiking consider changing to trail runners. theyre lighter, dry faster, and give you about the same miles as your targhees, which i used to wear and always found them super comfortable.the waterproof thing is good for short section hikes and winter, beyond that they stay wet too long and get heavy.or stick with the targhees and keep replacing them.

Images

You would be surprised how comfortable trail runners are, good grip on slick rocks too.

I too need to buy wide width and the best fitting boot I have had is the Montrail Torre GTX in a wide width.

+1 on the trailrunners. But most manufacturers list 300-500 mis as the useful life of the shoe. YMMV

Images

Inov-8!!! Maddog! :
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

I say try both and see what works. For the massive rocky, root covered, standing water and deep mud filled trails of NC I roll with Salewa Mountain Trainer Mids. If boots are what you want these are it.

Gettin someone's opinion on shirts is one thing, but shoes a little different, too many variations person to person. If you want waterproof, I was happy with the Treksta Evolution, comfortable from day one, put 415 miles on them last spring and they show a little wear next to the ankle but have lots of miles left. IMO, any Gortex will start taking on water after a while, I converted to non Gortex Asics Kahana, very cushioned, wide toe box, dry faster, cheaper but dont last as long.

Worldpeace,

I was just up at Boone yesterday and spent a few days at Grandfather mountain hiking. I want something that will take a beating on the rocks, and the tree roots in NC. After coming back, whatever tread I had left on my keens, are pretty much gone.

I pack about 35 pounds, at the heaviest on the AT and lighter, at Grandfather, Linville Gorge, Mt. Mitchell etc. I mention this as this is the terrain I like to go in besides the AT.

I went to a well none store at Boone and was given a hard sell for Oboz. Back in Charlotte, I will try a store today. Lastly I will try REI.

I like my keens, but I want something to last longer.

Floyd

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking to replace my Keen Targhees. I love the comfort with them. I have a flat wide foot and I like the wide toebox. I also have pretty flat feet. What I didn't like was that they did not last at least 500 miles.

I'm looking for a good sole, preferably vibram, PU midsole, and at least ankle high. Waterproof (ha, ha,) would be great as well.

Well, it has been tougher to find than I imagined. Most are a EV sole, and are too narrow.

I have gone to many places and cannot find what I'm looking for. I live in the Charlotte NC area.

If I cannot I will keep buying the above and accept the fact that they will last 300-500. To me it seems like throwing money away. Would rather buy something that lasts even if it means more $$$$$

Any Help?

Best,
    Floyd
    These are my favorite.

http://www.newbalance.com/Dunham-Clo...20&cgid=111000
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

I went boot shopping at the Mast General Store in Boone a few years ago. I had not been "enlightened" by WhiteBlaze at the time. I bought a pair of Asolo 520 boots. My choice. We were in Boone last June. I visited Footsloggers. Nice store. I wasn't shopping for footwear, but I would go back if I were. I also visited the good folks at:
    Outdoor Supply Company
    2427 North Center Street
    Hickory, NC 28601
    828-322-2297
    They showed me some nice kayaks and Hilleberg tents. I didn't look at footwear. If I'm ever in the market, I'll go back to Hickory as well.
    Long winded way of saying: I'm not convinced that anything on th market today will last more than 400-500 miles under load in rough terrain. With the possible exception of a pair of Limmer Boots in standard or heavyweight models.
    Right now, I am trying to wear out 2 pairs of Merrell Moab Ventilator trail runners and the Asolo 520 boots. Mrs. Wayne won't let me buy anything new until the current shoes wear out.
    Good luck!

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Most of the lighter boots are really glorified sneakers and are not likely to get more than 500 miles of rough use. Same goes for trail shoes and trail runners. I'm very happy with Merrell Moab Ventilators (low cut, not waterproof), but I have realistic expectations for them.

If you want something that will last, it's going to be in the traditional hiking boot category, and fairly heavy. I've moved away from that after decades, but it's still an option.

I bet I know which store as they tried that on me too.

I've put ~100 miles of trail on these plus wear them to work and other places in snow. I never feel the rocks through them. I walk on the pointed ones sometimes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Gettin someone's opinion on shirts is one thing, but shoes a little different, too many variations person to person. If you want waterproof, I was happy with the Treksta Evolution, comfortable from day one, put 415 miles on them last spring and they show a little wear next to the ankle but have lots of miles left. IMO, any Gortex will start taking on water after a while, I converted to non Gortex Asics Kahana, very cushioned, wide toe box, dry faster, cheaper but dont last as long.
    Ment to mention, what really like about the Treksta shoes is the fiberglass impregnated into the soles, exceptional grip on rocks

Images

Merrell makes several styles of boots, some ankle high and some higher.Also different weights for load size and where you might use them most.Their fit is pretty much the same as Keen's. I've used OnlineShoes.com, very good customer service..

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPeaceAndStuff View Post
    I bet I know which store as they tried that on me too.

I've put ~100 miles of trail on these plus wear them to work and other places in snow. I never feel the rocks through them. I walk on the pointed ones sometimes.
    What boots are those? The actually look like my 1980s vintage Vibram Roccia Block soles on my 1980s vintage Pivetta 5 boots.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Most of the lighter boots are really glorified sneakers and are not likely to get more than 500 miles of rough use. Same goes for trail shoes and trail runners. I'm very happy with Merrell Moab Ventilators (low cut, not waterproof), but I have realistic expectations for them.

If you want something that will last, it's going to be in the traditional hiking boot category, and fairly heavy. I've moved away from that after decades, but it's still an option.
    +1

Love my non-waterproof Moab low-tops. Love them so much that I have gone through 8 pair in as many years. One season hiking in Appalachia is about all you are going to get from them, and I don't find that they do well under load or on truly rough terrain.

For the really rough stuff, or carrying any kind of load (more than daypack territory), I am a huge fan of an all-leather boot with some serious rigidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    What boots are those? The actually look like my 1980s vintage Vibram Roccia Block soles on my 1980s vintage Pivetta 5 boots.
    Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid. Here's a side shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hello,

Any Help?

Best,
    Floyd
    http://www.limmerboot.com

Thanks! Can I get those in Boone the next time I visit?

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    I bet if you really did an honest cost evaluation, the Limmers would cost less over a period of a few years.

Wayne

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++