WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rain Jacket or Packa or DriDucks? Best Rain Gear?

Ok I'm really struggling to make a decision for my warm weather rain gear. I really like the looks and reviews I've read on rain jackets like the Marmot Super Mica, Mont-Bell Torrent Flier. Anyone have experience with these jackets be curious to know if they will hold up on a thru hike? Im also thinking the Packa eVent might be a good idea? What do you guys think about it? Is the eVent version overkill? Are rain jackets a better option? Lastly Frogg Toggs DriDucks DuraLite 3. Are these possibly the best option? For me price doesn't matter. So which would you guys go with? I already have a Columbia Triple Trail 2 hard shell for winter rain conditions.

packa is hard to beat in my opinion.

Dont own one, yet, but that would be my choice if buying a new rain jacket.

Anyone have anything negative to say about the Packa?...I'm considering a purchase.

Default Rain Jacket or Packa or DriDucks? Best Rain Gear?

All of these jackets will work just fine, but I would say be sure you get one with pit zips. The pit zips do a good job of relieving moisture and heat in hot weather. I wore a Zpacks rain jacket on my LT thru when it rained every day for 2 weeks. Loved it. The Packa it great too.
    Last edited by Deacon; 08-18-2013 at 07:54.

I'm a big fan of the Packa, but I'm not convinced that the eVent version is really worth the extra cash and weight, except perhaps for winter. I base this on my propensity to wet out rain gear from the inside, regardless of the purported "breathability" of the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    . I base this on my propensity to wet out rain gear from the inside, regardless of the purported "breathability" of the fabric.
    +1. If you wear any type of rain gear while hiking you'll have a choice of getting wet either from sweat or from rain. this is true for the biggest majority of hikers(unless the temperature is low. Pit zips help a little. "breathability" of fabric is secondary (imo) to pit zips. If it's warm enough and rain level is light or moderate, most people will forego the rain shell and just hike with a pack cover. This is not to say don't take a rainjacket as you will be provided ample time to hike in the cold and wet. you will need a waterproof shell at some point. I hiked with a guy who carried a small umbrella - that was perfect for the rain in the warmer seasons. He didn't use poles so he had his hands free to carry one.. It was small in diameter so it would not snag in the brush,limbs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    All of these jackets will work just fine, but I would say be sure you get one with pit zips. The pit zips do a good job of relieving moisture and heat in hot weather. I wore a Zpacks rain jacket on my LT thru when it rained every day for 2 weeks. Loved it. The Packa it great too.
    What zpack jacket did you wear? The cuben fiber jacket? If so what was your experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I've used the pit zips in my rain shell to turn it into a rain vest. I stick my arms out of the pit zip openings and tuck the empty sleeves inside. Your torso is covered and your arms are exposed, acting like radiators to dissipate heat. I think it can extend the comfortable temperature range for the shell as long as you don't care about your arms getting wet.

Frogg Toggs DriDucks are super light. They keep the rain off of you. You will never be dry no matter what you wear due to perspiration. I prefer to have something as light as possible, especially when I have to carry them regardless if I am using them or not. They are also good to put on when the mosquitoes get bad when you are in camp.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I have a contrary opinion about warm weather rain gear for hiking. It's like that Bob Dillon song, "Everything is Broken". Nothing Works! No matter how much money you spend you will be just as wet at the end of the day. Up and down mountains, the weight of a pack, the heat of the day, the wind driven rain. The combination of the water you generate and the water blowing in makes it impossible to stay dry. If your rain gear opts for a " keep out the rain method" like plastic bags and Frog Trogs, your own moisture will make you wet. If your rain gear opts for a "special breathing fabric vent system" water will come in. So my advice is, don't spend too much money and get ready to be disappointed. These opinions are about Warm Weather rain gear.

Default eVent Packa

I've been a big fan of the eVent Packa since it came out about 4 years ago. I've got about 600 miles in one. I do most of my hiking in cold to very cold weather and I love it for cold weather hiking. In 2010 I started at Springer on Feb. 13th with an unbelievable amount of snow. I would hike in just a base layer and the eVent Packa in temps in the 20s and it worked great. Honestly, I've never really noticed how the breathability helps as I am quick to open the pit vents and slow down when I start getting hot. Like many others, my biggest issue with the eVent Packa besides the color (I hate red) is the weight at about 17oz for a medium. I did one hike last year with a 10D prototype and found it very good as well, even got some rain on that hike to give it a good testing. The 10D has a nice soft supple feel to it.

With this cool snap we are having I am getting anxious to hit the trail soon. I am looking forward to my next hike as I have cut about 3 lbs from my pack weight since my last hike. First, I made a cuben tarp tent that weighs 16oz (not including stakes or strings) and ditched my BA flycreek1. Second, I am going with the 10D over the eVent Packa. And third, my single layer cuben moccasins will replace my croc knockoffs.

The pictures below are of the first edition Cedar Tree Tarp Tent. I initially used a straight ridgeline but I felt there was too much floppy-ness in the fly so I sewed a cat cut ridgeline and now it is tight as a drum. It is vented along both sides and at the tops of both gable ends.
    Cedar Tree
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Marmot Precip..Not most expensive, not cheapest, will work for a while and doubles as my hard shell. In cold weather its part of my total system. Not the greatest not the worst.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I have noticed reduced interior moisture using e-Vent rain gear on rainy days with temps in the 50s.

The Packa is a great product and those pit zips dramatically extend the comfort range. The only caveat I'd have at all is wearing one in high winds on exposed ridgelines.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A.T.Lt View Post
    Marmot Precip..Not most expensive, not cheapest, will work for a while and doubles as my hard shell. In cold weather its part of my total system. Not the greatest not the worst.
    +1 This is what I've used for the last four years! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Why don't you get yourself a cheap pair of DriDucks and try them out? Not a whole lot of money to risk. If the DriDucks don't thrill you, try one of the others you mentioned. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I've used the pit zips in my rain shell to turn it into a rain vest. I stick my arms out of the pit zip openings and tuck the empty sleeves inside. Your torso is covered and your arms are exposed, acting like radiators to dissipate heat. I think it can extend the comfortable temperature range for the shell as long as you don't care about your arms getting wet.
    awesome idea

Journal Entries
    Images

Warm perspiration inside dry ducks is far preferable to getting soaked with cold/freezing rain. For the money, they worked very well, but you can't sit or brush up against anything without getting holes in your backside. Duct tape works for awhile.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Warm perspiration inside dry ducks is far preferable to getting soaked with cold/freezing rain. For the money, they worked very well, but you can't sit or brush up against anything without getting holes in your backside. Duct tape works for awhile.

You have to be careful with driducks.

But the propore is breathable second only to event.

Nothing else even comes close to those 2 while being waterproof

Most windshirts dont even come close, and they are just DWR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++