WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Need a little help staying on the horse.

Hey you guys,
    I'm headed sobo, hanging out at Harper's Ferry Hostel for the day. I've been having a rough time lately, struggling with motivation and that stuff. In fact, I'm here for the day so I can make up my mind about getting off the trail or not. I worry that I have gotten all I'm going to get, or I'll turn into a zombie if I keep hiking without any motivation, etc, etc. The last week or so has just seen me waking up and already thinking about where I'm going to end up. 20 or more miles doesn't go too fast when you're already thinking of the end. Anyhoo, I took a few days off in Waynesboro, PA with my mom but I still didn't find that spark. This last stretch from southern NJ to Harper's Ferry has felt pretty unfulfilling. I want to do what I can to finish what I set out to do, and I definitely don't want to make a snap decision that I'll regret. So I'm asking you all if you have any words of wisdom or if you know about stuff up ahead to get me excited again. Thanks!!

ROOSTER

It's hard to say without knowing you and your initial reason for hiking and all...

I remember going through a zombie period on my bike about 10 years ago, it lasted for over a year (I've been riding a bike as my primary form of transportation since the '80's). I really felt like quitting, I also had no spark and just couldn't get the energy to do anything but trudge down the road.

I then entered into a charity ride http://sharonforepilepsy.org/ and I saw how me on a loaded bike with panniers and all could out ride a bunch of guys on thousand + dollar bikes. It put the spark back in my cycling. Then my 2006 hike put another jumpstart in my cycling.

Sometimes you just have to endure those zombie periods. I would say just have fun with it, but I know there is no fun during those times.

Chances are taking a day off and sitting isn't going to help. Maybe take a couple of days off and do something different. Take a mini vacation from your vacation. Go rafting. Go ride a horse. Go volunteer for something. Get a job at McDonald's for three days. Get arrested for littering. The sky is the limit within reason. Embrace the fact that your not on anyones schedule. You don't have an 8 am shift on Monday, unless you pick up the job at McDonald's.

We could possibly give you a better answer if you list your reason for hiking. I know some will say (because I've heard it many times before): "If it ain't fun just stop and go home...". However, I don't agree with that in every situation.

BTW, are you on a SOBO thru-hike?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    We could possibly give you a better answer if you list your reason for hiking. I know some will say (because I've heard it many times before): "If it ain't fun just stop and go home...". However, I don't agree with that in every situation.

BTW, are you on a SOBO thru-hike?
    I am indeed on a thru-hike. Started June 13. I had this desire in my gut to do this since I heard about it three years ago. I was in grad school for the past year and decided in January that I would go for it. I wanted a meditative walk to mull things over (past relationship, parents' divorce, other meaty topics), and I also like the challenge. I'm from South Carolina and have visited the Blue Ridge, so those are the mountains I thought about when I thought of the AT. Going southbound was a timing thing since I couldn't start til after a friend's wedding. I like walking towards home. I also have a good number of family and friends following my blog, and my dad wants to come hike with me for a small section. If it helps, I'll give a link to my "About Me" section of my blog, where I talked about some of my reasons for hiking before I began: http://aarontakesawalk.blogspot.com/p/about-me.html

Well I got some other things to say about your motivation and the zombie effect, which I believe is not always something to be avoided, contrary to popular opinion. However, every other sunday's I make a kick ass pot of spaghetti and realized I need some ingredients, therefore I gotta go now and get started.

But I will say you gotta (at the very least) stay on the trail until you hike with your dad. You quit before that you'll feel like sh1t later on. So for now embrace the zombie.

If you're "walking home", then you're not quite there yet. Good luck on making a decision that's right for you.

I'm feeling optimistic today! Can anyone tell me about the parts of Northern Virginia that they found most enjoyable? I got bummed out by some of the late-season nobos who were very negative. "[Insert section here] just sucks man, blah blah blah."

Journal Entries

"EMBRACE THE SUCK"

"Your going to hurt, be cold, hot, tired, get rained on, have gear fail and get discouraged, but you'll also see those magical sunrises, sunsets, and reconnect with nature. The trick is to be able to appreciate them when they happen.

It never get easier, your body just gets used to the pain.

Never quit on a bad day!"

Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Hatteras Jack View Post
    Hey you guys,
    I'm headed sobo, hanging out at Harper's Ferry Hostel for the day. I've been having a rough time lately, struggling with motivation and that stuff. In fact, I'm here for the day so I can make up my mind about getting off the trail or not. I worry that I have gotten all I'm going to get, or I'll turn into a zombie if I keep hiking without any motivation, etc, etc. The last week or so has just seen me waking up and already thinking about where I'm going to end up. 20 or more miles doesn't go too fast when you're already thinking of the end. Anyhoo, I took a few days off in Waynesboro, PA with my mom but I still didn't find that spark. This last stretch from southern NJ to Harper's Ferry has felt pretty unfulfilling. I want to do what I can to finish what I set out to do, and I definitely don't want to make a snap decision that I'll regret. So I'm asking you all if you have any words of wisdom or if you know about stuff up ahead to get me excited again. Thanks!!

ROOSTER
    Hi

It sounds to me like you are going through the classic stages of culture shock. You've officially exited the honeymoon stage and are in "stage 2". I'm a sociology professor so it's one of those things I see happening to people in a variety of situations. It doesn't just happen with going to a new country, it can happen with new activities, jobs, etc. I haven't thru hiked yet, doing it next year, but I can still relate and so can anyone whose experienced culture shock before. I lived in South Korea for a year. The first bit was awesome and then I entered phase 2 which is pretty much the crappy stage. A lot of my peers went home when they entered this stage and it looks like a lot of people leave the trail too after the 3 monthish honeymoon stage is over. It's hard to get through, but if you do, and you can adjust, then the emotional and mental rewards are amazing. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to push through it, it's tough. But the reward is even greater too in my opinion. Here's a link to a brief summary of stages of culture shock. It talks as if related to being in another country, but if you replace that with hiking, I think you'll see what I mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock

2010 complete

All I can add is that PA was my least favorite state. You are now back in the mountains. I would at least hike into Shenandoah and see if you still feel unimpressed. also, you have a new season coming.

On the bright side, you just made it through the most boring part of the trail(CT to MD). Plus it never feels good to say goodbye to family and friends like you just did in Waynesboro so you might still be carrying that with you. It comes down to do you want to see the southern half of the AT this year, sometime later, or if you don't care to see the rest of it. If it's one of the first two, you'll probably never be in better hiking shape than you are now so the longer you stay out the less you'll have to do in the future. You've got the Shenandoahs(and Waysides) coming up, wild ponies in Grayson, the Smokies and mountain views in TN/NC/GA awaiting to name a few. If you need to break things up a bit, you could head into DC for a day, hitch to Luray to see the caverns, go rafting(which may or may not include aqua blazing) etc.

Images

You've got the roller coaster up ahead, which is widely hated, but after that is Shennandoah National Park, which is a favorite of many. I'd say set SNP, which goes along the Blue Ridge, of course, as your reward for getting through the coaster, then keep trucking along. Once you get to the Roanoke area, McAfee Knob can be your next reward, then Grayson Highlands and the ponies. At that point, the smell and feel of home should keep you going to Springer.

Good luck!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Embrace the hike and keep going. I just finished my education (PhD in Human Services, Dissertation/research about psychological change from Thru Hiking the AT). I lived through journals for the past two years with my research. I also Thru hiked back in 2000 after I finished my BA. After about three months I had physical issues on the trail, I stopped when I got home in NJ NOBO thru hiking after around four months. I took a month to heal since I was ahead of the crowds. Thinking back, it took a long time to be able to adventure out again. Think about when You may have this opportunity again to finish the trail. Keep going for YOU. I see a little bit of pressure in your hike since family and friends are following it. It is hard to help with a decision; but it is great you put out feelers on the situation. I regretted coming off the trail and sectioning the rest; but the trail will always be there for us. If you decide to stop and cannot find work, hard these days to find work IMHO, then you can always finish early next year. Though, as in my past situation, I had a new job that did not allow me to take more then eight days off straight for over seven years. The opportunity to thru hike was lost until now; with no work at hand. Make a list of pros and cons; then make a decision after sitting on it for awhile. This is always a tough question to be answered by others. Take care Aaron.
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

ROOSTER! Leprechaun here. I met you climbing Smart Mountain just the other side of Bill Ackerly's place.
    If you remember, I started off thinking I might thru hike but got off in VA, then got back on and hike NH.

At times, I regret not going into my hike more set in my mind that it was going to be a thru hike.
    I got off in Daleville, VA, but there is beautiful hiking around there. McAfee's Knob, Dragon's Tooth, Grayson Highlands were highlights of my hike.
    Make sure you time it up right to eat at the AYCE place near 4 Pines Hostel.
    Woods Hole was a really cool hostel. The smokies were awesome.
    I know what it's like to lose interest in a hike... I got off the trail twice yet I'm still here on whiteblaze.net reading posts...

Anyway, you're doing great and have made it through some of the toughest parts of the trail in my opinion. I'm hoping to get out and hike some of GA this fall and see a few of you SOBOs. Good luck to you whatever your decision is!

Images

If you got off trail would you regret not finishing? If so maybe change your trail name to no regrets

Quote Originally Posted by evan_rolltide View Post
    ROOSTER! Leprechaun here. I met you climbing Smart Mountain on the other side of Bill Ackerly's place.
    If you remember, I started off thinking I might thru hike but got off in VA, then got back on and hike NH.

At times, I regret not going into my hike more set in my mind that it was going to be a thru hike.
    I got off in Daleville, VA, but there is beautiful hiking around there. McAfee's Knob, Dragon's Tooth, Grayson Highlands were highlights of my hike.
    Make sure you time it up right to eat at the AYCE place near 4 Pines Hostel.
    Woods Hole was a really cool hostel. The smokies were awesome.
    I know what it's like to lose interest in a hike... I got off the trail twice yet I'm still here on whiteblaze.net reading posts...

Anyway, you're doing great and have made it through some of the toughest parts of the trail in my opinion. I'm hoping to get out and hike some of GA this fall and see a few of you SOBOs. Good luck to you whatever your decision is!
    Leprechaun! I remember you! Where did you end up? I'm definitely keeping on tomorrow. I think these feelings are passing, especially thanks to encouragement from people like you. Hope to see you down in Georgia.

What can you do to make the journey more fulfilling? What are you not being grateful for? What are you not appreciating? How can you mix things up to keep things more interesting? What can you do to not be bored? How might looking at the bigger picture help you? How can you have greater peace and joy on you hike? How can you take the focus off yourself? How can you give back to the trail and the trail community surrounding the 1100 miles or so of trail you just hiked? How can you let your creativeness and positive personal characteristics shine in the further planning and completion of this journey? What can you share with others? What are you missing that is currently enabling a sense of lack of motivation?

It's a BIG beautiful world! You're doing something that others can't or fail to follow through on. Do you know how fortunate you are? Do you know most Americans have no idea of the splendor that you've allowed yourself to experience? Most Americans don't know what's even in the woods or on the Appalachian Trail. And, those that have an inkling of the wonders of nature and what an AT thru-hike CAN entail learn about it from a book, picture, or through a computer. You're there - LIVING IT! Isn't that worth it? Do you know the gift the blessing LIFE that is on your front door Welcome mat at this very moment? Don't be so quick to kick it aside! This is an opportunity not a chore!

Don't allow your thoughts to wander, meditate, and overly focus upon quitting, why what you're doing sucks, being unmotivated, etc because what you focus upon is what you manifest into your life! Focus and ponder upon why what you're doing is so awesome, joyful, peaceful, enlightening, healthy, self actualizing, such a blessing, so gratifying, one of the greatest things a person can do for themselves and others, how it affords infinite opportunities to show your generosity, kindness, and unselfishness, and how it can be a vehicle for assisting you(and others through you) to connect with yourself and the Universe(GOD, the GREAT OM, etc.). I promise you, if you think like this your behavior will follow and it will change not only your thru-hike but your life!

Don't let this spark of motivation(which is really so much more) I'm sharing just be a quick pick me up feel good at the moment thing. You have to change the way you're thinking and acting by reconditioning yourself to live consistently in a more empowering state. This isn't just about a hike! Do you see that?

Do you notice the similarities between the journey of a thru-hike with the journey that's called LIFE in general? What you are now experiencing is not just your hike but YOUR LIFE! Don't forget that. This may sound overly philosophical TO SOME but there's truth in that.

When wanna be a thru-hikers tell me they are bored, they lack motivation, they want to quit, etc I find it's because they are lacking gratitude, wonderment of their journey, sharing and enlightening others, TOO FOCUSED ON THEMSELVES, having the thru-hiking mentality that thru-hiking is ONLY about hiking(this mentality is really shallow and limiting to me), etc. Keep your journey fresh by incorporating other activities into your thru-hike. I find when I'm also intentionally conscientious of giving back on a hike it makes ALL my hikes that much more enriching. It invigorates me! Something happens that I can't fully explain; but, I know it makes me feel good. When I approach hikes from a place of gratitude and appreciation rather just hiking to say I did a thru-hike the journey is so much more enriching. I notice things I normally would miss. Gratitude assists us from getting depressed, too introverted, angry, annoyed/ill at ease, self focused, and especially from becoming a bitchy unmotivated complainer!

I've been where you are at, and not only on hikes. Quitting your hike based on(or when you're in) a negative limiting state is NOT the empowering answer.

Enjoy the ENTIRE journey! That includes not just as it pertains to the thru-hiking journey! Don't squander the opportunity to be all that you can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatteras Jack View Post
    Leprechaun! I remember you! Where did you end up? I'm definitely keeping on tomorrow. I think these feelings are passing, especially thanks to encouragement from people like you. Hope to see you down in Georgia.
    I hiked most of NH, yellow blazing a little bit. Loved the whites, but a lot of factors got me off the trail in Maine I guess. Had an opportunity to visit my brother out in Cali and took it. No regrets there, but I can't stop thinking about hiking haha. Keep your blog updated, I'm trying to follow a few SOBOs and see when I can get out there and do some magic and hiking.

Images

How you choose to handle adversity on the trail is likely consistent with how you handle it in life. Sometimes there are larger lessons to learn beond the immediate gratification of the moment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++