WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Help locating an item of interest:

I am looking for a high / low thermometer but can't find one at the typicl places like Campmor or REI....my scoutmaster of old is the last person I saw with one...looked like a typical thermometer 'cept it had a plastic type shroud, but still weighed maybe an ounce...anybody know where I might buy one?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I did a quick search on Google for "high-low + thermometer" and found this. There aren't any dimensions or weight specs, but at least it's weatherproof and floats!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Default thanks Kerosene

I found the same thermometer when I did yahoo but it seems like that one needs to be immersed into liquid (alcohol)....you know the type I am looking for, probably isnt made anymore since the digital revolution. I will keep hunting and probably will go digital if I have too.

Scoutstuff.org
    key ring thermometer, 1/3oz, $10

Images

Default thanks Redbeard but....

The Scout key ring thermometer looks good but I am looking for a Min/Max therm. so when I wake up frozen in the hammock I can know how cold it got...
    I like the concept of the I-button but I dont want to wait until I get home to upload the info to the PC to find out just how cold it got.

Er, yeah, okay, didn't read that one all the way!
    All the high/low therm's I found were fairly bulky, and tended to be for liquid use.

Images

Just a bit of experience from many nights of being on guard outside a lot, the coldest time is almost always about 30 minutes after sunrise. When I was in Germany I would test this often while stuck guarding the motor pool with a digital thermometer on my watch. So if you check the temp at about daybreak, that will give you the normal lowest temp. The idea of that thermometer sounds cool though. I saw a guy with one in 2001 on the trail at Carter Gap Shelter, He told me the low the next day which was a temperature that sounded warmer than it felt, but it always does to me anyway
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default more thoughts please Sgt Rock and others

So if you were to go digital which one would you get....one that you could reset before crawling into the sleeping bag and then check the minimum temp when you got up...
    I hate the thought of a digital one but hey I'm wearing a Suunto wrist computer, carrying a ham radio, and sometimes a PDA, so what's a little more silicon intrusion!
    Seriously, any brands/models any of you might suggest. This coming weekend we are going from Wyah Gap to Wesser and I gotta feeling its going to be cold!

Images

Default High / Low thermometer

Radio shack has a digital thermometer that records the inside and outside temp constantly and also the max and min for both locations. It is smaller than a cigarette pack and uses two AA batteries I believe. Another feature is an alarm, which you can set to turn on at a specific temperature. Mine doesn't have an on and off switch so you have to remove the batteries to conserve battery life. It has a 48 inch cable attached with the "outside" sensor. I don't remember the weight, but it wasn't very much. I have checked the temp outside versus the inside of my tent before and as most will tell you it ranged about 10* warmer inside.
    Uncle Wayne

++ New Posts ++