WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I hope the AT changes my life

Hello everyone! I'm in Hanover tonight and continuing SOBO tomorrow morning. I just spent some time reviewing each day I've been on the trail and where I ended up each night. While doing this, I was able to remember many moments from each day. I remembered meeting new people, playing in waterfalls, climbing mountains, watching the sun or moon, face planting, cursing the bugs or rain, enjoying trail magic, etc.

If I were to have tried this before I left for the AT, it wouldn't have been possible.

My challenge: Review the last 30 days of your life, one day at a time. For each day, remember something that made that day memorable. If you can't do it for EVERY DAY, change your life.

Seriously, I have wasted so much of my life. But I get to hike tomorrow, so I'm OK

Images

Congratulations Andrew - the AT experience is one of the few true "pilgimages" left in this world - where one can make it as close to a modern day vision quest as possible - should they so choose. Just remember that any of your life that you have "wasted" in the past has brought you to this moment .... The trail has a magic that plays on the concept that is the very first challenge to newbie thru-hikers should they know it or not - PERSPECTIVE !

What a great post. Thanks,
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

AF, I met you briefly at Sabbath Day Pond. Hope you don't change the way you buy think you buy too much food and give it away.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I would submit that the trail has already changed you, for the better no doubt. The moment of introspective contemplation you experienced, you said yourself it would not have been possible before the trail. Every step is progress. Imagine where your headspace will be in a month.

I failed your challenge though. It's all just a string of workdays. Thank you for reminding me to be aware of every moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    I would submit that the trail has already changed you, for the better no doubt. The moment of introspective contemplation you experienced, you said yourself it would not have been possible before the trail. Every step is progress. Imagine where your headspace will be in a month.

I failed your challenge though. It's all just a string of workdays. Thank you for reminding me to be aware of every moment.
    +1 Ditto YES, the you have changed and will continue to change as a result of what you're doing.

"My challenge: Review the last 30 days of your life, one day at a time. For each day, remember something that made that day memorable. If you can't do it for EVERY DAY, change your life." - Andrew Ferk

GREAT CHALLENGE! I did it for 7 consecutive July 4 ths noting I was in the wilderness or on a hike each of those July 4 ths doing something REALLY AWESOME. That's about as far as I could get. I can go back about 2 wks in any one month. Time to change. "Damn right get busy living or get busy dying" - Red. I understand the place where you're at. It's a place and state we are meant to live! - CONTINUALLY! Can't explain it fully enough to grasp it. You have to experience it to know it. Good for you Andrew. Since you jarred me into a higher level of awareness with your challenge you reaped the same back from me - Think about this! Your enlightenment has just begun!

There is a line I've always loved, seems to fit here.

The most accurate watch in the world only says one thing. NOW. It's never wrong, and you'll never be late.

Some deep things about singularity.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I strongly encourage you to go beyond reminiscing and actually document each day of your hike, including pictures of what you saw (including people, which I tend to forget). I've found that I frequently refer to specific days and events from each of my 20+ section hikes, and every so often I try to recount each day of some section hike.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

You last posted about month ago I guess, I was wondering how you were doing on your hike. Glad to hear you're enjoying your time.
    We are all one big human family.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Cool post. My last 30 days included a thru of the JMT, so I'll have fond memories for quite a while.

Good luck and enjoy the rest of your hike.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Hadn't really thought about the point of your post previously but I could remember almost every night of the 98 nights on the PCT during my thru hike. What is even cooler is that two years later I can still remember most of them as well as key points during the day. I doubt I could even do a week in the real world. Great observation.

Having spent a significant number of years of my life hiking and living in the woods, it's all kind of a blurr to me. I may not remember too many specific details, but I do know I had a good time. Kinda like the 70's in general...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Your post resonates with me Mr. Ferk. The trail is like a reset button for me. I wish that I could complete your challenge but like so many folks, the days off-trail just kind of bleed together. I know I can't remember specifics but I know I've thought about hiking every day for the last 30 days (and beyond!). That would be the common consistency and the one thing that stands out to me every day--that every day I think about doing what you are doing and what it will be like when I am ready for my own pilgrimage.
    Best of luck to you!

the AT in and of itself will not change you life...change comes from within, not from without. If you want change it's easy to do, change the way you think. and, by the way, enjoy your hike....the AT is a gift and to walk it is a blessing.

Images

The most accurate watch in the world only says one thing. NOW. It's never wrong, and you'll never be late.

awesome, love that!
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    the AT in and of itself will not change you life...change comes from within, not from without. If you want change it's easy to do, change the way you think. and, by the way, enjoy your hike....the AT is a gift and to walk it is a blessing.
    I agree. Maybe I should have said, "I hope I change my life after the AT." Though, I'm not sure how easy it is to change the way you think. But now that I've actually experienced another way, maybe it will be easy (or easier).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Fives - SOBO 2013

I took my watch off today because of this post. Hopefully it will be a continuous reminder to live now. Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Fives - SOBO 2013

++ New Posts ++