WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Catskill Mountains shuttle?

I'm looking to backpack the Burroughs Range and Giant Ledge in the Catskill Mts of New York this weekend. Anybody have info about shuttle drivers in the vicinity of Phoencia, NY?

Thanks!
    Click!
    AT Nobo 2011

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

That's a tough one. New York Trailways will get you into Phoenicia, but it's a long walk down to Woodland Valley. If I recall correctly, the Route 28 bus goes up to Pine Hill and Fleischmanns, so you might be able to get the driver to drop you in Shandaken, hike in over Panther and then depend on getting a hitch out from Woodland Valley or th Slide Mountain trailhead at the end. The hike over Panther is a long walk but at least it's a nice hike. If you can get to Woodland Valley, a thru-hiker should have very little trouble yogi-ing a lift back out on a summer weekend. The only access road to the campground goes through Phoenicia. It's also pretty easy to get a lift out to 28 from either the Slide Mountain or Giant's Ledge trailhead, those are really popular spots.

The only car service that I know of in the southern Cats is Misty Mountain Town Car in Mount Tremper - and they're mostly "airport limo" service plus weddings and the like, although I suppose it couldn't hurt to give them a call. There's also Smiley's Transport in Tannersville, but I don't know if they do runs off the Route 23A corridor (Palenville, Tannersville, Haines Falls, Hunter...) I know people that have used Smiley's for the Devil's Path, the Escarpment and the Blackheads.

I'd ask on catskillmountaineer.com as well, they might know someone.

I'd shuttle you myself, just so that I could have a hiking partner (assuming you could tolerate a snail like me!) but I'm busy this weekend and next. I'd like to do that loop. Somehow I've managed to miss doing Cornell Mountain so far. That chimney near the top looks like a fun scramble.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++