WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Climb to Katahdin

Thru hiked last year (Suds)

I just watched The Climb to Katahdin

It just BLEW ME AWAY. I loved every second.

As I just told Spiral .....I laughed, I cried, I smiled, I screamed, I jumped, I cried, I mourned, I reflected, I laughed, I smiled, I screamed and shouted, I cried again and **** me I loved it!

check out their facebook page and click like, because they just don't have enough for how good this is!

https://www.facebook.com/TheClimbToKatahdin?fref=ts

Damn! that was AT post-trail catharsis in 90 minutes! SOOOO amazing to see my summit photo at the end too

Got to see Spiral and his film in Gainesville the other night, really REALLY enjoyed it. Gave you a good sense of being out on the Trail. Hard to fit that much of an adventure into a film, but there was plenty of the beautiful scenery, memorable spots, wildlife moments, hardships endured, funny happenings, and of course all the great people out there. "Blue Sky" 2012

Images

Looking forward to the showing in Morgantown!
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

Wow. Thanks for posting. I didn't know about this movie. I'm going to check it out.

This is my favorite AT movie by far!
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Default worth watching - but not great

I saw this movie and was not impressed. It is worth watching, and has some unique views. I especially liked dog cam - with the dogs eye view of the trail. I liked that he tried to show some of the hardships on the trail. Some documentaries try to show just the glamorous side. He shows the good times and the bad. He was honest about not hiking the entire trail, admitting that he skipped large sections and several states. His skills at creating a movie greatly improved as he got more experience. Toward the end it was much better.

I think the part that turned me off the most was the whole time I got the impression that his motivation for being there was to star in a movie - not the trail experience. In a question and answer session after the movie he was asked if he had any plans to hike the CDT or the PCT and his answer was "If this movie does well I might consider doing another".

Stacy,
    With complete respect to your opinion and comment, I feel I must make a brief defense in reference to my answer about hiking another trail. I understand that my statement came off as "I'll do it for movie and profit's sake"'ish, but that's not the case. Just know how much of my life has been poured into the hike and the film that came out of it. I've never been more poor in my life than when editing The Climb to Katahdin. I'm still barely getting by. But I wanted to make a film as wholesome, honest, and quickly as I could without compromising quality. That being said and given that I am soon to be married and must start taking on the next step of my adult life, financially I'm not prepared to give EVERYTHING I've got to saving up to hike another trail, filming, editing, and pushing the film all by myself. Hence the "If this film does well..." remark. Imagine if one could hike/film a trail, inspire and encourage others AND make enough to hike the next one. That's a perfect world, right? You'd do the same... right? Perhaps I could have explained that better in the Q&A and I feel like I did in a few of them.

Few things would make me happier than to hike another trail with or without a film to come out of it. I was just trying to be realistic at this stage in my life. Nevertheless, I'm glad you enjoyed the film to whatever extent you enjoyed it.

Oh, and one more thing. I really didn't(and still don't) want to star in a movie. I'm the editor. Always have been. I hate editing my face, my voice, and a lot of the dumb things that I do. However, to be true to the adventure we had, my abundant presence was necessary.

Is there a way to watch it or do you have to wait for a tour date to be close enough to you and catch a screening?

I'm wondering the same thing^

Images

I'm not finding anyplace to stream and/or purchase. I'm sure they will come out with the dvd soon.

Default Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Subie Love View Post
    I'm not finding anyplace to stream and/or purchase. I'm sure they will come out with the dvd soon.

Hey guys, the film should be available by no later than early March 2014. I was hoping to get it out well before the thick of the start of thruhiking season, however, these things never go quite as planned. I look forward to getting it out there to everyone. Like us on Facebook where all the updates happen. The Climb to Katahdin

Liked on Facebook.

I can't wait to see it!

++ New Posts ++