WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 100 mile loop from springer?

Hello all,

I'm trying to sneak away from the heat of Tampa in a few weeks for a 7-day walk in the N. Ga mountains. Earlier this year, in mid Apr, I did a section hike from Springer to the NOC (wonderful time.....Hi Poppins!) and thought I would try a section of the BMT this time or perhaps a combination of trails...

My plan is to drive up from Fl, park the truck and stay a night at the Hiker Hostel for a shuttle to Springer the next morning. Originally I had planned on walking the BMT to the Thunder Rock Campground where I would then find my way back to the HH to pick up my truck.

Now I'm wondering if there isn't a 100 mile (+/-) loop that I might be able to walk instead, e.g. start and end at Springer or somewhere else in the area?

Any suggestions? I'd like to walk the BMT but I'm not strictly wed to that plan.

Thanks in advance.

Weather-man

El Sordo
    Images

not sure about the mileage, but you could park at Fontana and hike clockwise north to Davenport Gap and then return to Fontana via the BMT. Or counterclockwise.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    not sure about the mileage, but you could park at Fontana and hike clockwise north to Davenport Gap and then return to Fontana via the BMT. Or counterclockwise.

Gene, thanks. You actually have me thinking now....maybe just pick back up at the NOC and walk through the Smokies...? I did want to do a piece of the BMT from Springer but that may be a bridge too far for this trip.

Side question....are you the same Gene Roll that runs the shuttle in Hiawasse? If so, you and I spoke 3 separate times in April and May. Each time I called you for a ride you politely listened to what I was trying accomplish and then you suggested a more efficient/ cheaper solution for me. It went along the line of "Sure I can give you a ride to XXXX but this guy does that all the time and he can do it cheaper for you..." or words to the effect. I really got a kick out that. It's refreshing to find that kind of honesty in today's world.

Quote Originally Posted by generoll:1520928
    That is about 180 miles

100 m loop in or including GSMNP provide oodles of possibilities.

Looking at plan "B"....I spoke with Curtis at Standing Bear farm ref a shuttle. What I'm researching right now is driving up to SB farm, parking the truck and then getting shuttled to the BMT trail head down by Fontana. Walk from there back to the truck.

It looks like the BMT crosses 441 just north of Cherokee and I'l most likely emplace a food cache in that area as I drive up. Start date has been pushed until about 21 Sep which is nice as I'm hoping for cooler weather. This summer here in Tampa has been miserable....

Thanks all.

++ New Posts ++