WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Tarp/Tent For Thru Hike

Im looking to purchase a tarp/tent from my upcoming 2014 AT hike. I have put a lot of research into tarps/tents and am struggling to make my final decision.
    This will be my first jump to tarp camping so id love to hear some opinions from people who have been using these for a while.
    I have narrowed down my search alot and I am pretty certain i will be purchasing the MLD Duomid Cuben Tent with the solo innernet.
    What are peoples opinions of this tarp setup for the AT?
    What other tarps/tents do you guys recommend?

I plan on tarping it everynight except if extreme weather brings me into a shelter.

zpacks heximid twin... i beleive its the finest AT shelter on the market.

Images

Why the duo with the solo inner?

If I were hiking the AT in normal season NoBo, I would take the solomid with bivy like MLDs super light. When bugs hit then a would switch out to the solo inner. Caveat.... I only setup a tarp if its going to rain. The bivy allows you to throw down and instantly setup camp. The bug inner is basically a heavy ground sheet when the bugs are under control.

as far as zpack vs. MLD. I like the setup of the solomid better but having said that, I would replace the solomid with the heximid if it were given to me.

I was looking at 2 person tents for added space and because after through hike i will be using with the wife.

How quickly does the heximid twin setup?

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

+1 used the twin to thru hike this year. No problems in any climate. We slept in it about 80% of the time. I expect it to have enough life left last through the PCT as well.

set up on the heximid is super simple. my ten year old can do it by himself after watching me a few dozen times. really cant get any simpler. this tent truely is THAT good. joe hit a grandslam with this one. 19oz for a two person with the stakes and stuff sack. lot of cash but worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Wmwood2001 View Post
    I was looking at 2 person tents for added space and because after through hike i will be using with the wife.

How quickly does the heximid twin setup?
    Probably after a thru hike you will be in need of new gear. I wont worry too much about what you might do once you hike 2200miles.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Probably after a thru hike you will be in need of new gear. I wont worry too much about what you might do once you hike 2200miles.
    That might be true. But I am super careful at all times. I expect it to last beyond.

I think the Tarptent Notch is the best all-around shelter for a thru-hike
    - double wall tent
    - netting can be used in shelters
    - can use just tarp

Plus it's under $300 and 27-28 ounces

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    - double wall tent
    - can use just tarp

Agree. After owning and using all sorts of tents and tarptents, the Notch seems to be a keeper for me. That's not to say it's "perfect", but I think it's the best for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    zpacks heximid twin... i beleive its the finest AT shelter on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Morocco View Post
    +1 used the twin to thru hike this year. No problems in any climate. We slept in it about 80% of the time. I expect it to have enough life left last through the PCT as well.
    I can attest to the condition of Zippy's heximid twin. I met Zippy and Diddo at Little Wilson Falls near the end of their thru. It looked brand new. They dropped their packs and Zippy was done setting it up before Diddo had supper ready. Looked like a great setup. I was a little more than jealous of all their lightweight gear.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

What about the Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform SW - 1 Person? Only 19.5 oz. Haven't used myself, but heard good things.
    http://www.yamamountaingear.com/cirriform-sw-1p/

Images

I'm a fan of the hexamid solo. Planning on picking up another in a few days. With the extended beak, it has very few if any downfalls.

Quote Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
    What about the Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform SW - 1 Person? Only 19.5 oz. Haven't used myself, but heard good things.
    http://www.yamamountaingear.com/cirriform-sw-1p/
    Great shelter but front entry, too restrictive IMO

Images

I used a Tarp Tent Contrail for my 1,000 + mi. 28 oz. complete with stakes-enough room for all my gear inside-only $200--The TT Notch seems to better replacement for this, and can be used as a stand-alone tarp-TARPTENT.COM--I have also used the Wild Oasis Tarp---but the condensation I found to be unacceptable--after a three day rain storm, it was like it was raining inside my on my sleeping bag....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Haven't used many tents but ill give a +1 on the contrail.

Garlic
    Images

I'll agree on the Contrail. So far mine has lasted six seasons, several long hikes (about 7,500 trail miles) in several different climates from the AT to SW desert to the Pacific NW, and about 5,000 road miles on bicycle trips. The good things about it are its rugged simplicity, only four stake points and one pole, floor and netting included in its 24 oz weight, and low price (way under $1 per night so far). The only con I've found is a longish learning curve for a perfect pitch, but not too bad. Not surprisingly, mine is about worn out and I'm glad it's still available. This is one good design from Tarptent. Other new Tarptent models look tempting, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I ordered a Notch this week. I'll post or blog a review once I have the seams sealed and I've spent a few nights in it. It'll be my first tent that's anywhere near that lightweight.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    - double wall tent
    - can use just tarp

+1..............................

There are many good choices out there, some already mentioned. IMO, you really cannot go wrong with the offerings from Tarptent, Zpacks, MLD, and Lightheart.

If I were forced to choose today, I would likely go with the Tarptent Squall 2 for the combination of light weight, spaciousness, and price. That's the Contrail's big brother, lol.

P.S. I should add SMD to this list.
    Last edited by jeffmeh; 08-31-2013 at 09:58.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++