WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Images

if i go to disconnect the first thing i avoid is shelters. there have been inconsiderate people in shelters since the '70's (for me). nothing new.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    And yet........the thread lives on and on and........................................
    Throw hikers have stamina.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Throw hikers have stamina.
    yes, most have been throw a lot!
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    And yet........the thread lives on and on and........................................

The OP has a lot in common with the glory-seekers who appear on WB every year. First they ask about doing an AT thru-hike--from where they sit, it seems like a daring and novel thing to do. They'll be famous! People will admire them! No one they know has ever done such a thing. They're risking their lives!

Have these people ever hiked before? No. Are they motivated by love of hiking and the outdoors? No. They have zero experience with it. It's a romantic fantasy.

Then they realize that there are lots of hikers and would-be hikers here. Uh oh. Merely announcing on WB that you're going to thru-hike doesn't bring gasps of admiration from the crowd--the best it will garner is some good luck wishes. The more self-important the announcement, the more it is greeted with skepticism. The glory-seeker encounters, virtually, dozens and dozens of people who have been there, done that, and more.

Hmmm. Well if that won't impress them... The fantasy grows and morphs into something that will impress this jaded crowd--a hike in less than 30 days; a live-off-the-land hike...whatever.

Unfortunately, to most of us it just seems sad.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Like Theosus said, if you would like to be alone with your thoughts try hiking North to South. I hiked from Peekskill NY to Duncannon PA without seeing the same hiker twice. With most people headed north, you pass them and maybe camp with them for a night and then they're gone.

Personally I would have preferred to travel with the pack as opposed to being by myself had circumstances been optimal at the time, but that's just me.

Hike your own hike and don't worry about what everyone else is doing, or why they're doing it and you'll be fine.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

One who will throw in the towel before one starts, may as well just throw out the baby with the bathwater. Throw thick and thin, a throw hiker will be better company, throw down more humor, wisdom, and general goodness, than any permanently self styled, angst ridden throw out. I'm threw.

I'm throworoughly against throw hikers myself. One time, after hiking throw a long and grueling day on the AT near Pearisburg, we arrived at our camp site to encounter a throworoughly obnoxious bunch of students from Blacksburg who were throwing down & throwing up simultaneously.Not to mention throwing gear all over the ground, and throwing beer bottles all over the camping area. I felt like throwing a fit but threw in my lot with the rest of the group who were throw for the day and wanted to stop. That night, we did not actually talk to the miscreants but I'm pretty sure they were throw hikers.
    Last edited by Train Wreck; 09-27-2013 at 17:27.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Train Wreck: How do you manage to tell a story that long without getting a sore throwt?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    OMG...Sounds like another lost sole. These are the type of thru-hikers we are looking for. It will give the other thru-hikers another guy to talk about.
    I lost my sole once on the AT. It took duct tape for me to hold it together.

This thread will never dye......... nor do I want it too.

Please remember it is their hike not yours! Most of usYahoos love the trail and the many different folks we interact with. It’s not theYahoos but the Entitled Yahoos I have a problem with. My family picked up andcarried down two large bags of trash from Preachers Rock this past Saturday. Someof the trash was very fresh and must have belonged to the three college age EntitledYahoos we passed on their descent. I guess their mothers were not there to clean up after them.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    If you don't want to dye the thread, you can purchase pre-dyed thread from any fabric store. I don't want to dye the thread either.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    I too prefer undyed threads..... so natural!

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The OP posted this and hasn't been back to the site since. He really isn't interested in any of these 105 replies.
    Still hasn't been back. Up to 153 unread replies.

Still hasn't been back. Up to 153 unread replies.
    Probably lurkin' and jurkin' admiring his creation.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries

ekih,
    Get over yourself!
    Man, are you a p-ssed off individual!
    Sounds to me like you need a hug, real bad....
    Don't write off the trail until you've at least attempted it
    Hey, there are many, many wonderful folk out there
    And who knows, you might just have a good time!
    If you want tranquility, realize that the trail thins out considerably after Virginia as most of the hikers fade out
    Good luck with your future hikes, it's a big wide world out there...

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

The OP posted this and hasn't been back to the site since. He really isn't interested in any of these 105 replies.
    He's probably sitting somewhere reading the thread, like a king on the throwne, and wondering why we find him so hilarious.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++