WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another Foothills Thread

Planning an TRSP to OSP in mid September (if my vocation allows). For those familiar with the trail specifics:

1) Is there an AC outlet in or outside the restrooms @ Whitewater Falls to recharge a cell phone?
    2) Are there trash canisters @:
    • Chimneytop Gap?
    • (I think I've seen a picture of the Whitewater Falls Overlook area that include trash bins)
    • Sloan Bridge?
    • Fish Hatchery?
    • Burrells Ford?

Thanks!

WOW. Down to asking questions about electrical outlets and garbage cans. WOW!

Images

I hiked the Foothills Trail (and spur) in three sections a couple of years ago. I don't even remember restrooms at Whitewater Falls (I assume you mean the Upper falls and not the Lower falls?), though I seem to remember some trash cans at Burrells Ford, but would hate to steer you wrong.

I believe in going straight to the horse's mouth, so will recommend you ask the actual authorities at http://www.foothillstrail.org/.

Have a great hike!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

there are restrooms and trash cans at the whitewater falls parking lot
    it would make sense that there would be trash cans at fish hatchery and burrells ford, but not the other places you list. i neither affirm nor deny this though
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

There are trashcans in the Burrells Ford campground and I am pretty sure in the parking area where the trail crosses. Sloan Bridge has picnic tables so I think there would be trashcans also.

Thanks all!

Their is trash cans at Sloan Bridge which also has a nice restroom, a great water source and also some great campsites but NO electrical outlets. sorry

Rain Man, do you really think the FT site is going to mention specific trash can and electrical outlet locations on the FT?

I know some may think it a petty question/post. Perhaps they're right. However; I have had, on two occasions, juvenile raccoon attempt to climb out onto my suspension strap (hammock) in the middle of the night to "investigate" my pack (suspended under my tarp). I hang my food and trash away from camp but I'd bet the scent of open foil packets and other foodstuff discards remain. The more frequent I can part with the offending items the better.

With respect to AC source for charging: I am very fortunate to be able to (mostly) steal a week away from my professional and family responsibilities. I will, from time to time along the way, have to return calls to clients or get a play-by-play report on my kids' athletics. Knowing that I am 2 days or 4 days between charges is pretty useful information. Sounds like there are no recharging opportunities en-route.

Thanks to all who helped.
    T-

Damifino, i didn't mean to sound like an a hole. I figured those were the reasons why you asked your original question. I have some ideas for ya to add to what's already been stated. First, understand your hike is only about 76 miles. It's in Sept. You're not going to be on the trail that long and thus create much trash. Some of it can be burned TOTALLY in a campfire. You'll have a few opps to get rid of the rest in a few locations. I do think Upper Whitewater has garbage cans as well as the Lower Whitewater Overlook(there's a deck) side trail parking lot, Sloan Bridge, possibly Sassafras Mt summit, Burrell's Ford campground, Bad Crk access, and a dumpster or trash can at the hatchery. And of course there's garbage cans both at TR and O SPs. ALSO, raccoons aren't a major problem on the FT! You'll prolly see more turkeys, foxes, a few whitetail deer, perhaps a bear or some hogs.

Electrical outlets can be found out your starting trailhead in the SPs. Make sure you're fully charged up before embarking on your hike. You might find an electrical outlet at Sloan Bridge, the hatchery, and Bad Cr access. Long shots would be at Upper Whitewater Falls parking area.

Carry a fully charged spare battery if you have to and put your trash in Zip Locks and burn what you can at your campfires. Problems solved.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Dogwood, no worries, thanks. 76 miles is about all I can manage (in a few ways). With the travel time from and back to FL the trip will pretty much burn a week. Pretty stoked about it actually. Got some new gear to try out (40 degree top quilt, new pack) - doesn't get any better.

I'm not going to bother packing a charger. If I can pick up a spare battery for cheap, that'll do.

Funny, I don't recall ever having a campfire when hiking. Car-camping with the family, it's a requirement. I might do a campfire this time. Pretty much everything I discard is burnable. The smoke will probably help the mosquitoes down too. Are they an issue on the FH trail in Sept?

The "designated campsites" here on the FL Trail are no more than a post in the ground with a sign that says "campsite". There is nowhere comfortable to sit (by a fire) so I generally just find any place to camp that looks about right at about the right time and hang out in my hammock until it cools down enough to sleep.

I would have the FT map that the FTAssc. puts out. Their guidebook is helpful if you want to take an alternate or go off on a few of the blue blazed side trails to overlooks(WELL worth it!), TH access pts, waterfalls(don't miss these, the FT is know for it's abundant waterfalls), etc. On the map are indicated campsites and the book notes them as well but you'll find at least as many LNT undesignated campsites or possible campsites that aren't noted. The FT is perfect for hammocking! IDEAL! Buying these reasonably priced materials not only helps with planning the hike and while on trail but also helps supports the trail. You can purchase these materials in various stores in the SC/southern NC Gear Stores/Outfitters or through the FTA website.

I've thru-hiked the FT twice but in late Fall and Winter, so can't say for sure about the mosquitos in Sept, but I've never experienced them in the SC Piedmont/Upcountry to the degree as I have in FL. Just a guess, but they shouldn't be a huge problem in Sept. I used to live in Tampa(Temple Terrace), Punta Gorda, and Ft Myers. You're near Clearwater if I recall.

Yep, Clearwater is about 8 miles South of me.

I have both the map and trail guide; might have them memorized at this point. I guess planning a trip is half of the excitement.

I'll probably do a short one-niter Florida Trail thing this weekend. It's still pretty hot here tho.

Images

The trash cans are at White Water Falls parking lot, Sloan's Bridge picnic area and Burrell's ford. All of those are within about 10 miles of each other. There is a campsite for the caretaker at Whitewater falls it should have a charger but there's no public camping there. If you camp at Sloan's Bridge better be stealthy.. not supposed to camp there but I have. Water is super plentiful this year so you should see lots of falls. Someone said something about skeeters? Why would there be skeeters it's going to be in the 80's I live 20 min from both ends...
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Default Another Foothills Thread

Not sure about the outlet but I remember the trash cans and restrooms at white water. I love that trail, have fun.

Picked up a battery w/ USB cord today. Not sure if its worth the extra weight. I'll decide when I get it all packed. There are a few optional items on the list that may get 86ed.

MikeinSalem - I have a campsite noted between Sloan Bridge and Upper falls @ about the state line. I know there is no camping along the WW river. Does the no-camping zone extend to Sloan?

Does the no-camping zone extend to Sloan?

NO.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikenSalem View Post
    ... If you camp at Sloan's Bridge better be stealthy.. not supposed to camp there but I have....
    Not to be picky, but discussions of committing illegal acts violate the WB User Agreement--

4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts ... are forbidden.
    Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++