WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The frigid pond near the Hertlein Campsite

There's a little dammed-up creek near Route 183 in Pennsylvania -- it's labeled as Hertlein Campsite (I believe) on the AT Map. The water here is decidely chilly, but it's perfect for these humid 90+ degree days in Central PA. The campsite beside the pond is also fairly nice, although it's much-abused by local partiers; there's a lot of garbage here.

Well worth a stop (and a dive!) on your way along Blue Mountain!

Images

Been there several times. Unfortunately once was in early spring and it was a bit too cool and wet to swim. Another time was a hot mid-august afternoon - I was dayhiking and it was my turnaround point. I had savored the thought of a cool dip before my return, but when I got there, the place was overrun by a couple of dozen scouts all screaming and running around (so much for low impact), so I just made my turn and headed back.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

There's a boy scout camp just below it. (at least it used to be owned by the scouts, i don't know if it still is) It's a beautiful spot when cleaned up and no one there. Also the campsite above (near the spring) is a great one. I used to go winter camping there a lot. I grew up about 5 miles away.

My family and I love to camp at Hertline. It's just a short hike in from the 501 shelter. My daughter loves to swing out on the rope swing and drop into the pond.

The campsite is often crowded, but it's big enough that you can usually find a quiet spot.

Property below dam is no longer Scout property. It all private since 1977, the new Scout camp is on the north side near 183 and is about 700 acres. Went past the dam today, It's filled with weekend warriors because of the holiday.

Just got back from a stay at the camp. Very nice, we had the whole place to ourselves, as noted above theres alot of trash around, what a shame. Two picinc tables have been placed here, this was a pleasent surprise.

Images

Default Historical Info

The dam referred to is what remains of the former Blue Mountain Electric Company, an early venture in hydroelectric power generation that operated if I remember correctly for about 10 years from just after WWI to the late 1920s when it was acquired by Metropolitan Edison.

Sometime I will post much more information on this topic.

Images

Default Swimming and a water source that never fails

Most northbound thru-hikers pass through Schubert's Gap in late June through the end of July. While it is often hot and dry already by that time of year, water is always available year-round here as is an opportunity to cool off.

Southbounders arrive later of course when it is often drier and hotter still. This opportunity is perhaps even more valuable to them.

I'm not sure how many hikers take advantage of this opportunity, but it should not be missed.
    Last edited by emerald; 09-24-2006 at 18:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    The dam referred to is what remains of the former Blue Mountain Electric Company, an early venture in hydroelectric power generation that operated if I remember correctly for about 10 years from just after WWI to the late 1920s when it was acquired by Metropolitan Edison.

Sometime I will post much more information on this topic.
    I would be interested in more info if you can post it or email it, Thanks

Images

The A.T. corridor includes the dam itself but does not extend far beyond. Please do not venture beyond the dam and extend the same courtesy to those who own this land that yourself would likely expect and desire.

Images

Default One more request

This area is maintained by The Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club of Reading, Pennsylvania, a small club with limited resources celebrating its 90th anniversary this year. We are always looking for new members to join our organization and to help us in our efforts to care for the A.T.

Anything carried into this site and left behind must be packed out by volunteers who have many other things they would rather do with their time than clean up after others who are perfectly capable of carrying out what they carry in. If everyone would do their part, this site would always be clean and inviting to the next visitors.

When I was a Boy Scout many years ago, we were taught to always leave our campsite in a condition better than we found it and we did so without exception. I believe this idea is at least as good now as it was in the early 1970s.

This is one of the first places if not the first I set foot on the A.T. and I have many fond memories of the former Camp Shikellamy and this spot.
    Last edited by emerald; 09-24-2006 at 18:09.

We still teach those values in the Boy Scouts today, it's sad that not everyone respects that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zr700 View Post
    We still teach those values in the Boy Scouts today, it's sad that not everyone respects that.
    Pleased to hear that and thanks for helping to raise better young men.

I just sent you a PM.

Is there still a big deserted 8 person tent set up here?

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    Is there still a big deserted 8 person tent set up here?
    No I didn't see it. We found lots of trash, a skillet, 2 spoons, and a hotdog fork. Also a 2ft dia used toilet paper pile, on the trail where it goes throug camp, must have been a whole roll.

Ahh yes my favorite local camping spot on the AT!!!!!! As an eagle scout myself I have made several trips there through the years. My troop also has done several community service projects here by cleaning up trash as we too have instill "leave no trace" and leaving a site better than you found it. I will be at this location next weekend enjoy some vacation from the military life style!!! I am always excited toenter this location the sound of te streams and rope swing the lovely camping spot next to the pond I call the island (even though this camping spot is normally already taken when I arrive. I love this spot and I hope to continue to camp here everytime I do a local AT hike!!!

jumped in that pond on a 90 degree day in august. It actually took my breath away. The coldest water i've ever been in.

++ New Posts ++