WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default UL Digital Camera Recommendations

I'm an UL backpacker and I've never believed in carrying a digital camera for backpacking. To save on weight I usually just use the camera on my cellphones but I've decided that I want to start using a stickpic for capturing videos during my hikes and on my thru hike attempt in 2014. Im looking for recommendations for a point and shoot camera with good video capabilities and a good battery life. All I've ever had experience with are the Sony Cyber shot cameras and I can't stand the fact that I can only get about 200 pictures I between charges or about 50 mins of video time so battery life is critical. I usually carry a powerbank with me for charging my cellphone and blackdiamond head lamp so I could also use it to extend the life of the camera I buy. Open to suggestions.

I would say look I to a camcorder rather than a camera. Camcorders use different technology for video, than do cameras. The result is much more video time on less battery.

This is about all I know on the subject and I'm sure there are more informed experts out there who will chime in.

Journal Entries

I use a Nikon AW100 - Water proof, shock proof, 16 MP, 5 power Telescope, etc.. Newest model is AW110: http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikon...ctID.275297900

If you would like to keep using you cell phone, a mount is available that will screw to the Stick-Pic. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retractable-...item2a301e5de7

Happy Trails
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Shonryu, I bought the Sony Cybershot DSC-TX20 (yes I'm a big Sony fan) it is waterproof to 16 ft., 16.2 mega pic, HD video the quality is unbelievable. I have used the same battery for two days. I do carry two extra batteries (amazon 10 apiece) plus and extra card just in case. Camera has more features like timer, panorama,3D shooting, plus a ton more. It keeps all pics in a folder for the day it was taken makes it easier when uploading. Very lite I hang it from Carabineer clip on my chest strap while hiking. So it is right there. I love it. I use it more the my SLR. http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Cyber-s...en/p/DSCTX20/G . A side note if you do not have a stick pic for your hiking poles, I suggest getting one so you can take self pics. best $14 I spent. I used it to take the pic in my profile.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by DeerPath View Post
    I use a Nikon AW100 - Water proof, shock proof, 16 MP, 5 power Telescope, etc.. Newest model is AW110: http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikon...ctID.275297900
    +1, absolutely, love mine. Durable, light, great quality. I leave the Stickpic screwed in all the time, use an s-biner to attach to some handy place where I can easily reach it. I am both a newb at backpacking and an amateur at pics and videos. Not to bore you, but shot all of this with it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaEMU...ature=youtu.be

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    +1, absolutely, love mine. Durable, light, great quality. I leave the Stickpic screwed in all the time, use an s-biner to attach to some handy place where I can easily reach it. I am both a newb at backpacking and an amateur at pics and videos. Not to bore you, but shot all of this with it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaEMU...ature=youtu.be
    Sorry--it's of note, I didn't have to charge it on that trip.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

I'm a UL backpacker also. If you have a good cellphone camera, thats still going to be your best bet, especially if all you are looking for is decent quality still shots for the photo album and basic video stuff in good light. I use mine with a stickpick (homemade) using an adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cell-Phone-i...item35ca376ada

Modern cellphones have surpisingly good quality for both still pics and video, and they are your lightest option. Most people that see my video logs and such from hikes ask if I am using a GoPro, as the shots look very "GoPro like". But they are limited, especially in low light because of their small sensor. That being said, I am a video enthusiast as well and I want to get good quality footage but my $4000 video camera is far too heavy to backpack with. After doing a lot of research regarding quality vs. weight, I picked up a Sony NEX-5 for its large sensor, interchangeable lenses, and semi-decent manual control set. It can produce DSLR quality still pics and video at 1/4 the weight of some of the DSLR systems out there. The penalty is about 1 lb with lens, battery, and charging cable. It works on my Gorillapod mini and I bought a few extra batteries as well. Even with the camera weight, my base weight is still under 10 lbs. Just another option should you decide to step up to something a little more serious than a cell phone or point & shoot.

Thanks for the recommendations. I like the idea of being able to use my phone with a stick pick and so I purchased both of the attachments that were referenced on here from ebay. I go on my week long section hike in about 3 weeks so I hope they get here in time to experiment. I have an S3 and I'm upgrade eligible in Oct so ill probably upgrade to a S4 since they are 13MP. Also while looking up info on the adaptors that were mentioned I found a company that makes a case called a Kraken AM. They have attachments that you can use on the case and one is for a 1/4 camera mount. I also like the idea of this because it an all in one system so I bought the case and mount incase the ones I ordered from ebay don't come in on time for my hike. Ill see how the cellphone camera option works. If I'm not getting what I'm looking for the Nikon seems like a great option.

I'm an ex professional photographer and my friends are still in the biz. We recently went to Scotland together and one of us had the S4. The images captured with that thing were blowing my mind. 12mp but the files are also being saved at a very large size. Color processing was killer. Zoom was great for close up detailed shots of stones and whatnot. Plus it stores on memory cards. Should be perfect. Still a cell phone but pretty awesome.

One thing, due to non camera related issues my friend has gone thru 3 S4's. she says the images are not as good as with the first phone she had. Not sure what that's about but thought I'd pass it along.

Here's a couple images from the trip taken with the S4. Not sure what the file size is and compression through texting but here ya go.

Panoramic:

Shonryu,
    You will get conflicting opinions on just how long a battery last.
    There is a standard that manufacturers use so that you can compare one camera with the next.
    Just Google the camera make and model with Cipa and Battery .
    So for example Google " Nikon AW100 CIPA battery"
    (250 photos ...)
    There is no standard for battery performance recording video on a still camera but the still std will give you an indication.
    50 min of video on a still camera is in fact pretty good...

A more versatile version of the stick pick (but still smallish and light) is the Ultra Pod.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I like the idea of being able to use my phone with a stick pick and so I purchased both of the attachments that were referenced on here from ebay. I go on my week long section hike in about 3 weeks so I hope they get here in time to experiment. I have an S3 and I'm upgrade eligible in Oct so ill probably upgrade to a S4 since they are 13MP. Also while looking up info on the adaptors that were mentioned I found a company that makes a case called a Kraken AM. They have attachments that you can use on the case and one is for a 1/4 camera mount. I also like the idea of this because it an all in one system so I bought the case and mount incase the ones I ordered from ebay don't come in on time for my hike. Ill see how the cellphone camera option works. If I'm not getting what I'm looking for the Nikon seems like a great option.
    My wife has a Kraken case for her Note. It's a big case (but it is a BIG phone lol). The attachments they have are good quality - we've got a handlebar mount on her bike to use it as a bike computer, and we've got a suction cup mount in her car for GPS (try finding another good place to mount a Note in a Miata! )

I had a Nikon S3100. With a battery in it and a SD card, it weights 119 grams. Extra batteries are 17 grams. BUT it won't charge anymore - the USB won't recognize either way. The computer doesn't know anythings attached, and the camera doesn't know anything is attached and doesn't charge. I bought it ~18 months ago.

Now I'm looking at a Sony NEX or a Samsung NX - big sensor mirrorless. But the NEX-3 and NEX-5 are 270g without a lens. The NEX-6 is 345g, minus lens. The NEX-7 is over 300g. The NX-1000 and NX-2000 are 220g, no lens. The NX-300 is 280g, no lens.

I was able to talk my cellphone provider into letting me upgrade early today so my S4 should be here in a couple of days. Got a Kraken case for it and the camera mount attachment. Ordered a 32G micro SD card and a 11000mah powerbank that comes in at 8.2oz. Based on my thinking the powerbank pulls double duty for charging my phone/ camera and my headlamp. I should be able to get about 5 full charges on it. So for about the same weight as a digital camera I shouldn't have an issue with battery life and a back up way of charging my headlamp when needed.

Images

Olympus TG Tough 320--Waterproof---1 MP-14 MP-720 Video-5.5 oz--UL Battery Charger + spare Battery 2.5 oz

a top end cell phone has multipurposes. Thats what I use. I have been looking closely at the GoPro. But they are like 500bucks so I have not pulled the trigger yet.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    a top end cell phone has multipurposes. Thats what I use. I have been looking closely at the GoPro. But they are like 500bucks so I have not pulled the trigger yet.
    Gopros are way cool but using one as your primary camera would be a mistake. It's just too wide of an angle and all of your shots will be more or less the same. Great B roll camera though...

Actually, I think there was a film at Sundance a year or so ago shot entirely with gopros. It would be interesting to see what they were doing

Cannon S100.

Gopro is listed on Amazon for the deluxe kit for $300 and the camera for $200. If I remember correctly. I checked the other day. Biggest drawback I saw was that its slighly over 5 mp for single shots. That seemed to be a real deal breaker with me since I can get 13mp with a galaxy S4 and still shot in HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    Gopro is listed on Amazon for the deluxe kit for $300 and the camera for $200. If I remember correctly. I checked the other day. Biggest drawback I saw was that its slighly over 5 mp for single shots. That seemed to be a real deal breaker with me since I can get 13mp with a galaxy S4 and still shot in HD.
    There are 3 models of the GoPro Hero 3: White, Silver, Black. MSRP is $200, $300, $400. Amazon's got them for $200, $250, $330.

The white one is the most basic. It's actually the 2nd gen Hero - 5MP super wide angle photos, 1080p 30fps video.
    The silver is a 3rd gen Hero: 11MP super wide angle, 1080p 30fps.
    The black one is what they advertise: 12MP super wide angle, 4K 12fps or 1080p 60fps.

All the Heros shoot at an equivalent to 15mm on a 35mm camera. That's, um, beyond wide angle into fisheye and super distortion range.

The Hero has a tiny sensor - 1/2.5" class (5.7 x 4.28 mm).
    The Galaxy S4 has almost the same sensor - 1/2.3" class.

If they have the same glass, the pictures will be similar - HOWEVER, everything out of a Hero will be distorted and super wide. The S4 is closer to normal.
    The S4 only shoots 1080p 30fps.

For comparison:
    The Nikon AW100 also has a 1/2.3" sensor, but a zoom lens
    The Canon S100 has a much bigger 1/1.7" sensor - it's almost twice as big.

I tried the Kraken set-up on my S4 with a stick pic. With the case and mount it kept causing my camera to stip around and fell off to many times. Decided to scrap the whole Kraken idea and set it back. Went out and got a Gopro Hero 3 Black and wasnt impressed. Im not a fan of the fish eye and when I compared it to my S4 videos I really didn't see what I was paying an extra $340 for that and its just clunky. Im starting to like the idea of using an action cam more than a camera for the protective casing, sizing, and weight. Anyone have any recomendations of a good one that they've used that shoots in 1089 and 60 FPS? I looked at the connor +2 but was told that they went out of business.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++