WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Road to Nowhere

Journal Entries

Default Road to Nowhere

We are thinking of doing a dayhike this weekend to visit the infamous tunnel and Road to Nowhere in the Smokies near Bryson City. Other than the tunnel, which might be a bit spooky or maybe a bit fun, what should we put on our to-do list for this trip?

Supposed to be warm and humid, is there maybe a place to get wet?

Is it better to do an out-and-back on the BMT, or try to put together some sort of loop with other trails?

Tubing in deep creek campground is a must. There are also 3 waterfalls in the area along the loop trail. You could also drive to Highlands. You will pass several waterfalls along the way.

Images

You can loop with a couple of the other trails just to see something different. But out and back is good. If you hike down to campsite 74 you have lake access and a creek.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joeydickerson View Post
    Tubing in deep creek campground is a must. There are also 3 waterfalls in the area along the loop trail. You could also drive to Highlands. You will pass several waterfalls along the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    You can loop with a couple of the other trails just to see something different. But out and back is good. If you hike down to campsite 74 you have lake access and a creek.
    Thank you gentlemen. This is helpful.
    Now if you could just send a breeze and a few clouds to shade us while we hike, that would be super!

Images

It should be shady down there, but you will want some breeze.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I'm going to explore this area sometime soon. I've been wanting to do it for some time now.

It was late 1 a.m. on a rainy sat morn when I went through the tunnel this past summer on a 500 mile AT/BMT Loop. Well, I almost went all the way through the tunnel. Just as I was exiting the far side it started really pouring. Decided to sleep in a dry spot inside the tunnel. Did you know the tunnel greatly amplifies sound? I could hear the first arriving tunnel tourists talking in the parking lot about 3/4 - 1 mile away. They didn't notice me in my stealthy tunnel mode sleeping bag on the tunnel floor until they were within 30 ft of me. Scared the crap out of them! They gave me a lift into Bryson for some tasty java and a breakfast burrito at MOUNTAIN PERKS though. Police Officer ran me back up to the tunnel an hr later. Great morning!

I have rode Horses through the tunnel not that big of a deal.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I thought it was damp, dank and nasty - it was pouring rain when I was there too.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I thought it was damp, dank and nasty - it was pouring rain when I was there too.
    It was for me too... mostly, but I found a dry relatively clean 10' x 10' area. I had all the graffiti to concentrate on reading anyhow. I even thought I heard whispering inside the tunnel too.... something to the affect warriors come out and play, warriors come out and play.

++ New Posts ++