WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Be a tester for Osprey

My daughter and husband are thru hiking, currently in Andover, ME. My daughter loves her Osprey Kestrel backpack. I just found this on their website, too late for us but good deal for a 2014 thru hiker to get some good equipment. http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/join_our_test_team
    Cathy

That's what my husband would call "getting ice cream with your birthday cake!" Wish I could get that deal! Thanks for putting it up.

Section Hiker

I love everything about Osprey packs, except I can't find one that fits me right.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I just applied, thanks for posting!
    The funniest thing, I think, about the trail, is that I was almost always so inexplicably happy. Every night I had the most bizarrely cheerful dreams.
    Late Bloomer

I'm surprised this offer is only available to thru hikers. I backpack about 300 miles a year and will spend about 30 nights in the woods this year. I believe I could evaluate a pack better than someone that may not have any backpacking experience and may bail out at Neels Gap.

And if I were to attempt a Thru-Hike, I'm not entirely convinced that I would carry a phone.
    I'll stick to the 2 packs that I have. I know they fit. I know they work. They ain't broke. No point in fixing them.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    I'm surprised this offer is only available to thru hikers. I backpack about 300 miles a year and will spend about 30 nights in the woods this year. I believe I could evaluate a pack better than someone that may not have any backpacking experience and may bail out at Neels Gap.
    Sorry No Directions but your understanding of thru hiking is misguided. Maybe one day you will get to go on a thru hike and your mind will be blown. More over, 2100 miles of AT hiking wouldn't stand up to even a 1000 miles of PCT hiking. I will only use two kinds of bag, Osprey for hiking and Arcteryx for mountaineering. With enough hiking/climbing one day your pack will save your life.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    Sorry No Directions but your understanding of thru hiking is misguided. Maybe one day you will get to go on a thru hike and your mind will be blown. More over, 2100 miles of AT hiking wouldn't stand up to even a 1000 miles of PCT hiking. I will only use two kinds of bag, Osprey for hiking and Arcteryx for mountaineering. With enough hiking/climbing one day your pack will save your life.
    I have been backpacking for nearly 50 years. I'm pretty sure I have figured out the role of the pack by now.

Section Hiker

I think you missed No Directions' point: Clueless wannabe thru hiker takes a pack for free to evaluate and quits at Neel Gap. I agree a long-time section hiker would know a hell of a lot more than the drop out.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I agree, I think Osprey has enough wit about them to only allow people with very convincing applications that detail a good amount of backpacking experience.
    The funniest thing, I think, about the trail, is that I was almost always so inexplicably happy. Every night I had the most bizarrely cheerful dreams.
    Late Bloomer

I would imagine the selection process will entail a few more inquiries beyond the initial email. I'm curious as to how many testers they take. 25 per trail? I'm sure they will factor in injuries and drop outs.

Back in the day this would have been a dream, when they were based out of Montrose. These days, I dunno.

Now if ULA or MLD had something similar...
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Quote Originally Posted by evansprater View Post
    I agree, I think Osprey has enough wit about them to only allow people with very convincing applications that detail a good amount of backpacking experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I would imagine the selection process will entail a few more inquiries beyond the initial email. I'm curious as to how many testers they take. 25 per trail? I'm sure they will factor in injuries and drop outs.
    Quote Originally Posted by POEDOG View Post
    Back in the day this would have been a dream, when they were based out of Montrose. These days, I dunno.

Now if ULA or MLD had something similar...
    It amazes me that some people think this offer is about getting a free pack in return for nothing as if Osprey is in the biz of mailing out free gear to all who ask or apply. Damn right they are going to want to qualify some things about potential pack donees before being given a pack. Osprey is going to want something in return too.

I've got an osprey aether 70............ It's fantastic.

I used the Osprey 65 last year on the AT.
    Unless something comes along in cuben that fits like this,
    I won't be changing anytime soon!

Thanks for the link

Images

Quote Originally Posted by two isles View Post
    I used the Osprey 65 last year on the AT.
    Unless something comes along in cuben that fits like this,
    I won't be changing anytime soon!

Thanks for the link
    Me too, I have an Osprey Atmos 65, love it. Only change i'd make would be to get rid of the two coinciding side zippers...I didn't use them. I may look into a smaller version, maybe the Ethos 46? Now I need to look at that link
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It amazes me that some people think this offer is about getting a free pack in return for nothing as if Osprey is in the biz of mailing out free gear to all who ask or apply. Damn right they are going to want to qualify some things about potential pack donees before being given a pack. Osprey is going to want something in return too.
    Obviously they want something in return, as stated clearly in this sentence, "You must have the ability to communicate with us via email, photos and/or phone call check-ins as the trip progresses to give us updates on pack performance." It's not like they want your firstborn child.

I don't think anyone here thinks it's about just getting a "free pack in return for nothing as if Osprey is in the biz of mailing out free gear to all who ask or apply". We're not talking about welfare here.
    Last edited by Poedog; 09-12-2013 at 15:17.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

This post is hilarious. This must be the Whiteblaze "noise" I've heard you have to filter through.

Quote Originally Posted by POEDOG View Post
    Obviously they want something in return, as stated clearly in this sentence, "You must have the ability to communicate with us via email, photos and/or phone call check-ins as the trip progresses to give us updates on pack performance." It's not like they want your firstborn child.

I don't think anyone here thinks it's about just getting a "free pack in return for nothing as if Osprey is in the biz of mailing out free gear to all who ask or apply". We're not talking about welfare here.
    So, I must be incorrect in noticing some people want things without having to earn them? You have wisely considered what Osprey wants in return and noted the qualifications of the type of donees Osprey would consider for in the field backpack evaluations. I would sincerely hope all do the same before applying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    So, I must be incorrect in noticing some people want things without having to earn them?
    On the contrary, you are completely correct in your observation. I just didn't see anyone who had posted on this thread that seemed to be under that assumption.

I am not applying, as I am comfortable and confident with my current pack(s) (ULA Circuit and GG Virga). But for a motivated newbie, or someone who is willing to go on a blind date with their gear during a thru, it could be good experience. Or a bad one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++