WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Welcome to The Tribe Cro-Mag/Salad days. Bright invigorating energizing blog with material not all the same as the usual trail blog. With the way you did it it's great to see the evolution you went through with the regular readjusting and adaptation both as a hiker and probably as a person. People who finish long hikes have to be flexible, adapt, and manage themselves and their hikes well. You did that. The ability to learn and do that tells me a lot about a person. Being able to do this as a hiker also tells me that's what they are capable of with other life experiences.

You earned the memories of a lifetime that will never die.

Love the "Out of step with the world" thought.

I would be interested in learning how your broader views of life may have changed post hike from pre-hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Welcome to The Tribe Cro-Mag/Salad days. Bright invigorating energizing blog with material not all the same as the usual trail blog. With the way you did it it's great to see the evolution you went through with the regular readjusting and adaptation both as a hiker and probably as a person. People who finish long hikes have to be flexible, adapt, and manage themselves and their hikes well. You did that. The ability to learn and do that tells me a lot about a person. Being able to do this as a hiker also tells me that's what they are capable of with other life experiences.

You earned the memories of a lifetime that will never die.

Love the "Out of step with the world" thought.

I would be interested in learning how your broader views of life may have changed post hike from pre-hike.
    Thank you Dogwood! I appreciate the kind words.

I learned two important lessons during my hike. I learned that I can put up with discomfort more than I thought I would be able to. The other lesson I learned is how simply I can live my life off the trail. I do not feel the need to have security in material objects.

I will also never complain about having to walk somewhere or how many stairs I need to go up. I'll always take the stairs now.
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

Images

cro-mag, thanks so much for coming back and sharing. i encourage the thrus i meet on the trail to do exactly that. yours and others contributions are what make whiteblaze such a valuable resource for long distance hikersand those thinking of thru hiking.

it is a transformative event to find out how little you truly "need" to find happiness.

Just curious...what happened to the young lady you were hiking with? She was in most of the video but I didn't notice her at the very end. Great advice btw and one of my favorite AT vids. Cat in the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    Just curious...what happened to the young lady you were hiking with? She was in most of the video but I didn't notice her at the very end. Great advice btw and one of my favorite AT vids. Cat in the Hat
    Never mind....I saw her in your most excellent blog.

I learned two important lessons during my hike. I learned that I can put up with discomfort more than I thought I would be able to. The other lesson I learned is how simply I can live my life off the trail. I do not feel the need to have security in material objects.

I will also never complain about having to walk somewhere or how many stairs I need to go up. I'll always take the stairs now.

Do you see how counter culture this is? Do you see it took 5 1/2 months largely abstaining from the influences of society and societal norms to gain these perspectives? Can you now see the VAST extent of those that try to influence on a daily, on a min to min, basis? Let me ask, HOW AWARE DO YOU NOW FEEL?

In a real sense you got sober from the "self serving influences" of modern American society after decades of them having a POWERFUL control over you. You have the choice NOW what path you will continue on. Thru-hiking(long distance hiking) is one of the most self actualizing things you can do! NOTICE the awareness you have gained! That's greater power over your own life. That's taking your life back!

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    Never mind....I saw her in your most excellent blog.
    No problem and thank you

My trail blog:

Step on your Thomas Bagels. I'll have to remember that.

Loved your video compilation. Thanks.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Loved your video compilation. Thanks.
    Glad you enjoyed it, thanks!

My trail blog:

Great Gear list. I too like the evolution of your list. Was ecspecially interested in the jet boil. i was leaning toward getting rid of it. now im probably going to keep.

also liked the "If there is a view, waterfall, tower, etc within 0.5 miles off the trail, go see it. An extra mile might seem annoying, but there are some really interesting things not far off the trail."

It always struck me odd how people wouldn't do such a thing. i mean whats a mile or 5 even in the grand scheme of 2100 miles? Id hike an extra couple miles for a pizza or brewski, this shouldn't be different.

Thanks for some great info

Thanks for the info. Enjoyed the video a lot too. Looks like you had a lot of fun and great hike!

Reading your blog....
    Thanks for posting!

Just read through your blog yesterday. Thanks for the info!

Great post, great vid and I'm going to read the blog. One thing I'm curious about...why did you send back your zip off pants and stick with running shorts. Why not ditch the running shorts and simply zip off the pant bottoms and stow the legs in your pack, or just send those back?
    "Take only pictures; leave only footprints." -- Anonymous

“The contented person enjoys the scenery of a detour.” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
    Great post, great vid and I'm going to read the blog. One thing I'm curious about...why did you send back your zip off pants and stick with running shorts. Why not ditch the running shorts and simply zip off the pant bottoms and stow the legs in your pack, or just send those back?
    Very good question. It was mainly a comfort thing. When I lost weight, the pants did not fit me as well. The zipoff shorts were also a little bit longer than I wanted. I liked the length and comfort of my running shorts. Just preference.

My trail blog:

Thanks for the post. I hope to NOBO Feb 17th. Same taste in food!

Journal Entries

Very helpful; thanks a bill!
    I'm glad to hear the Solitaire tent was useful; am counting on one in my SOBO next year.
    Nick
    Last edited by Nick P; 12-10-2013 at 22:16.

Great post and thanks for the information! I was looking at Frog Togs but think I'll re-evaluate.
    Www.walk4heroes.me
    @walk4heroes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++