WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Davenport Gap - Tri Korner Knob <- one day hike?

Hi,
    we plan to hike the GSMNP in late september: Davenport Gap -> Fontana Dam. We calculated 7 days. Maybe 3 more days up to Wesser with resupply at Fontana Dam.
    As Cosby Knob is closed now, we have to make the first hike to Tri Korner Knob - packed with food for 7 days.
    Our condition: Hiking 6 hours with backpack (tent, food for 2-3 days etc.) has always been fine. But we are from a flat part of germany. The last real up hill hiking is a little time ago.
    What we are asking ourselfs now is:
    - What time would you recommend to plan with? (experiences? minimum - maximum). If we sleep at Davenport Gap Shelter we could get up with the sun so that we have a full day... (?)
    - Do you have any other tips / things we should know for this first day route?

Your looking at about 12 hours from sunrise to sunset. You don't say much about yourself so here is what I would do considering I'm 66 in good condition but I haven't hiked in the mountains in over a year now. I'm 180 lbs at 5'9" and I carry 32 lbs if I'm packing for 7 days. The trip is 15 miles and 12 of it is a steady climb. Consider that it's the first day out and you have six more to go after that first day. Go conservative 9 hours for the 12 miles of climbing and 1.5 for the 3 miles of down hill. That gives you 10.5 hours of walking. I think I could do better that that but form me I wouldn't push myself the first day out. Knowing that you made that 15 miles the first day unless you slow down you are going to be in Fontana before the 7 days are passed

I did GSMNP southbound and I thought the climb up from Davenport Gap was nowhere near as hard as the descent into Fontana Dam. I don't recall it being all that steep - you're just walking uphill for a really long time. Any type of cardio you do now, especially bike riding or running, will pay big dividends on the trail.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

thanks to both of you!
    - 10,5 hours - good to know what we have to expect.
    - cardio when ever possible (besides the usual stuff like bike riding to work and running two times a week): twice as long walks (with fully packed backpacks) our dog will be very happy

Quote Originally Posted by dalamo View Post
    thanks to both of you!
    - 10,5 hours - good to know what we have to expect.
    - cardio when ever possible (besides the usual stuff like bike riding to work and running two times a week): twice as long walks (with fully packed backpacks) our dog will be very happy
    10.5 hours sounds about right. I did it in a little less in late November from the road (about a mile before the shelter), but I was carrying a minimalist pack (but, then again, I have much more than a minimalist amount of body fat...). Much of the trail is a horse trail, which means grades that are not too steep, and a trail that is often smooth without rock.

Be sure to stock up on water at Tricorner, it is a dry ridge after that for quite a while.

It will be a long first day for sure. Be sure to have good headlamps, you maybe doing some hiking at dusk or after dark.

First there is a long, slow climb to Mt Crammerer, then later a short but steep climb out of Low gap to Cosby Knob. Then it is reasonably easy from there on to Tri-corner Knob, with some good views along the way.

Staying at Davenport gap shelter the first night would save a few miles and allow for an early start in the morning. Set an alarm, it is really dark in that shelter, it does not get much morning light.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

you are looking at ~20 miles, which makes for a very long day in the Smokies, regardless of where you are hiking. The first 18 miles are mostly uphill. Some places are gradual, some are not so gradual, but nothing that would fall in the 'steep uphill' category. Occassionally, there will be some sections that appear to be relatively flat. These are also grading slightly uphill when hiking that direction. The section from Cosby to SnakeDen Ridge Trail may be considered 'easy' by some, but it is a gradual uphill the whole way.

NOBO thru hikers will sometimes do the section from Tri-Corner to Davenport (into Standing Bear Hostel) in a single day, but it wears them out, and they are going downhill the whole time. You will need to be in extremely good shape to pull this 20 miler in a single day.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    you are looking at ~20 miles, which makes for a very long day in the Smokies, regardless of where you are hiking. The first 18 miles are mostly uphill. Some places are gradual, some are not so gradual, but nothing that would fall in the 'steep uphill' category. Occassionally, there will be some sections that appear to be relatively flat. These are also grading slightly uphill when hiking that direction. The section from Cosby to SnakeDen Ridge Trail may be considered 'easy' by some, but it is a gradual uphill the whole way.

NOBO thru hikers will sometimes do the section from Tri-Corner to Davenport (into Standing Bear Hostel) in a single day, but it wears them out, and they are going downhill the whole time. You will need to be in extremely good shape to pull this 20 miler in a single day.
    How are you figuring 20 miles from Davenport gap shelter to Tri Corner knob shelter?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    How are you figuring 20 miles from Davenport gap shelter to Tri Corner knob shelter?
    Using Google Earth and GPS data published by UTK, I come up with a total distance of 15 miles and a cumulus elevation gain of about 6,500'

The old rule of thumb is that an average hiker should travel about 2 miles per hour and need to add 1 hour for every 1,000 elevation gain. Based on that rule of thumb, the hike should take 14 hours. But then AT thru hikers are not your 'average' hiker.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

GSMNP campsite closures are usually due to a nuisance bear. When that happens, I believe they close the site for about a month to give the bear a chance to disassociate the site with a source of food.

So keep a lookout on the Temporary Road and Facilities Closures page. With your trip several weeks out, there's a chance Cosby Knob could reopen between now and then.

Images

one alternative would be to start at big creek and head straight up the big creek/ camel gap trail to the A T it is a Kilometer longer yet it saves the two long climbs and puts you past cosby knob. the views are not as nice. but you won't be stopping much to look anyway if you are trying to make time.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    one alternative would be to start at big creek and head straight up the big creek/ camel gap trail to the A T it is a Kilometer longer yet it saves the two long climbs and puts you past cosby knob. the views are not as nice. but you won't be stopping much to look anyway if you are trying to make time.
    I hesitated to suggest alternate paths as that takes you off the AT. But if the OP is open to alternate paths, the thought I had was to hike over to big creek and catch the Benton MacKaye to Laural Gap shelter, then Balsam Mountain trail over to Tricorner Knob.

My buddy and I are having the same logistical issue with our upcoming NFG to davenport gap hike next month. Is Tricorner to davenport gap/I-40 do able in a day? We are in our late 20's decent shape, medium weight packs, our ride will be waiting for us at exit 451 off I-40. Is there anywhere they can park to pick us up that would shorten our final day on the trail?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    My buddy and I are having the same logistical issue with our upcoming NFG to davenport gap hike next month. Is Tricorner to davenport gap/I-40 do able in a day? We are in our late 20's decent shape, medium weight packs, our ride will be waiting for us at exit 451 off I-40. Is there anywhere they can park to pick us up that would shorten our final day on the trail?
    I happen to have a plot of the elevation profile of the AT thru GSMNP at my desk. It shows that Tricorner Knob to Davenport Gap is around 16 miles. Leaving Tricorner, you'll start with a 500' climb, another 500' climb past Cosby Knob, and nearly a 1,000' climb out of Low Gap. There are some other minor ups-n-downs, but otherwise, the NET elevation change from Tricorner down to Davenport Gap is 3,000'.

Now realize I'm taking these measurements off a plot where the whole AT thru GSMNP is printed in an area of 9.5" x 4.4" (so my measurements are gross approximations).

The old 'rule-of-thumb' is you can hike 2mph, but you have to add 1 hour for every 1,000' of elevation gain. That suggests the hike can be completed in 10 hours... however the typical thru-hiker type can do better than the 'rule-of-thumb'.

The AT goes right to the exit at I-40 at Waterville Road. However, a mile before that point the AT crosses 32 at the GSMNP boundary. The distance to Davenport Gap shouldn't include that extra mile, but I don't see much of a parking lot there on Google Earth (but there might be a small pullover). Other wise, if you don't mind going off the AT, you could substitute the last 3 miles down to Davenport Gap with a 2 mile hike down Chestnut Branch to Big Creek Ranger Station where there is a relatively large parking lot.

You could also exit the AT at Low Gap and hike down to Cosby Campground. That would eliminate the climb out of Low Gap and substitute a 7+ mile section of the AT for a 2.5 mile hike to Cosby.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-12-2013 at 11:01. Reason: Add Optional Route

Thanks,

Cosby seems like a good alternative. I feel like we could push our limits and do the 15-17 miles to get to our ride near the interstate. However, that may be pushing it. I don't want to be burned out becasue we plan to day hike a few days after the backpacking portion.

Images

Yes. I did Tricorner Knob to Standing Bear in a single day, and I'm an old out of shape hiker. It's a very long steady downhill, and I was pretty beat up afterward -- good thing I was done for that hike.

Going from Davenport Gap to Tricorner in a day, on the first day with a full load, would definitely be a challenge for me. I could do it, but I'd want a really easy second day on the trail.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Easy day with a light pack, much of it downhill. You can start that at 8am and be out 4pm, including a long stop for lunch. Add a little time if you go to the firetower. (and you probably should)

You ride can pick you up where the AT crosses the road at Dav.Gap. Just because there isnt a parking area there, doesnt mean you cant park on the side of the road for a little while and wait. There is minimal traffic thru there.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-12-2013 at 21:34.

I just finished my section hike from Fontana Dam to Erwin TN (i.e. NOBO). You can read about the trip on my blog below. As for your question, I think it is very doable. Going NOBO that section of trail took us about 5 hours. Considering you are going uphill and you are not used to long ascents you can double that time. You should be fine taking it slow. Enjoy your trip!

Images

shelters are open now BTW at least not closed for bear if I read the website correctly

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    shelters are open now BTW at least not closed for bear if I read the website correctly
    Confirmed! Camp Site #29 is the only one that remains closed at this moment.

Cosby Knob is open for business, and it looks like October weekends are already filling up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++