WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BA Copper Spur UL2

I just bought the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 from REI for a very good sale price. I haven't done many backpacking trips but upgraded from a BA Jack Rabbit SL3 due to weight issues on my previous trips. I am 6'2 280 lbs, so I am relatively a big guy. I upgraded and/or replaced most of my gear to try to get a much lower pack weight due to back problems. I wanted to get an idea of what people this of this tent especially for ones that have done thru hikes as I would like to start planning a thru hike for 2015. Was this a good purchase and will it survive the 6 month trip or should I look for something lighter or smaller or even better. The decision was between this and the Fly Creek UL2 but I felt a bit claustrophobic in there and just not that comfortable. Especially since it wasn't a full freestanding tent. I've looked into tarp tents and hammocks but really didn't like either, so tenting is my preferred shelter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I own this tent, I had the BA Copper Spur UL1 before it was stolen, glad I upgraded to the UL2. Outstanding tent. I also have the Fly Creek 1 but it's just too small for my tastes, fits my daughter just right though.

Section Hiker

I think you got the best you can for your height and I hear they hold up great. Of course, take good care of it. I have the Fly Creek 2, and I like it a lot, but to do over again would get the Copper Spur 2 because of the freestanding issue. My Fly Creek got hailed on Friday night and you'd never know it.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

That's a great tent! It should serve you well!

I went on a 2 day trip over the weekend and really like my Copper Spur. I did want to know though what was the best way to guy out the lines. I felt that I had extra guy lines that I wasn't using and didn't know if I was using it correctly or not. I used all 8 stakes that came with my tent but had 3 other guy lines that weren't tied down. Any help?

Chances are you didn't need to attach the additional guy lines. Those are probably the 'worse case scenario' guy lines where you'd need additional stakes (or rocks or shrubs) to affix the lines to. I've owned tents where I've never attached the 'worse case scenario' guy lines ever. I normally don't take the stakes needed to use them.

++ New Posts ++