WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default eastfork sate park ohio worldwalker perimeter trail

Last weekend i attempted to hike the eastfork lake worldwalker perimeter trail and got so frustrated i gave up. The trail is a 32 mile loop with multiple creek and river crossings and varied terrain. To start i should have purchased the $2 aerial map that showed the trail and other landmarks.

I started in a counter clockwise direction and made camp 3 by evening (11 milesish). The shelter was a nice 3 sided place with a 2ft diameter hole burned in the floor; possible knocked over camp stove? I stayed the night and only had one critter visit in the night, it was a nice quite spot. Is was nice and quite till the sun came up and all i heard was shotgun blasts, it was squirrel season apparently. I proceeded to try and make camp 4 by dark (13ish miles); but, there were several difficult unmarked and over grown cornfield crossings and i got turned around several times. There was a very large cornfield off of ridge rd that did me in. There was a trail sign pointing straight into a cornfield that was way too thick to enter ( this is where a trail map would have been handy). I decided to try and walk around the perimeter of the cornfield and meet the trail on the other side. Little did i know there were other cornfields attached to this large one. Long story short i walked around the cornfield for an hour or two before heading back to the entrance. I was so burnt out and demoralized i called my wife to come and pick me up; i was done and out of water.

I don't understand why the trail is in this condition; should i even be complaining, have i gotten soft? After i got home and looked at the aerial footage of the trail i saw where i was and where i should have been. I was very frustrated; yet, I am motivated to return to that same spot and conquer that damned cornfield then finish the trail. This time i am going to buy a map from the park office to aid in my chances of finishing without getting turned around. If you plan on doing this hike get a map and be ready for the cornfields between shelter 3 and 4. All in all it was a very pretty hike and well worth the hassle of the over grown and beat-up trail ( its shared with horses). Hope this is helpful and if you would like to join me in finishing the trail let me know

Have decided to start where i left off on Friday 9/27 and finish on Saturday afternoon. I am going to meetup with a local backpacking club Saturday and hike a few miles with some new people. Hopefully i can complete the trail in time to meetup with everyone and start the 5 mile hike to shelter 2.I am excited to meet some backpacking friends since i typically hike solo

++ New Posts ++