WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Packa Poncho

I wore mine on most of my thru last year. I strongly rec the eVent version. I found the standard version too clamy.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I am leaning toward a packa, either 33D or 10D. I like the lighter, but don't want it shredded on branches and rocks. I don't plan to use it for bushwacking, but the trail always has blowdowns to scramble over, rocks, over growth, etc. Any more advice on the different weights by experienced users?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    What are the benefits over a rain jacket? My O2 jacket is 5oz. And why need a pack cover with a bag liner? Rain jacket is a layer when the pack is off. Hmm
    I really like my Packa. One thing I like is that you don't need a separate pack cover. The best part is that you don't have to take your pack off to put the Packa on or off. If you are expecting rain, you can leave it on the pack as a cover and just pull out the hood and arms as needed, then tuck back in when not needed. It's long enough that I don't wear rain pants, just gaitors. I have a cuben pack, so I don't need a pack liner. So my 12 oz Packa saves me 5 oz for the rain jacket, plus 3.5 oz for the pack cover, plus 7 oz for the rain pants. Net weight savings 3.5 oz.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's definitely possible to not wear pants w/ the packa. Most of the time I don't but I lug these guys around just in case...

http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/r...lite-chaps.cfm

The flap in the rear of the packa works perfectly w/ the chaps.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++