WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

I was using a ENO but then I got a deal on a TarpTent Contrail and went back to the ground because of the huge weight savings.
    RIAP

Images

Warbonnet 1.0 double. Wife hangs in a 1.1 single. We sleep GOOD!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I started with a Hennessey, then moved to a JRB Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock for greater comfort. If I'm going out for a short time where I know it'll be buggy, I still use the Hennessey with its built-in bugnet. (I usually split my ticket when voting, too!)
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Blackbird Double 1.1 also.

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double. Love it! Wish I could sleep in it in my house!

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    I started out with a Hennesy Asym and realized that the weight was just to heavy compared to other options. I then converted to a Hennesy Hammock Hyperlite and still realized for what it was it was still to heavy compared to a tarptent and other cottage shop hammocks that were on the market. Upgraded to a Dream Hammock Darien UL with a Hammock Gear cuban fiber fly and couldn't be happier. My set up weights less than most tarp tent options like a Henry Shire Contrail or Notch. I couldn't be happier with the products im using from Papasmurff from Dream Hamocks and Adam from Hamock Gear. Both guys are awesome to work with.
    I dropped nearly 5 oz off my HH Asym by switching out to Ansel whoopie slings with Ti Dutch hardware, aftermaket cuben rain fly, and cuben stuff sack(could leave it at home too).

Images

Speer hammock, Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL hammock, JRB Bridge hammock, DIY bridge hammock
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

HH Hyperlite and MacCat tarp.
    I am going to change it up to a Darien UL.

Both the Hyperlite and MacCat did awesome on the thru!

(check out hammockforums.net)

Images

warbonnet blackbird

Just got my Hennessey Expedition Zip Saturday and loving it.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Images

Anybody use a Grand Trunk double hammock? I just bought one from the Clymb. They gave me a $20 credit (which would have expired tomorrow) and $20 off their discounted price. This thing will be delivered for $28. It comes with the hanging ropes too. I figure I can sell it for about that if it doesn't work out. The only reviews are on Amazon and seem good but I doubt those reviews are from LD backpackers.

First hammock was a Hennessy and probably would have given up on hammocking as it was very uncomfortable but fortunately purchased a WBBB and found what a difference it made in getting a good nights sleep, so I use it year round unless the temps are into the teens. I gave the Hennessy away.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    First hammock was a Hennessy and probably would have given up on hammocking as it was very uncomfortable but fortunately purchased a WBBB and found what a difference it made in getting a good nights sleep, so I use it year round unless the temps are into the teens. I gave the Hennessy away.

This will be the first time for me and I have no clue how I'll make out. I really believe it would have helped me in VT and NH the last couple of years. I figure I'll do a few trial runs here in Florida... probably in the Citrus Tract or maybe in Ocala.

I've looked at hammocks before but stayed away due to weight but I'm rethinking it and now believe I can do the hammock thing at or a little below my current tent weight, I'll have to do some experimenting to find out for sure, it will depend on how much my UQ and TQ end up weighing which I have yet to make. I've made two hammocks, a single and a double, the one I see using is 13 oz, 11' long. The tarp at present is 12' long x 10' wide, I'll need to shave some weight off it.

I personally own a Clark NX 250, Dream Hammocks Thunderbird, Tree to Tree Gear, Claytor Jungle, Warbonnet Ridgerunner and an ENO. I had a Warbonnet Blackbird but didn't care for it. My current favorite is my Ridgerunner.

Cat in the Hat

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 single paired with a Warbonnet edge tarp, 3 season yeti underquilt, and a golite 3 season topquilt.

Awesome and highly recommended.

However, it is a little on the heavy side. But I could reduce weight by switching to a 1.1 single with whoopie slings, but Im happy with what I have right now.

For a thru, I would go with a darien dream with a hammock gear cuben fiber tarp.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Warbonnet Traveler 1.1 single - 7.7 oz with whoopee slings.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Default What brand Hammock do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 single paired with a Warbonnet edge tarp, 3 season yeti underquilt, and a golite 3 season topquilt.

Awesome and highly recommended.

However, it is a little on the heavy side. But I could reduce weight by switching to a 1.1 single with whoopie slings, but Im happy with what I have right now.

For a thru, I would go with a darien dream with a hammock gear cuben fiber tarp.
    I hike the Long Trail last year with a Darien UL hammock. It is light, but I think the 1.0 single layer is too light.

Laying in the hammock feels like you are a watermelon, or a cantaloupe being carried in a plastic grocery bag. There's not a lot of support. You really sink right down into it. I weigh 180.

Not being negative but that's my experience.

Journal Entries

Maybe I'm the last one to find out but I just saw that ENO is coming out with a new model. It seems to be a single nest with a integrated zippered big net, called the Jungle Nest. It weighs in at 1lb 11oz which isn't too bad. At 99 bucks it may make my birthday wish list. Has anyone seen one in person yet?
    RIAP

Images

Wbbb 1.1 double. I recommend the double cause skeeters can't get you through it. I also have a couple Hennessy asym's that I use to introduce people to hammocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++