WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Looking at getting an ENO Jungle Nest hammock. I figure its tough to beat for $100.
    "You can shear a sheep many times, but only skin him once...."

I have a Grand Trunk Travel Hammock I purchased "on sale" to find out if I like a camping hammock.

I like it well enough to purchase their Nano.

I make my own. One woodland 1.9oz, and one multi 1.9oz - both cam - both diez feet.

u.w.

Have a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7, Dutch PolyD 1.4, Dutch Argon 1.6. Have on order a Hammeck DL PolyD 1.4, and a Dream Hammock HyperD 1.6 - going to test out both of those and see which'll go on the trail with me. Oh, all are 11'.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I have a Grand Trunk Travel Hammock I purchased "on sale" to find out if I like a camping hammock.

I like it well enough to purchase their Nano.
    you go, Connie! I am a real fan of that hammock.
    Lazarus

BIAS Weight Weenie Micro and a Camper, and a Warbonnet BB

I have just got into hammock camping and I love it. I am working on a system now to accompany me on my 2016 thru. I use ENO, but am searching for more lightweight equipment and a way to add warmth to my system. Unless I can find something better, I will stick with mostly ENO. I do like the Atlas straps, they make setup and take down fast.

Abatis, do some research and read, read, read!!! There's SO much better than ENO out there. A simple $32 11' long hammock from dutchwaregear.com gives superior comfort and weighs about 9.5 ounces. Suspension is also superior to the heavy and bulky Atlas straps (4.5 ounces for a complete Dutch Speed Hook setup with tree straps - very easy to adjust as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    Abatis, do some research and read, read, read!!! There's SO much better than ENO out there. A simple $32 11' long hammock from dutchwaregear.com gives superior comfort and weighs about 9.5 ounces. Suspension is also superior to the heavy and bulky Atlas straps (4.5 ounces for a complete Dutch Speed Hook setup with tree straps - very easy to adjust as well).
    Thanks, will do.

Images

Abatis1948 ....there will be a large group hang in Florida this Jan. Recommend you attend it so you can check out the different set ups and get some ideas.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Grizz-Bridge.......oh soo comfy

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Walmart Brand. :-P Seriously though, this hammock has been a life saver. I have never been farther than a couple miles from the car with it, but it has lasted me two-three years of here-there use. Car-Camping, Back-packing. Canoe-camping. I use cheap tree bands, original rope, etc.

I am updating to a light hammock for my section hike next may, but this hammock has help up for being a twenty dolor hammock.

Hammeck, Hennessy and DIY.

Journal Entries

Been in a HH Exped for a while but just got my WB Blackbird and love it. The fabric feels nice. The side zip is great. My HH is bottom entry so the side zip is super. The shelf is awesome. Foot box is great too. First trip in it this weekend!
    hikers gonna hike

Like every piece of gear, you need to create a list of desired requirements, desired max weight, ease of set up and takedown, insulation method, and extra perks; along with your bottom line $$. I use a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 (versus a 1.7) Double Layer hammock at 28 oz. including the non detachable bug net. It sets up quickly and easily with the Straps provided and the buckles to adjust, while also using Dutch Clips purchased seperately. It packs in a double sided stuff sac that came with the hammock. I originally used a pad, thus the double layer, but also wanted protection against mosquitoes and also getting a more "stiff" support for sleep and better weight bearing with less sag. The DL also provides a place to stick "damp" cloths, (inbetween layers) between my body and my Under Quilt, which does allow some drying to occur. Extra's include the gear pocket by the head and the footbox that allows a better angled lay with less calf stress and a flatter sleep position. I was already to purchase a Tarp Tent and decided to spend the $175 instead of the $225, thinking that I wouldn't risk losing that much in a resale. Was a non issue! 1st Night sleep was better than any recent night on the ground so I am "hung up on hammocks". Those that beleive in Warbonnet usually now choose the XLC at a slight weight penalty to be able to fully unzip and remove the bugnet when not needed. There are some other choices at Warbonnet as well. Other cottages out there to consider: Dream Hammock, Wilderness Logic... most providing a ready to go, full service hammock out of the sac, for those not sure they want to DIY or Build a system.

If one does, the choices become even greater with the new Dutch wit on down the line, adding a Fronkey Bugnet, choosing, creating, or swapping out woopie slings and other suspension straps and choices. I'm too old a Dog to learn to many new tricks lol, so I made the choice I made.

ENO has been good about getting people into thinking hammocks. However, most hangers move on to other choices that better meet their desired requirements (stated in the 1st paragraph). Hope this helps a little.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I bought my first hammock, a ENO Doublenest, about a month ago along with the Atlas straps, Profly tarp, and insect netting. Due to illness, I haven't had the chance to use it yet and, unless I get an underquilt, probably won't until next year.
    There's no such thing as cold weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Hennessy Hyperlight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ENO, with mods. Replaced boat-anchor carabiners with the lightest climbing-grade 'biners I could find. Replaced fat end-ropes with lighter line loops. Ditched the slap-straps for a DIY line and tree-strap. Added a MLD cuben tarp. Kept the built in pouch, cram the line and straps in with it.

Recently bought my first hammock...Hammeck Netty 1.6 Hexon.
    "Be the change that you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mapman View Post
    Recently bought my first hammock...Hammeck Netty 1.6 Hexon.
    That's a nice hammock! Was so so so close to getting it as well. Enjoy it!
    hikers gonna hike

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++