WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Can of Worms

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Can of Worms

Is it just me or are more & more thru-hiker slack packing & staying in hotels, hostels or with trail friends than they are sleeping in the woods?? I thought the main part of going to the wilderness was to experience the wilderness?? Strange??
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

yeah you may have opened it up.....time to get some popcorn
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

If I were given the choice I would stay in a motel/hotel every night if I could afford it. I love hiking but don't really enjoy camping all that much. To each his own.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

I call em' Hostel Hoppers......

Images

IMO many newer hikers with less outdoor experience do not know now to get comfortable in the woods. Bugs, shelter mice, bad weather all can send some straight to the nearest town or other civilized shelter. A real thru hiker limits town stays and spends most of his day hiking then camping.....popcorn ready yet?....

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Does it really matter? As long as the person is enjoying their hike, and not have an effect on yours, it is all good. Right?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Yes, there seems to be tons of slackpacking going on these days. One of the things I've really loved about section hiking, especially now that I'm retired, is not having to focus on miles per day. Generally my hiking is linear and with my full pack on my back and at a leisurely (many would call it slow) pace. If I can stay in a hostel or hotel once per week and combine that with a big breakfast and a resupply that's plenty for me. Experiencing the wilderness is a big part of why I hike, too. But to each his/her own, I guess. Can of worms, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Does it really matter? As long as the person is enjoying their hike, and not have an effect on yours, it is all good. Right?
    Exactly this. There is no right or wrong way to hike the trail, and we shouldn't judge people for doing it their own way.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

I'm with Mags. The true challenge is in the hike from Georgia to Maine, or vice versa. When it comes to HYOH, it matters not (to me) where people sleep.
    We are all one big human family.

Images

We do say Hike Your Own Hike, not Backpack Your Own Backpack....

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Yes, there seems to be tons of slackpacking going on these days. One of the things I've really loved about section hiking, especially now that I'm retired, is not having to focus on miles per day. Generally my hiking is linear and with my full pack on my back and at a leisurely (many would call it slow) pace. If I can stay in a hostel or hotel once per week and combine that with a big breakfast and a resupply that's plenty for me. Experiencing the wilderness is a big part of why I hike, too. But to each his/her own, I guess. Can of worms, for sure.
    The more backpackers slackpack and stay in motels, the more of the woods there are for me. This is the perfect solution.

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    I'm with Mags. The true challenge is in the hike from Georgia to Maine, or vice versa. When it comes to HYOH, it matters not (to me) where people sleep.
    I'm just the opposite. To me Bag Nights are what it's all about, the forced march thruhike is secondary.

Last edited by BirdBrain; 09-18-2013 at 00:22.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I'm just the opposite. To me Bag Nights are what it's all about, the forced march thruhike is secondary.
    Well, Tipi, your outside habits seem to border more on exceptions than norms. And nothing wrong with that.
    We are all one big human family.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Nobody opens cans of worms anymore, the freezedried worm pouches are much lighter.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Ha! A number 10 can full of worms was good enough for me in the Boy Scouts back in '75, and it's good enough for me now! You whippersnappers are all going to die of starvation out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Nobody opens cans of worms anymore, the freezedried worm pouches are much lighter.
    ....Unless of course you could access the app that brings up the spreadsheet, that shows the closest pizza delivery points (listed by GPS coordinates) but don't get me started on "those people" (!)

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    Ha! A number 10 can full of worms was good enough for me in the Boy Scouts back in '75, and it's good enough for me now! You whippersnappers are all going to die of starvation out there!
    Canned food and possibly canned worms is fine with me. On my last trip I took out 18 fresh eggs for a 16 day trip---see fotogs:

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I cannot agree more with Tiptoe, my hiking 'style' is similar. I go out to disconnect and be with the 'whole' of nature and sub community of section hikers. I like to share the experience. Can of worms? Yuppers. Technology has blurred the lines. It is great or it is a burden. To be open minded means to look at hiking styles through different lenses. My lens is one of purity at the point I follow the same philosophy as Tiptoe and some others. Slack packing can be very helpful for some. I slacked some through the tri state area on the AT because it helped them not give up on the trail experience. Sometimes on a thru hike you may need to switch things up a bit. I just hate that people skip states and take specific pictures to say they did the whole trail. I'm a hiker, I'm a backpacker, I was a thru hiker, I was on a planned (this year) flip flop that flopped with thirteen years of zero days in between. Now I am a section hiker who dreams of sectioning two more states (Mass and Vermont). If I could slack pack some of it I would. Why? because I have physical and mental issues. Slacking would help me get over some obstacles and allow for more intense observation of my experiences out in the wild.
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Slackpacking to me is what all Americans do anyway and on a daily basis: Drive to a walmart, walk thru the parking lot, shop, walk back to the car. Drive home and sleep. All done without a pack. Yes, believe or not but there's some walking involved. Otherwise, instead of hiking on asphalt we're talking about people hiking on a trail, without a pack, and letting a car do most of the hauling.

Is it possible to slackpack and not see the dreaded wheeled rolling couch for a week? Nope.

We all have to walk our own roads
    We can't always go where we're told
    In the end where we'll end up, God only knows
    We all have to walk our own roads

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++